Pages:
Author

Topic: Sabatoge: "Losing" Bitcoins (AKA the Goldfinger Attack) - page 2. (Read 5943 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006
I will be delighted if it turns out my hypothesis is incorrect.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
How is burning your own money an attack on the economy?
legendary
well, the idea is totally absurd. it's like saying "let's buy all the gold in the world, and blast it into space!"

If an exchange attacker could hijack a lot of coins at once (totally absurd, right?) this could quite conceivably happen.

Don't make it sound like its horrendously expensive to destroy the only link to the hypothetically hijacked coins.

It isn't. Its called a hard drive shredder.

Please answer my question. I sincerely want to know the answer.

legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
well, the idea is totally absurd. it's like saying "let's buy all the gold in the world, and blast it into space!"
legendary
How will fractional transactions be expressed if such a sabatoge took place?

Seems cumbersome to ask for 10^-8.002345 coins as payment for a product or service.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
You guys assume the 2.1e15 units are sufficient. Which I personally doubt.
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
not practical, because bitcoins are divisible to 8 decimal places.
Activity: 327
Merit: 124
Is it possible to sabotage Bitcoin by accumulating coins (through purchase, theft, or exchange breach, etc.) and then deliberately destroy the wallet that contains the key to these coins?

Presumably these coins are henceforth lost, essentially.

Yes, you can permanently lose Bitcoins by losing the private keys for them, or by sending them to an address which does not correspond to a key.

When this happens, it doesn't sabotage Bitcoin, it just makes every one elses Bitcoins slightly more valuable.

legendary
Is it possible to sabotage Bitcoin by accumulating coins (through purchase, theft, or exchange breach, etc.) and then deliberately destroy the wallet that contains the key to these coins?

Presumably these coins are henceforth lost, essentially.

Pages:
Jump to: