Pages:
Author

Topic: same public key - page 3. (Read 3168 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
June 29, 2013, 06:26:08 PM
Exactly it is that simple.  The Bitcoin network has no concept of "ownership" only authentication.  If one can sign a transaction with a valid private key they can spend the coins.  If someone generates an address which produces the same public key as your address then they can spend your coins.

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
June 29, 2013, 06:05:25 PM
Your question was answered though it might not have been very obvious.

Isn't the following extremely clear?

If it ever happened, it would mean you can steal the money in there.
edd
donator
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001
June 29, 2013, 05:58:13 PM
Amazing how one gets bashed and degraded simply because for asking a legitimate question.

I wasn't asserting that the theoretical possibility of two identical addresses is an imminent weakness of bitcoin.

If you read my post carefully you probably recognize that I am simply asking whether there is a mechanism in the software that somehow prevents two identical addresses (meanwhile I found out from your responses that there's not) and secondly, I wonder what the implications would be if  there were two identical addresses in the system. To this question you have failed to provide a profound answer yet, since you obviously prefer to bash people than to provide instructive explanations (which of course requires more intelligence and respect for other people that don't share the same level of knowledge yet).

I think this attitude is not beneficial for mainstream adoption of bitcoin.

Your question was answered though it might not have been very obvious. The result of such an astronomically unlikely event would be the same as if you were struck by lightning, hit by a car, and attacked by a great white shark in the middle of the Sahara desert at the same time: it would be (potentially) very bad for you, the victim, it would get a lot of attention and many others would probably worry about the same thing happening to them despite the odds against it while the rest of us and our descendants would happily use bitcoins until the universe ended without ever experiencing anything similar.

Hope that satisfies you.
legendary
June 29, 2013, 05:56:56 PM
Amazing how one gets bashed and degraded simply because for asking a legitimate question.

I wasn't asserting that the theoretical possibility of two identical addresses is an imminent weakness of bitcoin.

If you read my post carefully you probably recognize that I am simply asking whether there is a mechanism in the software that somehow prevents two identical addresses (meanwhile I found out from your responses that there's not) and secondly, I wonder what the implications would be if  there were two identical addresses in the system. To this question you have failed to provide a profound answer yet, since you obviously prefer to bash people than to provide instructive explanations (which of course requires more intelligence and respect for other people that don't share the same level of knowledge yet).

You were bashed for not using the search function

It wouldn't really be that disastrous. But no, there is no system to prevent two addresses from colliding. If it ever happened, it would mean you can steal the money in there.

has been discussed 9001 times. please search for answer kthx

Also, search
Activity: 96
Merit: 18
June 29, 2013, 05:45:20 PM

If you read my post carefully you probably recognize that I am simply asking whether there is a mechanism in the software that somehow prevents two identical addresses (meanwhile I found out from your responses that there's not) and secondly, I wonder what the implications would be if  there were two identical addresses in the system. To this question you have failed to provide a profound answer yet, since you obviously prefer to bash people than to provide instructive explanations (which of course requires more intelligence and respect for other people that don't share the same level of knowledge yet).

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
June 29, 2013, 05:27:56 PM
Hashing takes far less work than generating keypairs, and so far the bitcoin network has done something like 270 hashes in 4.5 years.

noob response: oh, we are already half way.

For noobs;

2^70=22 digits
2^140=43 digits
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
June 29, 2013, 05:26:01 PM
Hashing takes far less work than generating keypairs, and so far the bitcoin network has done something like 270 hashes in 4.5 years.

noob response: oh, we are already half way.
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
June 29, 2013, 05:22:56 PM
legendary
June 29, 2013, 05:22:45 PM
give up people.

some people just cannot comprehend so big numbers.
I guess so
So disappointing
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
June 29, 2013, 05:20:45 PM
give up people.

some people just cannot comprehend so big numbers.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
June 29, 2013, 05:18:34 PM
It would be much easier to crack that SHA256 address. The solution to both is to not keep all your coins in one address.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
June 29, 2013, 05:16:10 PM
Many commercial entities will use a new address for each transaction. If bitcoin will be widely adopted someday the amount of used bitcoin addresses will be also very big. Of course the probability of two identical addresses will still be very small... but it will be there, nonetheless.
I simply wonder what the implications would be if that happened.

Nope.  Very big and 2^160 big are two different things.   It is like saying if we can go to mars (very far away from the earth) in a year then obviously we could just keep going and get to the nearest star "soon" doing the same thing.

Maybe this helps:
if a billion people, each used a billion new addresses, every second continuously for the next billion years that would be less than 1/460,000,000,000th of 1% of possible addresses in 2^160.
legendary
June 29, 2013, 05:14:36 PM
Many commercial entities will use a new address for each transaction. If bitcoin will be widely adopted someday the amount of used bitcoin addresses will be also very big. Of course the probability of two identical addresses will still be very small... but it will be there, nonetheless.
Obvious lack of sense of proportion
Did you ever wonder about the implications of being hit by 3 lightnings simultaneously on the right eye, the left feet and the belly button?

Also, search
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
June 29, 2013, 05:12:16 PM

Chance would be the address was used 10 years ago by someone, and they've lost the privkey by now anyway. Always a good idea to empty old addresses right? Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
June 29, 2013, 05:10:24 PM
has been discussed 9001 times. please search for answer kthx
Activity: 96
Merit: 18
June 29, 2013, 05:09:16 PM
legendary
June 29, 2013, 05:04:33 PM
Number of water molecules on Earth: 4.68 x 1046
Number of keys possible: 2 ^ 160 = 1.5 x 1048 = 30 * Number of water molecules on Earth

Imagine you choose one water molecule on Earth (anywhere: in ocean, your kitchen, your cat's lung, Kim Jung Il's hair, etc) and I do the same without us communicating
The possibility of address collision is 30 times lower than the possibility of us chosing the same water molecule

Even if choose billions of water molecules (which is 1000000000000000 tinier than a glass of water) instead of just one, do you realize how ridiculously impossible it is for us to have even one shared molecule?
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
June 29, 2013, 05:03:36 PM
From another thread just yesterday, there are exactly:

p = FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFE FFFFFC2F

= 2^256 − 2^32 − 2^9 − 2^8 − 2^7 − 2^6 − 2^4 − 1

possible key pairs in the Bitcoin system. 

However, because of the way Bitcoin addresses are calculated there are "only" 2^160 possible Bitcoin addresses.

So 2^160 is the number you are dealing with when talking about Bitcoin address collisions. 

This number is big.  Really, really big.  The probablity of a collision is so small that it will never happen.
Yep, 2^160 ~ 1.46x10^48 = 48 zeros!
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
June 29, 2013, 04:52:28 PM
From another thread just yesterday, there are exactly:

p = FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFE FFFFFC2F

= 2^256 − 2^32 − 2^9 − 2^8 − 2^7 − 2^6 − 2^4 − 1

possible key pairs in the Bitcoin system.  

However, because of the way Bitcoin addresses are calculated there are "only" 2^160 possible Bitcoin addresses.

So 2^160 is the number you are dealing with when talking about Bitcoin address collisions.  

This number is big.  Really, really big.  The probablity of a collision is so small that it will never happen.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
June 29, 2013, 04:29:17 PM
How do you prevent yourself from being simultaneously struck by lightening and a meteorite while also being bitten by a mosquito that gives you West Nile virus as your house is being swallowed by a sinkhole caused by an earthquake?
Pages:
Jump to: