Pages:
Author

Topic: Same sex marriage & cultural jousting at the Supreme Court. - page 2. (Read 713 times)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0
Is this ruling in keeping with the constitutional principles of the United States?

I do not think so. Though lacking consistent constitutional principles the opinion and dissents do continue the Supreme Court practice of a political representation purpose of the court with the predominating morals of the majority being presented as the meaning of the Constitution.

What impact do you see this having on our society?

It has a bad effect upon society as it further cements the Constitution as an unprincipled document without a purpose to protect rights nor limit government to prevent the government from exceeding its Constitutional purpose and trample upon those rights.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Is this ruling in keeping with the constitutional principles of the United States?

This is kind of a no-brainier, it is basically identical to Loving vs Virginia, and no one today really thinks that was a bad decision either- however- we had the same yelping from the right wing then as well. Same claim that the blacks were going for your daughters etc.

Well, might hurt my states economy with it's near lock on same sex wedding ceremonies and that is about it.
Activity: 31

It's equality under the law, so absolutely yes.

More people will have the legal option to get married. That will probably mean more people getting married, but not necessarily so. The option hasn't gained a whole lot of interest among younger generations for several reasons, economics being high on the list. Informal and temporary partnerships seem to be more favored, but that might change as the generations age.

I don't think that we'll see any change in the divorce rate, as expressed by a percentage. It might rise but along the lines of a trend that's been going on anyway.

Businesses involved in putting on marriage ceremonies should see a rise in activity as demand increases. Some will opt out, as has been seen before, but I suppose most will want the added income.

Religions might change, probably not very quickly.

It'll be interesting to see how employers react. I expect that some will use sneaky discrimination to not hire people in same-sex marriages, similar to how ageism and racism are done. Other employers will likely see the commitment as a positive sign of maturity and reliability. Big employers, especially those in forward-tech fields, will likely not care one way or another. Just do the work, eh?

Politically, I expect lots of whining and maybe some violence from the crazy fringes.
Activity: 23
Here is the opinion handed down by the Supreme Court regarding Same-Sex Marriage in the United States:

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/fixgov/posts/2015/06/29-obergefell-same-sex-marriage-lempert

Pages:
Jump to: