Pages:
Author

Topic: Sapphire 5850 Fan Dead - page 6. (Read 24941 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
June 16, 2011, 08:44:51 PM
Do not put WD40 on the fan. That's is the worst lubricant to use in a very dust heavy area. WD40 is sticky, and dust likes to find its way into every nook and cranny. The result: A fan that moves even slower.
Activity: 686
Merit: 564
June 16, 2011, 08:28:11 PM
Ouch. The usual recommendation is to use light oil/sewing machine oil rather than WD40 for sticking fans, but yours really shouldn't have failed this early on. Besides, I've generally found that it only helps for a few months before you have to re-oil.

I've never oiled the fan bearings on anything as high end as a 5850, but you'll almost certainly have to remove the fan and heatsink from the card completely, because the hole for oiling is pretty much always hidden under a sticker on the underside of the fan.

Warranty replacement is probably your best option?
Activity: 560
Merit: 517
June 16, 2011, 07:37:34 PM
One of my Sapphire 5850s now has a stiff fan. It only gets about 500 RPM, where it should be getting 5000.  Cry

I took the card out, and manually turning the fan is stiff. It still turns, but not smooth and nice like the other cards. No idea what happened; it's a month old. Sapphire support will RMA it, but I have to pay shipping to their facility and I'm without a card for who knows how long.

All tech support could suggest is to "air dust" it and put WD40 on the fan. I doubt dust is to blame for a stiff fan, but I'll dust it regardless. As for the WD40 suggestion ... I'm not even sure how I would get WD40 onto the fan's internals. I guess I have to some how get the plastic casing on the card off, and carefully drip oil to the base of the fan. God knows what will happen if I accidentally get WD40 on the heat sinks  Undecided

Anyone have some ideas?
Pages:
Jump to: