Pages:
Author

Topic: Satoshi's price - page 2. (Read 2143 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010
https://www.bitcoin.com/
June 25, 2014, 06:14:44 PM
I guess if its true that Satoshi mined about 1 million bitcoins in the early days then he must have thought it might be worth something in years to come.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
I'm really quite sane!
June 25, 2014, 06:03:44 PM
Does anybody know if Satoshi had any idea what price bitcoins may get to once all coins are mined and it is being used by a large percentage of people, or was he not really interested in that side of things?

How could he? I don't think that anything like Bitcoin has been done before, so there's no historic comparison he could make.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195
June 25, 2014, 11:49:10 AM
He made a decision to make the base integer unit in the protocol equivalent to 0.00000001 BTC.  That would seem to imply that he may have believed that BTC could increase in value to the point where 0.01 µBTC would be able to purchase approximately the same amount of goods or services as $0.01 can purchase today.

I think he was smart enough to realise the potential or to at least accommodate for the potential of it. I'm guessing Satoshi wasn't into wildly speculation on the price, but he seemed to be aware of who would take advantage of the technology from what I've read so he must've know it could very well become quite valuable.
Activity: 230
Merit: 100
Come original.
June 25, 2014, 11:44:29 AM
I think people assign too much importance to the fiat value of Bitcoin. 1 Bitcoin is always worth 1 Bitcoin remember.
Activity: 518
Merit: 250
June 25, 2014, 10:18:54 AM
He made a decision to make the base integer unit in the protocol equivalent to 0.00000001 BTC.  That would seem to imply that he may have believed that BTC could increase in value to the point where 0.01 µBTC would be able to purchase approximately the same amount of goods or services as $0.01 can purchase today.

I agree on this, he also designed the system so that bitcoin would be deflationary. This suggests he knew the market price would rise, even if he is not interested in fiat.

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
June 25, 2014, 10:11:51 AM

Satoshi was not interested in the FIAT value of Bitcoin. He wanted Bitcoin to be an independent medium of exchange.

Agreed. Nobody cares what the exchange rate between USD and Zimbabwe dollar is.
Similarly, if fiat currencies keep inflating, then the fiat value of Bitcoin really doesn't matter and would keep increasing.
Activity: 250
Merit: 253
June 25, 2014, 09:53:03 AM
Does anybody know if Satoshi had any idea what price bitcoins may get to once all coins are mined and it is being used by a large percentage of people, or was he not really interested in that side of things?

Satoshi was not interested in the FIAT value of Bitcoin. He wanted Bitcoin to be an independent medium of exchange.
What a silly point of view. Even if it's entirely independent and people aren't exchanging fiat for Bitcoin, there'd be a buying power equivalency that'd be sensible to discuss. Can you show that was actually Satoshi's view?
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
June 25, 2014, 09:29:40 AM
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204
The revolution will be digital
June 25, 2014, 09:06:01 AM

Activity: 644
Merit: 500
June 25, 2014, 09:01:09 AM

Well I think he wasn't sure that the protocol was going to work from the beginning, that people would notice it and start mining. Seriously none of us know and I think it's the same about him.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010
https://www.bitcoin.com/
June 25, 2014, 08:57:00 AM
Pages:
Jump to: