Pages:
Author

Topic: Scam ICO's and where to find them - page 2. (Read 208 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 40
“The Premier Digital Asset Management Ecosystem”
March 21, 2018, 07:27:47 AM
What I mostly do is verify the pictures who they use on the team page. Sometimes I see pictures who they have picked up from websites like Pixabay. That means for me that the team is mostly fake and a simple reason to not to invest in that ICO.
Activity: 686
Merit: 251
March 21, 2018, 07:25:11 AM
You can spot them very easy. Join their telegram channel and ask meaningfull questions about their project.
If they cannot answer logic way the project will lead to a scam.
Also if they have not a discussion channel this will lead to scam too.

That's the way to find stupid/lazy ass ico's  Grin  But you're right.  But don't forget that tehre are some high profile scams too.  I'm on to some (not calling names yet) but there are some ico's that go far in their scamming.  They create multiple fake websites, they act like their idea is well thought through.  They have WP that actually mean something so they can answer your questions.  They have very very active telegram moderators etc  One big show in order to gain trust and earn millions.  And they will, there will even be token distribution and trading.  The only thing that will never exist for these coins/ico's is a working product.  There will just be moving around of money.  And I'm afraid this is the case for 90% of the ico's today.
Activity: 182
Merit: 0
March 21, 2018, 07:22:05 AM
I just participated in Denaro, they scammed people for 10 million dollars, its very sad to see this things happen, thats why im all for KYC and regulations, i know a lot of people think we should not go that way, but crypto world is really bad without regulations
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
March 21, 2018, 07:20:11 AM
You can spot them very easy. Join their telegram channel and ask meaningfull questions about their project.
If they cannot answer logic way the project will lead to a scam.
Also if they have not a discussion channel this will lead to scam too.
Activity: 224
Merit: 11
The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet
March 21, 2018, 07:11:57 AM
too many scam ico in china now!! I hate it
Yes, most of the time, if not a big bull market, then I would avoid ICO project in China, because China's ICO project looks more like a speculation, is more like a ponzi scheme.
Activity: 518
Merit: 11
March 21, 2018, 07:11:45 AM
yes you are right for now it is very difficult and for linkedin also very easy to make instant with fake follower better if deeper into investor an ICO you have to see actual information in google also including expertise they have ask to institute that ever know the ICO developer team, or the easiest you can see at https://icobench.com/ I see they provide KYC for the ICO leaders and they have a mark if it has passed verification that prove the founder is genuine or not.
March 21, 2018, 07:10:30 AM
Oh and don't forget to Google the person apart from Linkedin

Is this person mentioned/referred to in ANY way prior to the launch of the ico?  Did you do an images search for his photo?  Does he have a facebookaccount that was there years ago?  

Did you fid any addresses?  

If you CAN NOT find information about the TEAM (and not just one person) PRIOR to the linkedin created for this ICO there is only one conclusion:

DO  NOT  TRUST  THEM!

Oh and there's more!

It's NOT because a 'company' is located in Switzerland that they're to be trusted.
It's NOT because they CLAIM they have investors aboard that this is true.
It's NOT because the ico is only during a short period that the ico is 'hot'.
It's NOT because there is a max. contribution per person that the ico is 'hot' or 'fair'.
It's NOT because there are 4k people on telegram that there are 4k people on telegram (if you catch my drift)
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
March 21, 2018, 07:06:38 AM
too many scam ico in china now!! I hate it
March 21, 2018, 07:05:16 AM
A lot of ICO's are pure scams these days.  In fact I'm starting to assume most are...  Now where do you start to look when you want to find out if an ICO is a scam or not.

Start by getting in the mind of the scammer.  The scammer knows he's a scammer.  So what does he want?  Money and not to get caught.  The first one is easy for the scammer since everybody just throws their money at anything that moves with the words 'ICO' and 'revolutionizing' in it.

The second one, not get caught, is exactly the way to catch them!  They want to be unknown.

How do you get unknown if you know that people want to know you and trust you before they give money to your so called project?

You make a Linkedin.  Then you create enough fake people to follow you so the magic number of 500+ appears.  Then you need to gain trust as a scammer.  How do you gain trust?  By giving examples of your so called expertise. You went to this university, you were CEO of that project etc.  A whole list!

But how do you discover fake linkedins?

Easy!

Start Googling...

Look for these things:

IF there is some company mentioned in the linkedin, google for the name of that person + that company, go to their website and look for him/her
IF there is actually a company with the person involved, is it a real company or some cardboard company?  The 'waybackmachine' could help you, did the company exist 2 years ago?

Pages:
Jump to: