Pages:
Author

Topic: Scammed 75 Bitcoins by Skype Scammer 'BankerBTC' - Community Beware - page 2. (Read 3112 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 501
That's insane! Sorry to hear about that.  How is the court system in Dubai?  Do you think you stand a good chance at clearing yourself of the charges?
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
This scam is now a global menace across all the continents. Whether it’s Americas, Asia or Australia, the modus operandi is the same. BankerBTC traps the BTC seller and negotiates a buy deal over Skype conversation, and his accomplices in various parts of the world transfer the money to the seller’s account, and after receiving BTCs, claim a charge back from the financial institutions alleging a Facebook hack. While BankerBTC plays safe by remaining behind the scene, his accomplices take some risk in claiming the chargeback as they front the scam and pose as victims.  As financial institutions don’t want to get involved they mostly allow the charge back threatening the seller with criminal consequences. So scam accomplices mostly succeed in receiving the chargeback, which they share with BankerBTC.  Even if in rare situations they don’t receive the charge back, they have their money returned from the BTC sale anyway. So it is a win-win for the scam accomplices.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
BankerBTC who asked to trade outside the LocalBitcoins platform in Skype.

I know you said your coworker didn't know the scams but that is a massive red flag. The whole point of an escrow site is to trade through there to prevent scams.

LBC may be able to help with more of his information if you give them proof.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
This looks like a calculated scam and this guy should have scammed more people, and if all people can speak out and give some lead we can catch this guy, and  i also think the people who chargedback you also were involved with him and they are a team.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
In holiday we trust
Feel much better after losing around 1 BTC gambling after reading your story. Sorry for your loss and I can't believe the law is on the scammers side.
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
This is the exact reason I stopped selling sadly. I am sorry to hear about your story and wish you the best in the future.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Hi,

We are a company in IT industry and we have setup an operation to trade in LocalBitcoins primarily in India and Dubai with several LocalBitcoin accounts, most of which involve bank transfers to buy and sell Bitcoins.

Last month, one of our senior member in our company who was handling one of our LocalBitcoins accounts was approached by a guy named BankerBTC who asked to trade outside the LocalBitcoins platform in Skype. He got in touch with BankerBTC in skype and after few conversations, BankerBTC said he wants to buy Bitcoins through bank transfer and was ready to send first. Our company person was not fully aware of the various scams and tricks which could play in when trading, BankerBTC's clients sent about 20,000$ in several batches through bank transfer to buy Bitcoins from us, where BankerBTC acted as their broker.

Our company member accepted the bank deposits and after few hours sent him Bitcoins around 10 to 20 btc at a time for a total of 75 btc. Only to wait for about a  week and Law Enforcement calling up that we were involved in a Facebook scam The people who have send us money through BankerBTC all 4 of them chargedback from their bank and about 3 of our bank accounts in 2 countries have been frozen. This was a targeted scam who feed on normal people like you and me who wanted to spread the news of Bitcoin by involving in trades and spreading awareness of it.  Now we also have charges pressed against us in Dubai as one of the people who chargedback us also pressed charges against us.

As per the people what they say is how they got scammed through facebook , as per one of the person who chargedback us, his statements(all of 4 people chargedback us said the same story to Law Enforcement with little variance):

My sister's facebook account was hacked and she contacted me in Facebook saying she was in urgent need of 10,000$ and she gave me a bank account to deposit funds and i send the money to it. After few days i found that my sisters facebook account was hacked and i file  a chargeback.

How can someone send 10,000$ to someone without confirming via any other means phone, relations etc, and all 4 people use the same story as Facebook relation need money and i send money to them and later found that i was scammed.

Many of the people suggested that it is a coordinated scam between the people who charged us back and BankerBTC so they all get their cuts in the scam, but we don't have evidence in hand to back it up as we think it can be a possibility.

Even Law  Enforcement does not understand what Bitcoin is and turns a blind eye towards us and we are robbed of 75 BTC and this can happen with anyone, as Governments and Judicial system should get more knowledge and understanding of what Bitcoin is.

Yesterday we found a great evidence to prove that we were scammed by a serial scammer and we are innocent of what had happened, the same BankerBTC has scammed another LBC trader ( https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/profile/duguerre/ ).

DuGuerre was scammed about 6000$ (SGD) by the same guy about an year back.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9366588

https://muut.com/i/localbitcoins/fraud:skype-scammers

Bitcoin news sites make some articles about how government is unaware of Bitcoin and with the lack of their knowledge and understanding can turn a blind eye towards Bitcoin related issue. This kind of issues should raise awareness of bitcoin amongst people and government as we believe it is the future of money.

No we have evidence that BankerBTC is a serial scammer and we want to alert the community to beware of such scammers. And if anyone has encountered him and or have any details about his identity it will help us a lot and any advise on how to tackle this legally will also be helpful. This is cold calculated scam which others should  beware of and hope others don't fall for it.
Pages:
Jump to: