Pages:
Author

Topic: scammers with their everyday strategies - page 2. (Read 230 times)

Activity: 2520
Merit: 783
February 20, 2022, 06:20:11 PM
Normal thing happening on facebook these dahs and if someone tried to tell you that they can grow your ETH and Bitcoin claiming that they are expert trader then market scam because they don't need to spam anywhere just to tell everyone that they can multiply your money and scammers only do that for their own benefits so if there's a newbie reading that better erase the thought on believing them since most likely they will get scam if they try to believe them.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1228
February 20, 2022, 04:15:18 PM
-snip-
Uniquely, this story has too many punctuation [,] and it makes me confused to understand it properly. LOL

Various attempts at scam related to investment have been carried out both online and offline. I don't have much experience with online scam attempts as so far I'm not very active on social media but I have experience with offline structured fraud attempts although in the end I had to say no to that person [my friend] so I could prevent losses. It is a ponzi investment that is easily recognizable even though the method and name are different.

I saw a funny FB comment the other day somewhere where a guy wrote: "If some hot girl contacts you with investment advice over the Internet, block him!"
I would probably consider that suggestion to prevent losses. If his investment is profitable then I believe he will not offer anyone else to invest unless he has a mission to complete for his personal gain like raferal or others.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
February 20, 2022, 03:57:23 PM
Did you at any time visit the website of the alleged platform that the scammer told you about or did you update your MetaMask when talking to him?

I also came across a new type of scam attempt. Got a message from someone saying "hi Robert, what's the weather like in Sydney"? Obviously I am not Robert and I don't live in Sydney. The goal is probably to get me talking and possibly interested in some investments. If I replied with "I am not Robert, you are talking with the wrong person", she would say (and yes, it's a profile picture of some Asian hottie) "sorry, my bad. I am an investment broker trying to get hold of my friend. I have a great offer for him where he can triple his money in just 10 days". I go, "Oh really, tell me more"! And that's how it starts.

I saw a funny FB comment the other day somewhere where a guy wrote: "If some hot girl contacts you with investment advice over the Internet, block him!"
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1224
'Life's but a walking shadow'!
February 20, 2022, 03:12:34 PM
OP your story sounds pretty ambiguous to say the least, but asides that, mind you that it is somewhat wrong to pick random video calls from individuals you do not know personally, let alone someone you knew from the beginning is a scammer, by doing so you have exposed your face/identity (remember that anonymity is essential in the network). Even if you were trying to fish out the particular modus operandi of the scammer, there are other ways to go about it without actually putting your own self at risk.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 10753
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
February 20, 2022, 02:47:27 PM
<…>
You seem to have a magnet for scammers, judging by the cases you’ve told over your few posts so far, even if on this occasion you claim to be in control, wanting to see how the scam attempt played through.

I don’t quite get exactly what he was asking you to do and knew that you were not doing, and it’s somewhat worrying that you state that you were shocked that the scammer knew you were not playing it through. I suppose you obviously did not install any software during the conversation, nor previously, that could have lead the scammer to be able to browse your computer/screen. Give it a thought, as it may be something to consider after what you’ve said so far.
legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 2169
Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator
February 20, 2022, 02:41:31 PM
Though this isn't something new, but thanks for sharing with us. You and other users should take a lesson from here. Still, a lot of people do not understand the value of the seed phrase. Everything would be lost within sec. The policy that would save you is don't be greedy. A lot of greedy offers would receive through social media, you need just ignore all of them. Even you shouldn't click on any links to avoid malware attacks. Especially don't fall into beautiful girls trap.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1071
February 20, 2022, 02:12:15 PM
Thank you OP for bringing this to the notice of the forum so other members can now be aware that this is a new method to swindle you of your coins. Newbies in crypto most especially should take note. Scammers are constantly devising new methods, hence you must constantly be on guard. Seek professional advice on issues of investment to avoid being scammed.
Activity: 14
Merit: 16
February 20, 2022, 01:52:32 PM
I was going  through my Facebook when a message pop up on my messenger  then when I go through the message, it's was all about a platform where I can grow my ETH , and invest as well ,  so I followed up  pretending as if I was interested on the so call platform, so I can detect the pattern of  which he want to use in  scamming. then he continued by  showing me the stages of the platform, some prove of payments,and  even called me on my video call through Facebook messenger ,on the video call asking me how much I want to invest, which I gave a reply, telling him with sincerity that I want to invest $5000 worth of ETH , on his mind he was so happy thinking he has made it or arrived at his game , then he asking me  if I have metamask wallet which I said yes and he also ask if I have backup my seed phrase on my  wallet , I replied no , he said Good, and  I also told  him I use metamask for all my trading too, then  he asked me to switch ON a particular network in my wallet and he told me steps to take on backing up the seed phrase, after all this steps , he told me that I wasn't doing exactly what he asked of me , I was so shocked, I asked how he knew I wasn't doing exactly what he asked of me , so he replied with a pigin English saying in quote, "you just they waste my time here since abi" and abusive words, then he blocked me. I was so edger to know how he knew I wasn't doing exact what he asked of me, so I contacted  a friend and explained everything that  happened, he replied saying I'm a lucky person, if I did the exact things that scammer told me all my coins  in my wallet would have been vanished.
Pages:
Jump to: