Pages:
Author

Topic: Scams on Localbitcoins - page 3. (Read 6264 times)

Activity: 1328
Merit: 563
MintDice.com | TG: t.me/MintDice
April 13, 2014, 09:01:51 AM
well i tried to reverse payments (long story not related to this) but hit a brick wall.  Also I seen business in UK suffer because of a digit error with online banking and sent another company thousands instead of hundreds but the bank refused to help except offer a larger over draft.

I imagine that the general populous fails at this.  I have friends that have tried to do legitimate reverses as well with no success.  But these guys are pro scammers that understand the system or even possibly have crooked internal connections.  When I was dealing with BOA I felt there was a decent chance someone was crooked inside because they weren't willing to even work with me.

So knowing that you are competing against professional thieves you always have to be extra vigilant beyond what you even know is possible imo.
Activity: 412
Merit: 250
April 13, 2014, 04:44:55 AM
well i tried to reverse payments (long story not related to this) but hit a brick wall.  Also I seen business in UK suffer because of a digit error with online banking and sent another company thousands instead of hundreds but the bank refused to help except offer a larger over draft.
April 08, 2014, 09:16:01 PM
We talking about America here mostly?  In the UK a direct banktransfer cannot be reversed

This is also not true. While it is highly unlikely, a bank can always reverse a payment if something fishy was happening. It is centralised afterall...

This is true, be careful beak.  It drives me insane when scammers win, much more so than when victims lose.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001
CEO Bitpanda.com
April 08, 2014, 04:51:24 PM
We talking about America here mostly?  In the UK a direct banktransfer cannot be reversed

This is also not true. While it is highly unlikely, a bank can always reverse a payment if something fishy was happening. It is centralised afterall...
Activity: 412
Merit: 250
April 08, 2014, 02:49:02 PM
April 08, 2014, 02:42:34 PM
I got scammed on LBC a couple months ago, first successful scam pulled off against me in my life... I was sent a $1k BOA transfer, money is in my account, I released BTC and their BOA transfer was reversed back to them - and I have done literally 100s of these before without this ever happening (I and others thought this to be impossible.)

So be careful.  Always know what you are dealing with online.
legendary
CEO Bitpanda.com
April 02, 2014, 05:49:37 AM
I received a bank deposit straight into my bank account, and it was fine.

but someone on Reddit had his Bank of America deposit reversed AFTER it showed up in his online banking

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App

That might have more to do with Bank of America than anything else. What someone else said is very true, cash in your hand is cash in your hand. Accept no substitutes.

How come an online transfer get reversed ?

It went like this:

A guy bought BTC with depositing money in a branch into a BOA account. After he got the BTC he just went back to the branch and said he maid a mistake and they reversed the transfer and paid him back his cash. The sick thing was, they didn't even request a drivers license or anything...
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 1204
The revolution will be digital
April 01, 2014, 01:48:20 PM

but someone on Reddit had his Bank of America deposit reversed AFTER it showed up in his online banking

That might have more to do with Bank of America than anything else. What someone else said is very true, cash in your hand is cash in your hand. Accept no substitutes.

How come an online transfer get reversed ?
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
April 01, 2014, 01:21:12 PM

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
April 01, 2014, 01:07:54 PM
For small amounts i use localBTC never had a problem. For larger amounts use an exchange. Much more agg and takes longer but worth it
legendary
CEO Bitpanda.com
March 30, 2014, 10:22:51 PM
LocalBitcoins
In person selling is great.
Online selling is awful.  I get hammered all day with scam attempts.
I haven't figured out the rules with Western Union.
Can a transaction be reversed once it says "on location"
I've been waiting until I have cash in hand to release coins.  But, do I have to do this?
Daily trips are annoying - and I'd like to go once a week and get all the payments.
But, I don't want legitimate buyers to wait.

Any other sellers have some insight?

The sender can always pull the payment back as long as you have yet to pick it up.

You do not have "guaranteed cash in hand" until...."you have cash in hand".

Do not release the bitcoin until you picked up the cash.

And even cash-in-hand is not 100% failsafe. A german community member was robbed and another one got fake bills. Now he has to carry around blacklights to check every single bill. Quite the hassle.

I would always prefer exchanges and then cashing out really fast.
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
March 30, 2014, 12:00:55 PM

Activity: 881
Merit: 500
CyberTrade
March 28, 2014, 03:48:58 PM
LocalBitcoins
I've been waiting until I have cash in hand to release coins.  But, do I have to do this?
Daily trips are annoying - and I'd like to go once a week and get all the payments.

The sender can always pull the payment back as long as you have yet to pick it up.

You do not have "guaranteed cash in hand" until...."you have cash in hand".

Do not release the bitcoin until you picked up the cash.
Activity: 518
March 21, 2014, 05:50:53 PM
It's the kind of risks that you have to take and this is why I'm working on a trusted P2P exchange so that the mass can enjoy it instead of worrying about frauds.
Activity: 644
Inspired
March 21, 2014, 05:40:40 PM
LocalBitcoins

Pages:
Jump to: