Pages:
Author

Topic: Screw that, I'm hodling - page 4. (Read 988 times)

Activity: 119
Merit: 0
January 18, 2018, 11:12:39 PM
Hodling is definitely the best strategy. The market was way overbought after a nice, long run up, had to correct. Crypto has more to run imo so panic selling is not a good idea. Look at all the gloom and doom in August and how far we've come since then. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Activity: 140
Merit: 35
January 18, 2018, 11:02:03 PM
Actually updating my hodling strategy and move 50% of my btc from exchange to a wallet.
Hodler manifesto ftw  Grin
Activity: 882
Merit: 251
January 18, 2018, 10:21:46 PM
I currently am in the same state of mind as last January. BTC went up and then straight down. I have learn my lesson, next November / December I'll probably sell a few to take profit.
Plus, I am trying to be realistic here :
-There was an unprecedented bullrun to 20k. Odds are veeeery very thin that, in the life of btc, we don't see another similar bullrun again.
-Goldman Sachs exchange !
-Lightning network (dunno really if this will help btc to recover, but hey, still looks bullish to me)
-Maybe some future nice fork annoucements ?
-No more weak hands since the 'crash'

I am hodling at least until mid summer of this year. And if the price stays down, then that would mean to me that I definitely missed the big opportunity at the 20K USD ATH.

HODL
Thats the spirit never lose hope for becoming rich or successful. Thats all we need the attitude of a positive person to become wealthier than before.
There's nothing wrong in your decisions to hold it because if you believe that something big awaits in the future you will take advantage of it. The point of being rich in the future will truly claim if believing to hold it for now.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
reading.......
January 18, 2018, 09:35:55 PM
I currently am in the same state of mind as last January. BTC went up and then straight down. I have learn my lesson, next November / December I'll probably sell a few to take profit.
-There was an unprecedented bullrun to 20k. Odds are veeeery very thin that, in the life of btc, we don't see another similar bullrun again.
-Lightning network (dunno really if this will help btc to recover, but hey, still looks bullish to me)

I am hodling at least until mid summer of this year. And if the price stays down, then that would mean to me that I definitely missed the big opportunity at the 20K USD ATH.

HODL
Thats the spirit never lose hope for becoming rich or successful. Thats all we need the attitude of a positive person to become wealthier than before.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
January 18, 2018, 09:24:27 PM
Annd That's how you lose money.

I don't understand your statement, Since 2013 I cash in half of what I mine and hodl the rest, Where have I lost money?

The important part of what you said is that you cashed in half. That is prudent, you realised some profit. The problem is hodling it all regardless - why?  What is the point of just hodling and not cashing out and not spending and using it as a currency either. If that's what you do, it becomes a relic, like collecting trading cards or something.
Activity: 336
Merit: 112
January 18, 2018, 09:07:35 PM
Holding is always the best option. I have been holding for years, and the peak to nearly $20,000 made my holdings worth more than ever before, but it's nothing more than a profit on paper. In the same way, you have just a loss on paper. If you have been following the market for a while, and see how profitable these movements are, try to trade the market. One stash is purely for holding purposes (you don't touch these coins for a very long time), and one stash purely for trading purposes. These insanely volatile days allow you to take advantage of these money making opportunities, but you have to understand what you are doing, and have to be willing to trade against the volatility. If you're not a trader, then just keep holding and use these lower levels to accumulate (if you have free capital).

LOL.

"It's trading 17000 now, great time to buy"
"It's trading 16000 now, buy more"
"Wow, 15000 it will bounce soon, buy now"
"14000, very cheap to buy more"
etc etc etc

Now we're at $9846, soon at $4000. Don't believe? Just wait till the real fear starts kicking in, we're really close to that now.

Exactly, fear, that's a huge part of it. Every time bitcoin increases, people praise it like a god, and when it falls, people scream crash. It's like you didn't learn anything from the market's years of history. Well I guess fuds are meant for weak hands like yourself.
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
January 18, 2018, 08:46:06 PM
You should have sold your BTC back December because everybody needs cash at that time. There are sale and discounts everywhere so it's pretty obvious.
Activity: 1666
Merit: 753
January 18, 2018, 07:10:28 PM

HODL

Agreed. These things are just people panicking because bitcoin has not really gone up that much for the past few weeks, and also largely because of the Chinese central bank rumoring to be regulating bitcoin and cryptocurrencies more strictly.

Same thing as last year, people will always panic, make the price drop around 1/3, and the price will go back up by itself and potentially achieve a new al time high. It's completely illogical to dump your coin when you're taking such a big loss.

The logical thing to do right now would probably be hold or buy, and dump when all the others are buying in.

People are reacting to government regulations too negatively. They should know that bitcoin is decentralized, and governments can only do this much to try to kill bitcoin and it won't work.
Activity: 756
Merit: 252
January 18, 2018, 06:46:08 PM

HODL
I prefer to set my goals in terms of fiat instead of time, bitcoin can be very unpredictable just look at the past year I do not think there were many people able to predict the price could reach such a high price in such a short time, so set goals in fiat or you run the risk bitcoin does not do what you want when you want.
Activity: 194
Merit: 10
☀️ Iskra Coin ☀️
January 18, 2018, 06:33:43 PM
I also hodl because this panic is not worth my peace of mind. I'm now down 75% on my profits and this is still a healthy correction in my eyes. Hopefully after this we will have less moon lambo kids here as they now probably all ran for the hills.

Sometimes I just wish I was smarter in taking profits and having fiat ready when things are on sale like now. I could make a freaking killing. But then I'm greedy and think it's going to go up forever. I can never quite predict the peak. But now you can double or triple your money in coins (including BTC) that just have to revisit their previous ATH. It's an amazing opportunity.

I feel you bruh.

Wish I followed the rule of selling 10% every doubling price in December so I would have some sweet cheap coins... Sad
I have also not prepared for the dump now and made the mistake of selling last December. How I wish I have left some cash or something for me to buy coins now. It really is hard to predict and catch when will be the time for us to sell or to buy, sometimes we think that we might be doing the most profitable way we can but we end up losing a good possible profit. Anyways, I personally think that this is how trading life goes, we aim to earn big but we can't earn it all.

Right now I am glad that I've sold some of my altcoins and hold the btc earned, and it gave courage to face this challenges while dumps still on. Maybe buying another coins soon can be an options to do so that I can gain good sells in the future, and profits can be a huge amount of money. Earning big isn't that easy so we needed to screw it, and holding is the good way to do it. Never lose hope, because there's a future as you hold your coins and wait until the future rise will come.
Activity: 415
January 18, 2018, 06:02:37 PM

HODL

Holding right now is almost definitely the right strategy, you'll find few who disagree with you on that. Lightning network will probably actually be the biggest of the things you mentioned. Getting fees back down to a sensible amount can be huge for bitcoin as it gives it a use case again.
Activity: 530
Merit: 250
January 18, 2018, 03:15:51 PM
I also hodl because this panic is not worth my peace of mind. I'm now down 75% on my profits and this is still a healthy correction in my eyes. Hopefully after this we will have less moon lambo kids here as they now probably all ran for the hills.

Sometimes I just wish I was smarter in taking profits and having fiat ready when things are on sale like now. I could make a freaking killing. But then I'm greedy and think it's going to go up forever. I can never quite predict the peak. But now you can double or triple your money in coins (including BTC) that just have to revisit their previous ATH. It's an amazing opportunity.

People who HODL from way back in 2012 made a killing on BTC simply because there is limited supply and growing adoption. There will ever only be 21 million BTC. The only way long term is UP!
Activity: 530
Merit: 250
January 18, 2018, 03:06:05 PM
BItcoin failed as a payment system, LN is a joke, governments cracking down. It's game over, next stop $8000 after that I see it crashing < $4000

Because you are SHORT on BTC?
Activity: 644
Merit: 255
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
January 18, 2018, 02:58:26 PM

I feel you bruh.

Wish I followed the rule of selling 10% every doubling price in December so I would have some sweet cheap coins... Sad
I have also not prepared for the dump now and made the mistake of selling last December. How I wish I have left some cash or something for me to buy coins now. It really is hard to predict and catch when will be the time for us to sell or to buy, sometimes we think that we might be doing the most profitable way we can but we end up losing a good possible profit. Anyways, I personally think that this is how trading life goes, we aim to earn big but we can't earn it all.
January 18, 2018, 10:26:25 AM

Well now I'm really fu*king glad I didn't panic sell. Panic sellers are the one who lost money.
grn
Activity: 357
Merit: 252
January 18, 2018, 01:22:43 AM

I don't understand your statement, Since 2013 I cash in half of what I mine and hodl the rest, Where have I lost money?

Edit: To Help with your calculations I mine about .36 - .4 per day, Initial Investment for first miners 3000USD  all btc after that
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
January 18, 2018, 01:15:38 AM
Now we're at $9846, soon at $4000. Don't believe? Just wait till the real fear starts kicking in, we're really close to that now.
What's the problem? People make decisions based on specific situations and time frames, and as you know, situations and sentiment can change in an instant here. As bad as the market may look right now, we can be up for an increase again tomorrow, or perhaps even later today. This correction attracts capital, and this capital will soon be ready to flow into this market. And to add; people will not continue to keep selling as they will soon realize that it's just a stupid practice.

no....btc>>>better than paper money
I was talking about profit and losses on paper, and not about paper money. Profit or losses on paper occur when you buy 1BTC at a certain price, and you'll see an increase or decline afterwards. In reality you haven't lost or gained anything because you still have your 1BTC, but if you purely look at the value aspect, it is then considered to be an on paper result.

correct if you have the same number of btc you have made no losses in btc.

I look at fiat on paper....as well the death spasms of a moribund system.

Who would risk going into fiat?
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
January 17, 2018, 12:53:32 PM
What's the problem? People make decisions based on specific situations and time frames, and as you know, situations and sentiment can change in an instant here. As bad as the market may look right now, we can be up for an increase again tomorrow, or perhaps even later today. This correction attracts capital, and this capital will soon be ready to flow into this market. And to add; people will not continue to keep selling as they will soon realize that it's just a stupid practice.

no....btc>>>better than paper money
I was talking about profit and losses on paper, and not about paper money. Profit or losses on paper occur when you buy 1BTC at a certain price, and you'll see an increase or decline afterwards. In reality you haven't lost or gained anything because you still have your 1BTC, but if you purely look at the value aspect, it is then considered to be an on paper result.
Activity: 177
January 17, 2018, 12:09:39 PM

I feel you bruh.

Yes, taking profit on the way up and cost-average buying in stages on the way down. I also wish I had the commitment to follow the simple 50/25/25 rule. 50% BTC, 25% big caps, 25% small caps. My altcoin portfolio is getting rekt.
January 17, 2018, 12:03:43 PM

I feel you bruh.

Pages:
Jump to: