Pages:
Author

Topic: SEC announces that ETH is not a security - page 3. (Read 1800 times)

Activity: 98
Merit: 0
Adding "rules of the game" helps stabilize the market.  Stability helps the market because it makes the market more predictable.  Investors like predictability.

Still, cryptocurrencies are like commodity trading in that while they are predictable they are still subject to wide swings in price due to unforeseen changes in market conditions.
Activity: 112
SEC is one of that fiatwhale supporters that now joined this game to manipulate with crypto price without adding something useful in this field Angry
They just ban, or allow - but to allow you don't need to be special. For ban also. Useless part in crypto development as for me Undecided
Activity: 420
Merit: 13
I am very interested in what consequences this statement of the SEC can bring? Will this affect the ethereum in the negative or not?
SEC expresses such an opinion to all crypto-currencies. Now there are big manipulations with the market and this can not be called fair trade.

The SEC can and should control the rules of the game

They ARE trying.

It's challenging because blockchain and cryptocurrencies are so new.  There are many aspects that are unclear, and these ambiguities impact the market.

So, one by one, they are addressing these aspects.  With each ruling it establishes a "rule of the game".  This helps stabilize markets.

Declaring that cryptocurrencies are NOT securities is an essential ruling to allow them to become a medium of payment. 

Activity: 322
Merit: 11
SEC expresses such an opinion to all crypto-currencies. Now there are big manipulations with the market and this can not be called fair trade.

The SEC can and should control the rules of the game
Activity: 700
Merit: 300
Yup came across this news and was really relieved to hear that one. The is great news for my crypto friend circle with whom I am doing the ETH mining and obviously ETH getting some relaxing news makes us relaxed. This can set the future of ETH very well and might tell others to invest into it as it gets more or less lawful orders. ETH always has been great platform and it was supposed to get attention with SEC and other big entities regulating the share markets and securities. I hope this news will slowly surge through everyone's eyes and more positive sphere will keep pumping.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252
This ruling makes sense, and is an important ruling because it makes a clear distinction between an existing cryptocurrency, which has utility inherent within it, versus an initial coin offering that raises capital for a yet to be created cryptocurrency, which until it exists, has no utility.  

It doesn't make sense to me. Explain why Ethereum is any different from the other ICO's which were outlawed? They raised capital the same way too, and offer whatever service, service expectations being meet or not. Ethereum has already failed to meet "code is law" expectations.

The news are great, but I don't think that is the reason why the prices skyrocketed. Most good news don't have a real influence in the prices these days, and the bad news are used for dumps. Not that they justify the dump, but I guess people who want to short bitcoin, use them to have a greater effect on the price.

Right now, what we are seeing in the markets, probably has a high dose of manipulation in my opinion. I guess it wont matter in the long run though, when adoption gets high enough for these moves to have no effect on the price.

Anyway, like I said before, those are indeed good news though, which is great.

These news create quick pumps due an uncertainty that has been there for a long time being resolved, so I see both BTC and ETH going up, if it's enough to end the bear trend is another story.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059
The news are great, but I don't think that is the reason why the prices skyrocketed. Most good news don't have a real influence in the prices these days, and the bad news are used for dumps. Not that they justify the dump, but I guess people who want to short bitcoin, use them to have a greater effect on the price.

Right now, what we are seeing in the markets, probably has a high dose of manipulation in my opinion. I guess it wont matter in the long run though, when adoption gets high enough for these moves to have no effect on the price.

Anyway, like I said before, those are indeed good news though, which is great.
legendary
The Ethereum scam? Why so harsh? I'm a Bitcoin maximalist myself, but it's impossible to deny the positive effect that ETH has had on our ecosystem. As for bag-holding, I wouldn't quite put it like that. To me it's more a question of "Do we want to kill this ailing market dead right off the bat? Or are we curious to see where it could go."

So yeah, overall loving this news, even though I hold exactly 0 ETH at the moment.

Ethereum praises itself as "decentralized" and wanted to push this narrative of how "code is law" for their smart contracts; we all know what happened with the DAO. The whole point of smart contracts is a joke if a faulty smart contract can deliver a hardfork that creates a new altcoin as a result, all of this mess which resulted in holders losing money just to socialize losses of bad coding.
I don't even know what to call Ethereum anymore but it is sure not money let alone a store of value. This is why people pretending it's more valuable than Bitcoin are straight scammers.

The SEC are a bunch of scammers too by arbitrarily ruling out Ethereum's launch characteristics which make it a security. They literally ignored that part. Well, now anyone should be able to keep launching tokens via this same method and then point to Ethereum as reference to prove it's not a security and bypass the law, I wonder what kind of bullshit excuse they would come out with if someone tries that.
This ruling makes sense, and is an important ruling because it makes a clear distinction between an existing cryptocurrency, which has utility inherent within it, versus an initial coin offering that raises capital for a yet to be created cryptocurrency, which until it exists, has no utility.  
Activity: 294
Merit: 11
One should not trust them 100%, maybe they pursue their interests, because they are confident that they are listened to and can affect the price.
Activity: 70
The Ethereum scam? Why so harsh? I'm a Bitcoin maximalist myself, but it's impossible to deny the positive effect that ETH has had on our ecosystem. As for bag-holding, I wouldn't quite put it like that. To me it's more a question of "Do we want to kill this ailing market dead right off the bat? Or are we curious to see where it could go."

So yeah, overall loving this news, even though I hold exactly 0 ETH at the moment.
Activity: 82
I don't know if this is a good news or not i need some one to interpret that for me. I get that they are decentralized and i don't know it implications
legendary
I was about to post this. In my book, this proves two thing:

1) That someone within the government or at least enough influence to impact's the SEC decision on deciding if Ethereum is a security or not, is bagholding massive bags of Ethereum (maybe not proves, but definitely strengthens this conspiracy theory)

2) That the altcoin bubble has just begun and will continue growing for a long time until something really bad happens technologically in any of the top 10 altcoins, when that happens a mass exodus into Bitcoin will ensue.
By legitimating the Ethereum scam, the altcoin speculation will get as wild as ever. Also anyone going to court for hosting an ICO, they can just point to how Ethereum was called not a security and your token meets the same launch criteria as Ethereum did.
Activity: 280
Merit: 41
From The CryptoGraph
The SEC’s leader on cryptocurrencies and initial coin offerings (ICOs) says that Bitcoin and Ether are not securities but that many, not all, ICOs are securities and will come under the regulatory control of the SEC.

“Central to determining whether a security is being sold is how it is being sold and the reasonable expectations of purchasers,” William Hinman, head of the Division of Corporate Finance for the SEC.

Hinman noted that the central issue in determining whether cryptocurrencies and ICOs were securities was the expectation of a return by a third party, specifically whether there was a person or group that sponsored the creation and sale of the asset, and who played a significant role in its development and maintenance. If consumers are promised or are respecting an appreciation in value, and there is a centralized third party, then it can be classified as security according to Hinman.

Hinman specifically said that Bitcoin is not a security because it is decentralized: there is no central party whose efforts are a critical determining factor in the enterprise. Likewise, Ethereum cannot be considered a security because the Ethereum network is decentralized.

Mr. Hinman did not address the securities status of other cryptocurrencies, like Ripple (XRP), which is on the wrong end of a lawsuit alleging that it is a security. Additionally, a platform like EOS, which is controlled by Block.one, seems to be a likely contender for securities regulations. EOS’s system of validation, which delegates power to only 21 nodes, may not be enough decentralization in the eyes of the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Investors have eagerly been awaiting this decision, and we can all breathe a sigh of relief that the SEC continues to favor fair regulation and encourage innovation. Security regulations in the US are stringent and a securities label could remove many US investors from the global crypto market.

News was just announced and prices have already skyrocketed. What are you thoughts on this?
Pages:
Jump to: