Pages:
Author

Topic: SEC vs NFTs - page 2. (Read 243 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1853
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
August 31, 2023, 01:45:59 AM
. I hope the SEC doesn't try to claim all NFT's are securities, that would be way too Draconian, imo.
Based on the argument made by the SEC in the news link above:
The order finds that the NFTs offered and sold to investors were investment contracts and therefore securities. Accordingly, Impact Theory violated the federal securities laws by offering and selling these crypto asset securities to the public in an unregistered offering that was not otherwise exempt from registration.

This means they could use this same argument against almost all NFTs and claim that they are contracts and therefore securities.

The problem is that Impact Theory was very weak and did not object to the decision and agreed to pay a fine and harsh measures, according to the same news:
Without admitting or denying the SEC’s findings, Impact Theory agreed to a cease-and-desist order finding that it violated registration provisions of the Securities Act of 1933 and ordering it to pay a combined total of more than $6.1 million in disgorgement, prejudgment interest, and a civil penalty. The order also establishes a Fair Fund to return monies that injured investors paid to purchase the NFTs. Impact Theory agreed to destroy all Founder’s Keys in its possession or control, publish notice of the order on its websites and social media channels, and eliminate any royalty that Impact Theory might otherwise receive from future secondary market transactions involving the Founder’s Keys.

This is very bad and will open the door for the SEC to attack more NFTs companies.
Activity: 420
Merit: 252
My post made philipma1957 wear signature
August 30, 2023, 02:19:31 PM
Agreed many NFT's have little long-term value, but they do have a good side. Many talented artists (some of whom would have no other way to sell their products) have found happy customers for their creative work. I hope the SEC doesn't try to claim all NFT's are securities, that would be way too Draconian, imo.
Recently, SEC is on the neck of almost every sector of cryptocurrency and it seems SEC is loosing recently the legal way. I don't think that SEC will claim that all NFTs are securities. If anybody needs to come into NFT for regulations it should be the body of Arts and not SEC.
NFTs have lived longer than I expected them to and it seems it is not leaving the market any moment unless there is a bigger pressure from SEC.
Activity: 9
Merit: 2
August 30, 2023, 12:05:35 PM
Agreed many NFT's have little long-term value, but they do have a good side. Many talented artists (some of whom would have no other way to sell their products) have found happy customers for their creative work. I hope the SEC doesn't try to claim all NFT's are securities, that would be way too Draconian, imo.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1042
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
August 30, 2023, 11:22:19 AM
https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2023-163
"Washington D.C., Aug. 28, 2023 —
The Securities and Exchange Commission today charged Impact Theory, LLC, a media and entertainment company headquartered in Los Angeles, with conducting an unregistered offering of crypto asset securities in the form of purported non-fungible tokens (NFTs). Impact Theory raised approximately $30 million from hundreds of investors, including investors across the United States, through the offering.

According to the SEC’s order, from October to December 2021, Impact Theory offered and sold three tiers of NFTs, known as Founder’s Keys, which Impact Theory called “Legendary,” “Heroic,” and “Relentless.”
____
The Securities and Exchange Commission has found a new target, apparently, large whales are too tough for it. And how many such projects have been launched ... lol.

Last day I was reading this news, but I ignored it as it was related to the NFTs. I don't care whether the SEC act against the NFT projects or not because 99% of NFTs are just shit, this market in crypto is not at all productive except for a few use case scenarios, such as loyalty tokens, and authentication. Haha for SEC I feel sorry they put the hand in every hold and when they just try to bring some results they fail.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 4270
August 30, 2023, 09:49:20 AM
https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2023-163
"Washington D.C., Aug. 28, 2023 —
The Securities and Exchange Commission today charged Impact Theory, LLC, a media and entertainment company headquartered in Los Angeles, with conducting an unregistered offering of crypto asset securities in the form of purported non-fungible tokens (NFTs). Impact Theory raised approximately $30 million from hundreds of investors, including investors across the United States, through the offering.

According to the SEC’s order, from October to December 2021, Impact Theory offered and sold three tiers of NFTs, known as Founder’s Keys, which Impact Theory called “Legendary,” “Heroic,” and “Relentless.”"
____
The Securities and Exchange Commission has found a new target, apparently large whales are too tough for it. And how many such projects have been launched ... lol.
Pages:
Jump to: