Pages:
Author

Topic: Securing your savings wallet - page 6. (Read 8363 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
September 17, 2012, 08:01:24 AM
These are my conditions:

-I want it in a digital form, preferably on an encrypted USB stick
-I want to be able to use it with my primary and only laptop (needing to reboot my laptop is fine)
-I want to be able to at least send myself an email with an address where to send the coins to and be safe doing so or use some other way of copy/paste
-I want to spend from my savings wallet without having to download the blockchain

Does having a liveCD linux on a USB with armory meet all these conditions?

Btw I'll pay up to $15 worth of BTC for a plug&play version of this and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
legendary
September 17, 2012, 07:57:22 AM
I'm no expert, but just spent a good chunk of time researching this.

Here's the options recommended elsewhere...

You can setup a bootable USB drive.  The OS commonly recommended was Ubuntu.  Then boot to that drive. Use exclusively for Bitcoin transactions and that's it.

Then for savings....

After looking at everything I feel your best bet is still the paper wallet approach.  However you don't have to store the paper.  You can create screen captures of the private keys (or cut and pastes) and store them in a truecrypt vault.  And then store that vault in the cloud.  Be sure though when you create the paper wallet your computer is clean (this might be where having that bootable USB comes in very handy).

To import the private keys I tested MultiBit.  Using Mac Texedit.app I simply edited an exported private key file, then imported it back into MultiBit.  It seems to work and wasn't too much of a hassle for a long-term savings wallet.

This actually sounds decent.. And yes keyloging is mainly what I want to protect against, I already secured everything with passwords..
legendary
September 17, 2012, 07:53:49 AM
These are my conditions:

-I want to be able to use it with my primary and only laptop (needing to reboot my laptop is fine)
-I want to be able to at least send myself an email with an address where to send the coins to and be safe doing so or use some other way of copy/paste
-I want to spend from my savings wallet without having to download the blockchain

Does having a liveCD linux on a USB with armory meet all these conditions?
Activity: 632
Merit: 500
September 17, 2012, 07:52:27 AM
I'm no expert, but just spent a good chunk of time researching this.

Here's the options recommended elsewhere...

You can setup a bootable USB drive.  The OS commonly recommended was Ubuntu.  Then boot to that drive. Use exclusively for Bitcoin transactions and that's it.

Another option is to use Truecrypt and Dropbox for your backup.  (You're still at risk of keylogger attacks).  I wouldn't keep too much wealth in that vault.  For this option create a truecrypt vault.  Place your wallet in it.  It is recommended to use symlink to link to your wallet within the truecrypt vault.  I couldn't get that to work.  Instead I use MultiBit and specified where to save the wallet in the truecrypt vault.

So long as your computer is clean that should give you reasonable security for spending.

The other option is to use an mtgox online wallet with double authentication.  Meaning you have to get an extra piece of hardware for $25 that gives you unique onetime codes each time you access your wallet.  Frankly I feel better about using truecrypt/dropbox then a hosted wallet.

Then for savings....

After looking at everything I feel your best bet is still the paper wallet approach.  However you don't have to store the paper.  You can create screen captures of the private keys (or cut and pastes) and store them in a truecrypt vault.  And then store that vault in the cloud.  Be sure though when you create the paper wallet your computer is clean (this might be where having that bootable USB comes in very handy).

To import the private keys I tested MultiBit.  Using Mac Texedit.app I simply edited an exported private key file, then imported it back into MultiBit.  It seems to work and wasn't too much of a hassle for a long-term savings wallet.

legendary
September 17, 2012, 07:25:40 AM
Well I finally became a bit security conscious and have searched for anything I can find about how to create a secure savings wallet and I really don't like any of the answers available.

I don't like paper wallets because I don't want to print anything on a paper and I don't like liveCDs because I don't want to download the entire blockchain every time I want to spend from my savings wallet I also don't like a brainwallet because it exposes me to the risk of being robbed while entering my pass phrase when trying to spend from it.

Is there really no option to simply have a USB drive that I can pop in, before doing so restart my laptop, boot the USB and have a ready to go client and wallet with a connection ready and free of any worry of getting hacked?

These are my conditions for what I'd like to use:

Pages:
Jump to: