Pages:
Author

Topic: Security bounties - page 5. (Read 146006 times)

Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum
October 17, 2013, 04:33:09 AM
Prior to the attack, the forum spent 40 BTC on password hashing improvements which significantly mitigated the damage of this attack.

Can you restate this in ounces of gold please? I would like to know how much this was in a stable carrier of value.

You got lucky.

I think word will get out and you'll have hackers everywhere looking for exploits.  Security holes will get plugged faster than wet cement slipping through pantyhose.

Your effort to improve the forum (although a little late) is appreciated. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
October 16, 2013, 02:34:23 PM
So does this mean that everybody can now freely try to crack your site without fear to be busted: "No, I was not hacking, I just trying to gain the bounty!" ?

So? So long as they don't exploit the vulnerabilities they find in a way that could harm the forum or its users, I think theymos will be happy to make the forums more secure.

It is also in their interest to eliminate or minimize the impact of their exploiting of the site because if it causes "substantial disruptions" the reward they will get will be considerably smaller.

I don't think I'll find anything but I'll try my luck in 4-5 weeks when I should have a lot more time than now.

@theymos

I mentioned it on IRC when the site was down and know it can be a problem for you, but if you find some time in the near future, please consider releasing the full code and configuration that's behind bitcointalk.org with the sensitive information removed.

edit: hopefully SMF would give their consent to this
http://www.simplemachines.org/about/smf/license.php
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
October 15, 2013, 01:08:31 PM
I see what this is about now.  There was a buttcoin.org article making fun of Thermos for not using Cloudflare so now you guys have to come up with reasons why it wasn't done. 

You're overvaluing flippant criticism of the forum by folks that know no details surrounding the hack yet think throwing out buzzwords or the "latest tech terms" are the equivalent of Mazlow's hammer. Cloudflare's anti-hacking filters would have done nothing to protect from this. There is maybe once or twice in the past where using Cloudflare would have prevented previous DDoS attacks, but that's about it. BarbarianBob identified a specific weakness and came up with a novel way to exploit it. There isn't some automated tool to prevent this.

then a self-signed certificate where the warning box pups up is the way to go.

If it's self-signed then you're completely subjected to a MitM attack. You could install the certificate manually, but you'd still have to first get it through a trustable transfer mechanism. This is almost too-silly of a recommendation to even comment on, I honestly can't tell if you are trolling or just so wrapped up in wanting to help you're throwing out buzzwords as possible recommendations.

In order to help me determine your purpose, maybe you can answer a question. What was the point of going through and replacing most of the text in your previous posts this year with ".."?
Activity: 938
Merit: 1009
October 14, 2013, 10:09:12 AM
Prior to the attack, the forum spent 40 BTC on password hashing improvements which significantly mitigated the damage of this attack.

Can you restate this in ounces of gold please? I would like to know how much this was in a stable carrier of value.
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
October 14, 2013, 08:55:42 AM
BTW - How come it is alright that Geotrust has the key?  These Geotrust rapid SSL certs are about $10/year.  They don't have access to the traffic like Clouflare would, but still.  I assume that is all you can get since the true owners are not in the whois records and a legitimate SSL cert would never had been issued since one of the purposes is to verify the ownership of the web site. 

Geotrust doesn't have access to the private key. They're a CA. They sign public keys. Any widely-trusted CA can replace a certificate signed by any other CA, so using a more expensive CA is pointless. But unlike Cloudflare, a CA can't retroactively decrypt encrypted traffic, and it's possible for users to notice a certificate change if they pay close attention.
administrator
October 13, 2013, 10:15:23 PM
I know the main vulnerability, it is that you are unprofessional in operating the system and you are too cheap to do things right.

This is probably the highest security bounty of any forum. It's only a little less than Google's security bounties. After this attack, the forum spent over 100 BTC on security-related stuff. Prior to the attack, the forum spent 40 BTC on password hashing improvements which significantly mitigated the damage of this attack.

Contrary to common belief, there is no magic wishing well into which you can throw money and instantly get good results. Often, it's better not to spend money, especially when growth is not the forum's main goal. You always seem to want me to spend thousands of bitcoins as quickly as possible. This would be a great way for the forum to lose a lot of its money without gaining much value in return.

If you don't like how I spend the forum's money, you can:
- Use reasonable arguments (not just trollish demands/complaints) to try and convince me; or
- Create your own organization, generate 6000+ BTC (mostly not from donations), and try some alternative strategy.

I already explained to you that you need to start by using a reverse proxy service such as cloudflare.  They have setting that will stop some exploits before they ever reach the server and they have custom settings to block various exploits.  $200/month.

No exploit stopped by Cloudflare should ever get anywhere near affecting the forum, and any exploit that is stopped can almost certainly be done in some other way that won't be stopped. Same for any automatic exploit detection based on patterns. Unless DoS attacks get really bad, I won't be willing to give up control of the forum's HTTPS keys.
vip
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1042
👻
October 13, 2013, 09:28:55 PM
I know the main vulnerability, it is that you are unprofessional in operating the system and you are too cheap to do things right.  

I already explained to you that you need to start by using a reverse proxy service such as cloudflare.  They have setting that will stop some exploits before they ever reach the server and they have custom settings to block various exploits.  $200/month.

The next thing you need to do is take some training so you know what to ask.  For instance, you confuse "vulnerability" and "exploit" and you use them interchangeably when they are not.  A "vulnerability" is a configuration on your server that can be exploited.  An exploit is something that is done to attack a vulnerability.  A vulnerability can have many exploits.   Try an Ethical Hacking class and getting a CISSP certification.

In other words, give cloudflare the ability to MITM. Reverse proxy services should be seen as a a last resort, and all cloudflare's WAF will do is stop basic SQL injection, XSS, etc.
administrator
October 13, 2013, 08:12:21 PM
Is there a particular reason why amounts are in Troy ounces of gold? I know the US is running a risk of default, but I do not see the dollar devaluing so much as to justify using Gold as a "stable" currency.

I prefer not to denominate values in any single country's currency here, but BTC is too unstable. XAU is pretty stable.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076
October 13, 2013, 07:57:21 PM
Is there a particular reason why amounts are in Troy ounces of gold? I know the US is running a risk of default, but I do not see the dollar devaluing so much as to justify using Gold as a "stable" currency.
administrator
October 12, 2013, 01:09:00 PM
Bitcointalk.org offers large security bounties. See: https://bitcointalk.org/sbounties.php
Pages:
Jump to: