Pages:
Author

Topic: SECURITY, Have you been a victim? How safe are your bitcoins? - page 2. (Read 1709 times)

Activity: 1106
Merit: 521
Paper wallets for long term storage and a really secure wallet like breadwallet for everyday transactions keeping a very small balance there.
legendary
Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036
I have had only 1 breach of security when some website I had an account at got its database stolen and my email address and password were compromised. At that time I was using only one master password with small modifications for different accounts so my email account got hacked afterwards. I was lucky that the attacker didn't find out about my online bitcoin wallets and I was quick to update my accounts with a new email address. I am using an AV solution and a firewall now and I am very cautiously clicking on any unknown links. Better safe than sorry.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1026
This is just the beginning, we could see even better creations from evil labs, malware, viruses and other as bitcoin becoming more popular..Wallets and users with low knowledge in security will be even more targeted, we can see this also on this forum, many accounts been lost by clicking on suspicious links.
 Grin Grin Grin
Soon we all will become paranoid, and we could end up crazy.. Shocked
Prevention, disconnect from network!  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1012
I've used the original Bitcoin client, Armory, BitcoinSpinner and Mycelium.

The majority of my savings has been kept secure with Armory.

I've never had any issues with lost or stolen coins.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004
Well, I never lost my any of BTC so far. But I lost all my data on my laptop because it got infected with CryptoWall ransomware virus, I never recovered these files.
And I think this is pretty much linked to bitcoin. At that time I got so angry that criminals got a way to incorporate cryptocurrency in their vile schemes that I considered selling all my coins.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
Dear everyone!

I am writing my thesis about Bitcoin. I would like to ask for your HELP!

If you have a few minutes please fill the following survey: http://[Suspicious link removed]/forms/sCazssUUXS

You chould help a LOT! I have faith in humanity and mankind, so come on people... Sad Smiley

Thank you!!

FriendlyGuy with a suspicious link Grin

@OP I've always been very careful with my bitcoin though I could just be lucky to have not lost any so far. There are lots of horror stories on the scam accusation board.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
I often buy digital goods from one who accept zero confirmation transaction and so far there aren't any problem even when stress test or tx spam.
Maybe i'm just lucky Roll Eyes
You don't understand what a double spend is then. The seller can't double spend your transaction, you could if you've wanted to (and obviously knew how).

A device that installed with untouched/original OS installer, some people call it clean install.
That is pure nonsense. Original installers are outdated and such a 'clean OS' is vulnerable. Clean install is just a fresh OS reinstall. I recommend updating in addition to removing telemetry updates.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Grateful i never lost a bit, I just access my wallet in my computer and android using 2 FA auth so there will never get hack from any hacker
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
I've never been the victim of a Bitcoin theft, though in the past someone has tried to access my blockchain.info account.
Luckily I have 2 factor auth enabled, so I get a message when someone tries to log in.

Always enable 2FA for security purpose.
I think of my wallet as just another computer file. So I keep it safe by:

1. keeping the overwhelming majority of my coins offline always. I keep a small amount on my phone for daily spending, an amount less than the value of the phone.

2. I only use Linux for transferring any larger amount or reloading the phone.  Windows is out of the question for me. I use open source tools that I compile myself. It's freekin crazy to just download some bitcoin related software to a winxx computer.

3. Keep the back-up "real world" safe! If you want a copy of my wallet file you can find it in my safe deposit box at the bank.

4. trust no one. Satoshi gave us trustless cash for a reason.

I have another safe option. Use Bread wallet. Keep the private key safe. Now transfer funds to your wallet.
Now uninstall it from iPhone. You're safe for sure.

I have bread wallet. I'll try this
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283
I've never been the victim of a Bitcoin theft, though in the past someone has tried to access my blockchain.info account.
Luckily I have 2 factor auth enabled, so I get a message when someone tries to log in.
Activity: 756
Nothing for me so far.  I use 2 factor auth whenever offered and have most coins stored offline in cold wallets.  So important to use 2FA ALL THE TIME, it is an extra step but soooooo worth it. 2FA!
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
I think of my wallet as just another computer file. So I keep it safe by:

1. keeping the overwhelming majority of my coins offline always. I keep a small amount on my phone for daily spending, an amount less than the value of the phone.

2. I only use Linux for transferring any larger amount or reloading the phone.  Windows is out of the question for me. I use open source tools that I compile myself. It's freekin crazy to just download some bitcoin related software to a winxx computer.

3. Keep the back-up "real world" safe! If you want a copy of my wallet file you can find it in my safe deposit box at the bank.

4. trust no one. Satoshi gave us trustless cash for a reason.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1074
Nearly lost some coin on "copy & paste" malware that replaced my pasted address with their own. I quickly got onto it and reported it on several platforms. I wiped OS with a clean image and it was gone. I now

double check everything I "Copy & Paste" and I re-image my desktop every other day to wipe any malware or virus that might come my way. You have to double check everything these days, because the

scammers are getting very clever. I also make backups every day now... different sets to prevent Ransomware attacks.  Roll Eyes
Activity: 1456
Merit: 579
HODLing is an art, not just a word...
i have never been a victim of any of these things, i always try to be safe by keeping my coins offline and in cold storage and never install what i don't know or click on suspicious links.

also all the victims that i have ever seen was the victim of their own carelessness, for example there are a lot of victims of losing bitcoin because they use online wallets with a simple 123 password and no 2fa
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014
In Satoshi I Trust
never lost a bit.

cold storage. antivirus. encryption. brain.

you could buy a hardware wallet for extra security:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/overview-bitcoin-hardware-wallets-secure-your-coins-899253
Bread Wallet is most saved and cannot be hacked
Activity: 266
One world One currency, Bitcoin.
I am a victim of Pishing. I entered the same email and password on a betting website that I was using for my email and btc-e, within few days my half Btc were gone. OTP was not activated, from that day I use good securities measures.
Activity: 350
Shit, did I leave the stove on?
I have only used online Bitcoin wallets till now and haven't been a victim of any attacks yet. I don't take any special precautions other than running an antivirus program like Nod32. I am trying not to click on any shady links from emails and such. I think it's not the hackers who are dangerous but the Bitcoin exchanges which can always scam you and blame a random breach in security.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
I'll add one thought: In addition to losing your bitcoin to a thief,  you need to be aware of the risk of losing bitcoins due to loss of a private key (or your password to access a private key). You need a strategy that copes with both risks. Having a single paper wallet printed from an offline machine with all the security precautions in the world won't save you if you subsequently lose the paper wallet in a house fire, for example.

From prior discussion here, it seems the best strategy for large amount of BTC may involve a multi-signature strategy (m of n keys required to spend) with multiple copies of each key carefully distributed in safe places. In this way the loss of one (or more) keys to a thief will not result in stolen bitcoin, and the loss of single password or private key will likewise not cut off your ability to access your own bitcoin.

This is an interesting idea. You can give out 2 of the private key to people you trust, for safe keeping, without telling them what is that. Of course, you have to trust them they will never actually know what you gave them and that if they team up they can get your money.

And if it's about trust and not telling what is that, you can have normal wallets and hide (a copy of) the private keys inside a fake letter or anything and give to your parents for safe keeping. Or you can hide the private keys on USB sticks inside certain files only you know about.

Really, there are plenty of options. The actual enemy of paper wallets is yourself. Because over time you start forgetting. And you have to keep in mind the actions you did for safe keeping. More sophisticated is the security, more you have to remember after some years.
Pages:
Jump to: