Pages:
Author

Topic: Self Hosting vs Colocation - page 2. (Read 544 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 71
Just Getting Started...
February 20, 2018, 11:19:12 PM
Nice setup! Out of curiosity, what's a standard rate for your colo? The lowest rate I found is $135/m/device but they want a year-long contract. That's no beuno...

First off listen to Phil Smiley

But I'd like to add my 2 cents.

Here's some steps you need to take 1st.

How much power can you get to that garage? Find that out now, not when you order miners.
Do you have any type of neighborhood association?
Do you have a sound ordnance?
Do you have neighbors that complain or will complain?

Let's say you get past all that, like Phil mentioned you need to work on heat removal not cooling addition. Read through this forum there's all kinds of tips and tricks. I've posted some, but there's so many other more experienced folks who have as well.

Finally ask yourself some technical questions. Do you know what DNS and DHCP are? Do you know what a staic IP is? Do you know why you should run 220v instead of 100v for these things? Do you know what the maximum continuous load on a 30A circuit should be?

I don't care if you know these things right now or not, BUT before spending a lot of your hard earned money you should find out.

That's probably more like 4 cents Smiley
.F.
Activity: 56
Merit: 2
February 20, 2018, 10:32:31 PM
Nice setup! Out of curiosity, what's a standard rate for your colo? The lowest rate I found is $135/m/device but they want a year-long contract. That's no beuno...
Activity: 126
Merit: 1
February 20, 2018, 09:50:08 PM
I just started setting up inside of a colo facility and am very happy.

I suggest going this route (although more expensive and less profitable) - it'll give you more time to work out the infrastructure behind 50-75 units.  In theory you can work  deal with your color to add them 1, 2 ,3 ,4 whatever number at a time until all 50 are in place.  Then when you're ready - move them at once.

https://i.imgur.com/MJ7rgdR.jpg

(Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to remove inline image tags.)
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
February 20, 2018, 09:14:29 PM
Yeah, that was the plan to see if this was profitable at all. Trying to keep costs low until I establish gross margins and then, if the numbers are right, increasing capacity.

Have you ever checked out Bitcoin Master's videos on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Bz1CDQBHM&t=35s)?

He says you need like $150-200k in infrastructure to run 50 S9s. Seems totally off base, right?

okay  50 x 1400 = 70000 watts

so a 400 amp 240 volt service will do 96000 x .8 = 76,800 watts

70,000 x 4 = 280,000  btus of heat

My entire  home ac - 36,000 btu   I would need 8 ac units

but in a warehouse  set properly a 1600cfm exhaust gable fan can cool 4 units no worries.

so  15 of these

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-1600-CFM-Power-Gable-Mount-Attic-Fan-EGV6/205924917

make this building 32 feet wide

put in 6 of these racks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-18-x-72-x-74-Green-Epoxy-Wire-Storage-Shelf-Rack-Kit-Commercial/253297917065?

.F.
February 20, 2018, 08:49:36 PM
Yeah, that was the plan to see if this was profitable at all. Trying to keep costs low until I establish gross margins and then, if the numbers are right, increasing capacity.

Have you ever checked out Bitcoin Master's videos on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Bz1CDQBHM&t=35s)?

He says you need like $150-200k in infrastructure to run 50 S9s. Seems totally off base, right?
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
February 20, 2018, 08:28:47 PM
Hi All,

I ordered two Antminer S9s and hope to scale to 50-75 (or more if BTC goes moon) by the end of the year. I'm debating whether or not I should build out my own self-hosting site in my garage (it's a large, detached from my house by 100 ft 3 car garage) OR send the miners to a colocation site that can host the miners for $100-$150/month/miner. I have no networking background and a full-time job in venture capital. So I'm leaning towards this option, especially if they can monitor them and provide uptime support. What's a good price offer for a miner colocation?

However, my profit calculations project my own mining operation could be very profitable, so I'd be willing to give up my job if it turns into something worthwhile. And, at the moment, I have access to free electricity in my garage (my family pays for it - we own a real estate company. Otherwise local kwh is 5.7 cents). But even with free electricity, this option is by far the largest investment upfront since I'll need to install an HVAC (up to 10-20k CFM fans and exhausts), lots of power, networking equipment, better internet access, etc. I also live in the Midwest and so the summer gets very humid - so that's not great for the equipment I've heard. Plus there is the noise issue of having 50-75 miners in my garage and the neighbors not being too happy about that. All that said, I think I could get around 50 to 75 units in my garage. At that point, I'd 100% need to quit my job to maintain it.

Any advice or guidance? My main concerns for self-hosting are: 1) humidity 2) noise 3) lack of experience. Main concerns for colocation: 1) cost and future cost increases 2) if they don't provide support, not having access to the miners immediately if something goes down.

**ALSO**

I'd also be interested to know what miners who have S9s are making in BTC per month.

There seems to be a lot of people who like to have an opinion on this by using an online calculator to determine profits but the calculator vs what people are saying they're making isn't aligning. For instance, I've been seeing people say they make $25-$30 a day per device. That's about $750/month. Subtract out about $100 of electric costs and you're at $650. The online calculators are showing around $350 to $400 / month.

Very confused.

THANK YOU!!!!   Grin Grin Grin

Hvac  = $$$

online calculators need correct info to be correct.

A suggestion   try the  2 units in the large garage use a gable fan to pull hot air out.
.F.
February 20, 2018, 07:20:28 PM
Hi All,

I ordered two Antminer S9s and hope to scale to 50-75 (or more if BTC goes moon) by the end of the year. I'm debating whether or not I should build out my own self-hosting site in my garage (it's a large, detached from my house by 100 ft 3 car garage) OR send the miners to a colocation site that can host the miners for $100-$150/month/miner. I have no networking background and a full-time job in venture capital. So I'm leaning towards this option, especially if they can monitor them and provide uptime support. What's a good price offer for a miner colocation?

However, my profit calculations project my own mining operation could be very profitable, so I'd be willing to give up my job if it turns into something worthwhile. And, at the moment, I have access to free electricity in my garage (my family pays for it - we own a real estate company. Otherwise local kwh is 5.7 cents). But even with free electricity, this option is by far the largest investment upfront since I'll need to install an HVAC (up to 10-20k CFM fans and exhausts), lots of power, networking equipment, better internet access, etc. I also live in the Midwest and so the summer gets very humid - so that's not great for the equipment I've heard. Plus there is the noise issue of having 50-75 miners in my garage and the neighbors not being too happy about that. All that said, I think I could get around 50 to 75 units in my garage. At that point, I'd 100% need to quit my job to maintain it.

Any advice or guidance? My main concerns for self-hosting are: 1) humidity 2) noise 3) lack of experience. Main concerns for colocation: 1) cost and future cost increases 2) if they don't provide support, not having access to the miners immediately if something goes down.

**ALSO**

I'd also be interested to know what miners who have S9s are making in BTC per month.

There seems to be a lot of people who like to have an opinion on this by using an online calculator to determine profits but the calculator vs what people are saying they're making isn't aligning. For instance, I've been seeing people say they make $25-$30 a day per device. That's about $750/month. Subtract out about $100 of electric costs and you're at $650. The online calculators are showing around $350 to $400 / month.

Very confused.

THANK YOU!!!!   Grin Grin Grin
Pages:
Jump to: