Pages:
Author

Topic: Senator Sanders and Rep. Omar introduce Universal School meals bill - page 3. (Read 540 times)

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584
Though I don't always agree with free stuff, this is one thing I might be OK with. We have a similar program in our country although it only focuses on the students that are underweight (which is likely due to poverty or some health condition, which is then monitored).

I wonder how this would affect the pack lunch industry though. If everyone's going to have free 3 meals at school anyway, then they wouldn't be buying those stuff. Actually not just that sector, 3 meals a day meant the parents can actually get away with not feeding their kids anything.  Grin
Activity: 952
Merit: 175
@cryptocommies
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) jointly introduced on Tuesday the Universal School Meals Program Act, a bill that would help provide three free meals per day for all U.S. school children.
“In the richest country in the history of the world, when the top 1 percent are making more than they ever have before, it is simply outrageous that 1 in 5 children will go hungry this year,” said Sanders in a statement.

School meal debt and lunch shaming — the practice of denying students hot or standard lunches if their families have unpaid meal fees — have been recently spotlighted. Earlier this week, California banned lunch shaming with the signing of a bill that guarantees all students receive a meal of their choice even if they have accrued outstanding balances

This should be a no-brainer.  Anyone who knows about education, knows that a hungry mind cannot learn. Children have no ability to provide for themselves and need food and education if they will ever have a chance to do so.   
Pages:
Jump to: