Pages:
Author

Topic: Setting Up a Bitcoin Node - page 3. (Read 28496 times)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
December 22, 2013, 10:14:13 PM
I still need help setting up that full node. Mainly because I don't know how to port forward anything -.-
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
December 22, 2013, 01:40:46 PM
If anyone needs help setting up a node, or specific questions, please PM me I can help. Also I recommend all node operators to update to 0.8.6 and to switch to disable wallet mode so you can save some ramm.

Are there any specific or noteworthy improvements on .8.6?

Besides disabled wallet nothing that you can notice. It is under the hood stuff.
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091
Think for yourself
December 22, 2013, 11:14:46 AM
If anyone needs help setting up a node, or specific questions, please PM me I can help. Also I recommend all node operators to update to 0.8.6 and to switch to disable wallet mode so you can save some ramm.

Are there any specific or noteworthy improvements on .8.6?
legendary
June 07, 2013, 03:49:10 PM
Can you guys help me do this on a Mac? I too would like to help improve the network.

Just download bitcoin-qt

I have it. I'm reffering to configuring the port forward to allow for more connections. I'm currently only able to connect up to 8.

you have to do that on your router
legendary
Think for yourself
December 22, 2013, 01:34:33 AM
Can someone please help us figure out how to create a node? I read this thread and still can't figure it out... We are missing something...
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-utc-university-of-texas-coin-a-coin-for-students-380259

Just install the bitcoin client and download the blockchain.
Activity: 308
Merit: 253
December 21, 2013, 11:38:15 PM
Can someone please help us figure out how to create a node? I read this thread and still can't figure it out... We are missing something...
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-utc-university-of-texas-coin-a-coin-for-students-380259
legendary
August 31, 2013, 02:11:12 PM
can someone compile this for windows? https://github.com/TvdW/bitpeer

Bitpeer is an experimental Bitcoin relay server. Its event-driven architecture makes it extremely fast, and it was designed to be very lightweight.

this is the creator: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/users/4358/tom-van-der-woerdt

the creator donates 250GB a day with this software to the network !!!!!

I wrote my own lightweight tx/block relay that can easily handle up to 10000 incoming connections as long as the network connection allows it. I then tweaked it to ensure a high amount of connections (incoming or outgoing, currently ~750) and since it's usually first with relaying blocks/transactions, that causes a lot of network traffic. – Tom van der Woerdt

i need this for windows or linux  Grin but I have no idea how to build this ..  Huh

Uhmmm this is a huge security risk. If you want to use a central server I suggest using electrum which has window binaries.

This is a horrible program it does nothing and can be easily converted to a cancer node and hurt the network.

If you want to donate to the network use bitcoin-qt.

okay, but it would be nice if someone makes a modified version of bitcoin-qt for more connections .. I only get 40 connections or something..
Also an external IP detection every 10 minutes for users with a dynamic IP would be nice !
My ISP changes my IP every 24h .. and than the connections drop to 8 because the client doesn't update his external IP !!!!   Undecided
I already posted this problem in the dev-forum but I think it got ignored..  Huh

The stock bitcoind, accepts default 125 connections, if you want to change that you can add
Code:
maxconnections=200
To your bitcoin conf file. Remember bitcoin is P2P so your not going be be able to connect to a lot of nodes on it's own. You may want to look at
Code:
connect=
So you can connect to more people.
legendary
June 07, 2013, 02:55:11 PM
Can you guys help me do this on a Mac? I too would like to help improve the network.

Just download bitcoin-qt
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
www.btcaudio.eu || LIVE-AUDIO-TICKER
August 31, 2013, 06:26:54 AM

Bitpeer is an experimental Bitcoin relay server. Its event-driven architecture makes it extremely fast, and it was designed to be very lightweight.

this is the creator: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/users/4358/tom-van-der-woerdt

I wrote my own lightweight tx/block relay that can easily handle up to 10000 incoming connections as long as the network connection allows it. I then tweaked it to ensure a high amount of connections (incoming or outgoing, currently ~750) and since it's usually first with relaying blocks/transactions, that causes a lot of network traffic. – Tom van der Woerdt

i need this for windows or linux  Grin but I have no idea how to build this ..  Huh

Uhmmm this is a huge security risk. If you want to use a central server I suggest using electrum which has window binaries.

This is a horrible program it does nothing and can be easily converted to a cancer node and hurt the network.

okay, but it would be nice if someone makes a modified version of bitcoin-qt for more connections .. I only get 40 connections or something..
Also an external IP detection every 10 minutes for users with a dynamic IP would be nice !
My ISP changes my IP every 24h .. and than the connections drop to 8 because the client doesn't update his external IP !!!!   Undecided
I already posted this problem in the dev-forum but I think it got ignored..  Huh
legendary
August 30, 2013, 07:50:27 PM

i need this for windows or linux  Grin but I have no idea how to build this ..  Huh

legendary
June 06, 2013, 12:46:59 AM
Thinking about setting up a full node...mainly interested if you get paid those small transaction limit BTCs that are sometimes asked for in transactions...if not, were do those micro-BTC units get sent to when your over the limit?

Only miners get paid for full nodes, and those small change are added to the transaction fee.
Activity: 74
www.btcaudio.eu || LIVE-AUDIO-TICKER
August 30, 2013, 06:09:44 PM

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
June 07, 2013, 03:45:50 PM

Just download bitcoin-qt

I have it. I'm reffering to configuring the port forward to allow for more connections. I'm currently only able to connect up to 8.
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
June 07, 2013, 09:25:10 AM
Activity: 810
June 06, 2013, 12:21:03 AM
Thinking about setting up a full node...mainly interested if you get paid those small transaction limit BTCs that are sometimes asked for in transactions...if not, were do those micro-BTC units get sent to when your over the limit?
Activity: 105
March 31, 2013, 09:19:34 AM
Have not looked at bandwidth.  So, I have my own URL and was thinking or setting up a port forward for a URL so my IP address is not an issue.  Thoughts?  Anyone done this?
legendary
Think for yourself
February 18, 2013, 07:37:39 PM
Os2Sam,
Search for your IP address on blockchain.info site is how I did it.

-Wave

Oh, OK.  Obvious enough Smiley.

Well you've helped me move forward a little more.  Hadn't really thought much about setting up port forwarding to my Bitcoin node in a while, now with your, and others, here input I've gotten it done.
Thanks,
Sam

I haven't paid much attention to my "Full Bitcoin Node" in a while.  But today I took a look at my bandwidth usage.  My uplink bandwidth is peaking around 1.4Mb and I'm relaying 7 to 15 transactions a day now.  I was a little surprised by my bandwidth usage though.

Was curious as to what others mileage was now?
Such as:

How many connections?
How many transactions relayed a day?
Upstream bandwidth usage?

Sam
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
January 02, 2013, 02:05:21 PM
It's the default port. You can change it in the config file.
legendary
December 17, 2012, 01:50:17 AM
Been going a few weeks now, and it seems I average around 60 connections.  How do I improve that?

I think the only way for you to improve right now is to manually add more peers to your bitcoin.conf file, 60 is the average number if your ports and firewall are configured correctly
legendary
Think for yourself
January 02, 2013, 01:43:31 PM
I got it, up to 10 connections now and slowly climbing.

The short of it...

Install bitcoinqt client and sync with block chain
Be sure the computer running the bitcoin client gets a static IP address assigned by your router
Forward port TCP port 8333 from internet to the IP you assigned in the step above
Done ;-)

-Wave

Why does it have to be TCP port 8333?

Why not?  It has to be something.  I guess that is what the programmers decided on when they started the Bitcoin Client development.
Pages:
Jump to: