Pages:
Author

Topic: Setting up AntMiner S1 mini-farm in a warehouse - page 2. (Read 3478 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
1. What is the actual "safe" voltage range for a non-overclocked AntMiner S1? Is it OK to supply them with 11v? 14v? 13v? Anyone knows? I would like to try to run them from a three phase MIG welder, and want to gauge how sensitive they aer to input voltage.

Don't do this.  Get server power supplies if you need a cheap solution.

2. If I have, say, a dozen of S1's, and set them up as separate workers in one pool, will they use 12 times the bandwidth that would be used by one worker? Or would the pool adjust difficulty?

Bandwidth is minimal even for huge farms.

3. I have a very poor internet connection (DSL) and this is the best I have, 2 megabit down and 512k up. I cannot get comcast here. Will I be able to keep up with my bandwidth with 20 antminers?

You will lose shares for shitty internet, costing you money.  It's the latency more than the bandwidth.

4. Is there a way to organize a "sub-pool" of my workers, that I can repoint to any given internet pool like btcguild or ghash, instead of repointing all my S1's individually?

You can point them to bfgminer running a proxy and go wild from there. This requires the latest firmware.

5. Has anyone tried to manage those S1's by scripts. I have a bunch of servers already, that I manage with scripts and it is awesome, a huge time saver.

There are lots of fun management interfaces, you'll have fun with part of the mining experience.

6. On ebay, they sell cheaply 240v power supplies "Dell FW414 PowerEdge 6950 1570W Power Supply C1570P-00 ". I really like the fact that they are 240v, as I can run three of them on three legs of three phase for good phase balance.

Can I use one of them (rated for 129amp) to supply 5 antminers S1's? The S1's, in my experience, eat about 20A per antminer. So they would consume roughly 100A. Is my math wrong?
Probably best for 4 clocked at 393.3, once you down clock and undervolt in a few months you'll be able to eliminate some power supplies.

7. Can I safely run non-overclocked S1's at the ambient temperature of 100 degrees F? This is my normal summer temperature.
They do pretty well in hot environments.  You have to have airflow though; I can't stress that enough.

8. Can I somehow set up mining so that I participate in pools on aa percentage basis. For example, I devote 60% of my resources to pool A, and 40% to pool B.
Yes you can do that by pointing them all to bfgminer running a proxy, then using bfgminer allocate the effort to different pools using a load-balance strategy.

Activity: 17
Merit: 0
I own a 10,000 square foot warehouse that I use for various realspace purposes. I sell industrial surplus equipment, welders etc.

I have three phase 220v in my warehouse, as well as a small machine shop. I am a Linux guy (20 years) and I am comfortable with networking, ssh, scripts, perl etc.

I have gotten bit by the bitcoin mining bug and purchased a few S1's on ebay, that I am running right now.

I want to try using them to mine bitcoins, and if I lose money on this, no big deal. I have a decent amount of capital and can risk a bit of money. This is just an introduction.

To go on to a few questions.

1. What is the actual "safe" voltage range for a non-overclocked AntMiner S1? Is it OK to supply them with 11v? 14v? 13v? Anyone knows? I would like to try to run them from a three phase MIG welder, and want to gauge how sensitive they aer to input voltage.

2. If I have, say, a dozen of S1's, and set them up as separate workers in one pool, will they use 12 times the bandwidth that would be used by one worker? Or would the pool adjust difficulty?

3. I have a very poor internet connection (DSL) and this is the best I have, 2 megabit down and 512k up. I cannot get comcast here. Will I be able to keep up with my bandwidth with 20 antminers?

4. Is there a way to organize a "sub-pool" of my workers, that I can repoint to any given internet pool like btcguild or ghash, instead of repointing all my S1's individually?

5. Has anyone tried to manage those S1's by scripts. I have a bunch of servers already, that I manage with scripts and it is awesome, a huge time saver.

6. On ebay, they sell cheaply 240v power supplies "Dell FW414 PowerEdge 6950 1570W Power Supply C1570P-00 ". I really like the fact that they are 240v, as I can run three of them on three legs of three phase for good phase balance.

Can I use one of them (rated for 129amp) to supply 5 antminers S1's? The S1's, in my experience, eat about 20A per antminer. So they would consume roughly 100A. Is my math wrong?

7. Can I safely run non-overclocked S1's at the ambient temperature of 100 degrees F? This is my normal summer temperature.

8. Can I somehow set up mining so that I participate in pools on aa percentage basis. For example, I devote 60% of my resources to pool A, and 40% to pool B.

Thanks, guys! I promise that if I write scripts to manage them, I will share them under the GPL, as a token of appreciation of the open source community.
Pages:
Jump to: