Pages:
Author

Topic: Setting up Blockstream Jade - page 2. (Read 281 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 896
February 20, 2024, 04:47:33 PM
I would rather use the SeedQR method instead of QR PIN unlock if I had a Blockstream Jade. It's quicker to gain access to your hardware wallet by just scanning a QR seed code then scanning multiple QR codes both on the hardware device and a secondary device. It's true though that you need some time to set up your SeedQR, but it's worth it.

Yes, it's worth it. Definetely.

The way I use Jade is:

Backup system:
For each wallet I hold 2 backups, as follows:

• Backup 1: Seed phrase, QR code
  • Backup 2: Seed phrase, QR code

Obviously the backups are in separate locations (the one is easily accessible).

Usage:
Every time I want to use Jade, I do the following:
1. Turn it on.
2. Scroll twice and click "Options".
3. Click "Temporary signer".
4. Click "Scan QR".
5. I do scan the QR code and my wallet is ready to sign transactions.
6. I turn Jade off. The memory is automatically flushed, so if you turn it on, nothing is saved.

So I mostly use Jade as the SeedSigner and after each usage, nothing remains in Jade's memory. So if someone gets access to it, they can't do anything. Obviously, if they get access to one of my backups, then my funds are gone. But the device itself can't help someone to compromise my funds.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
February 20, 2024, 12:53:01 PM
I would rather use the SeedQR method instead of QR PIN unlock if I had a Blockstream Jade. It's quicker to gain access to your hardware wallet by just scanning a QR seed code then scanning multiple QR codes both on the hardware device and a secondary device. It's true though that you need some time to set up your SeedQR, but it's worth it.
Activity: 714
Merit: 1298
Cashback 15%
February 20, 2024, 07:28:38 AM
Blockstream Jade has a unlock feature called QR PIN unlock. First I enter my previously selected PIN numbers. Next is the part I don't understand its purpose I go to a webpage then I take QR pictures back and forth between Jade and website. Once I entered the PIN numbers on Jade, anybody with a phone can do the next part, right?

QR PIN unlock is just a feature that allows you to "unhook" your wallet in fully air-gapped way.  It is the safer (in some extend)  procedure  than doing similar action  let's say via USB or Bluetooth. The step-by-step guide (accompanied by the relevant pictures) on how to utilize "QR PIN unlock" can be found on their supporting page https://help.blockstream.com/hc/en-us/articles/15572026940953-How-do-I-access-my-wallet-with-QR-PIN-Unlock
legendary
Activity: 4186
Merit: 4385
February 19, 2024, 02:48:00 AM
if you love, admire and trust blockstream to decide to use their software, why are you now not contacting them for support
(my question was rhetorical. no need to answer me, the answer is more for your own mind it injest)
Activity: 770
Merit: 556
February 19, 2024, 12:08:34 AM
The purpose why you need go to a webpage because you're using the blind oracle created by Blockstream, they claimed to be safe and not harm your privacy.

The blind oracle is truly blind, it does not know anything about you or your wallet data and it can be accessed over TOR. It doesn't even know your actual PIN!

But you can create your own blind oracle if you skeptic https://help.blockstream.com/hc/en-us/articles/12800132096793-Set-up-a-personal-blind-oracle

Yeah in order to access the wallet it needs both Jade (hardware wallet) and another device, if you only have one of them, you can't access your wallet using QR PIN Unlock. But you can access your wallet using SeedQR aka seed phrase, so there are two ways to access it.

QR PIN Unlock

QR Mode can also be accessed using a PIN unlock, however is it recommend to use QR codes for this unlock process instead of USB or Bluetooth - in order to stay fully air-gapped. This will require some additional interactions between Jade and your phone (or desktop). Blockstream Jade requires communication with a blind oracle to unlock using a PIN, which mitigates the risk of physical key extraction. You will need establish a connection with this blind oracle in order to proceed.

Select QR PIN Unlock on Jade, which will direct you to a companion webpage to perform a series of QR scans using both your Jade and your companion device. Each device will need to scan two QR codes and display two QR codes, for a total of four scans. After performing the actions above, Jade will be unlocked and ready for a fully air-gapped workflow.
Activity: 29
Merit: 7
February 18, 2024, 07:42:59 PM
Blockstream Jade has a unlock feature called QR PIN unlock. First I enter my previously selected PIN numbers. Next is the part I don't understand its purpose I go to a webpage then I take QR pictures back and forth between Jade and website. Once I entered the PIN numbers on Jade, anybody with a phone can do the next part, right?
Pages:
Jump to: