Pages:
Author

Topic: Seven Stages Of Empire - page 2. (Read 3303 times)

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
August 28, 2013, 09:13:09 AM
I watched this recently too. However, I think the gold-bugs are going to get a shock when the current fiat systems melt down. It will be cryptocurrency which replaces fiat, and gold will slowly become a commodity metal like platinum and silver are mostly already.

As everyone keeps saying: gold + precious metals have intrinsic value, which turns out to mean that they are more valuable for their physical properties than they are for their value storage properties.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1006
100 satoshis -> ISO code
August 28, 2013, 07:18:28 AM
I watched this recently too. However, I think the gold-bugs are going to get a shock when the current fiat systems melt down. It will be cryptocurrency which replaces fiat, and gold will slowly become a commodity metal like platinum and silver are mostly already.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
August 28, 2013, 07:15:45 AM
I didn't know about the Greeks debasing their currency if that's true but it shows you how often it happens in history.

Shows you how much genuinely interesting (i.e. the real mechanics of empires and states) history never gets taught at school. Maybe keeping certain history taboo is the only thing that actually makes it interesting though  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
August 28, 2013, 01:44:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdSq5H7awi8

I found this documentary pretty interesting and it's not as long as some of the ones I've looked at because it doesn't go into as much detail with the history so the facts may need to be cross-checked. Some of you may find it handy if you want a more condensed version of what's going on with our monetary system, I didn't know about the Greeks debasing their currency if that's true but it shows you how often it happens in history.
Pages:
Jump to: