Pages:
Author

Topic: Sharks nine times more likely to kill men than women, study says - page 2. (Read 2399 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 500
DeFixy.com - The future of Decentralization
Oh I don't with what study says.
I already afraid with shark, and I think would never get close with those fuckinn shark  Embarrassed Embarrassed
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
God damn Feminist sharks! Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
I came in here expecting to see an argument about feminism and gender equality
(But I came in here too soon to see it  Grin)

I'm sure it will devolve into that because for once we all agree this is a really stupid article, it's like seeing creationists comment on evolution.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
I came in here expecting to see an argument about feminism and gender equality
(But I came in here too soon to see it  Grin)
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
I came in here because I thought you meant that Sharks are 9x more likely to kill a man than a woman, as in for every man a woman kills, 9 more are killed by sharks.  Little bit disappointed, I wanted to read that study.
legendary
Activity: 2660
Merit: 1074
Australian scientists baffled by finding that men are targeted in 84 per cent of all unprovoked shark attacks, and make up 89 per cent of all shark bite fatalities

Good to know that women are more targeted on provoked attacks than mens.

I guess that is because mens are strongers, so the shark either attacks by surprise or runs aways.

Because it is very common people go to oceans to provoke and attack sharks, or just annoy them for nothing making them angry and forcing them to attack.

I did it two times only in the last week, was really fun.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1001
Really dumb "comprehensive" study.

Although this is comical:

"People patting sharks on the head, making them angry, putting their hand in the shark's mouth to get a fishing hook out. Jumping on sharks and trying to ride them. There are provoked shark attacks that should win Darwin Awards," he said.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Argh what a dumb statement to make in that news article. Of course more men get attacked then women... how many male surfers and swimmers and such are there compared to female? Likely the researcher that did the study has never stepped out of his research office to a beach and observed the genders of people doing water activities.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
And the reason is given in the article itself:

"Potentially men spend more time in the water, and are more risk-prone," he suggested.

Do we need an academic research to know this? People who spend more time in water and those who venture in to the deeper waters are more likely to fall victims to shark attacks.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
That is extremely strange, maybe they like the taste of men?
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
Australian scientists baffled by finding that men are targeted in 84 per cent of all unprovoked shark attacks, and make up 89 per cent of all shark bite fatalities

Sharks are nine times more likely to kill men than women, new research from Australia shows.
Men are targeted in 84 per cent of all unprovoked shark attacks, and make up 89 per cent of all shark bite fatalities - which means that women are statistically more likely to survive a shark attack.

The numbers are from a study out of Bond University in Queensland to be published in the international journal Coastal Management this week.
Report author associate professor Daryl McPhee told the Telegraph the results were so surprising that he had to double-check them.
"Potentially men spend more time in the water, and are more risk-prone," he suggested.

More...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/11075433/Sharks-nine-times-more-likely-to-kill-men-than-women-study-says.html
Pages:
Jump to: