Pages:
Author

Topic: Should Bitcoin Win Nobel Prize? - page 2. (Read 2454 times)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250
May 22, 2013, 05:52:50 PM
Nobel prize is a joke these days.
Activity: 350
May 22, 2013, 05:37:38 PM
The nobel prize is an outdated metric to partition the academic world into a hierarchy over betters. It serves no purpose nor benefit to the Bitcoin ecosystem. Instead market adoption and remove to central banks will be the final metric of success and validation for Bitcoin. Besides, they gave the peace prize to someone who strapped bombs on kids to kill israelis. The award is forever compromised in my opinion.

maybe the bitcoin community should start their own awards/prizes, mainly for development and new coins/protocols/programs etc, recgontion for some of the best ideas from within the bitcoin community where there is presently lots and lots of people working tirelessly on their ideas and inventions to make this new economy of ours work/work better, maybe give them out at the conferences, maybe btcs as prizemoney too , maybe bitcoin itself and satoshi could be given some "posthumous" award, or become the name for the biggest "breakthrough" achievement of each year, forget nobels, bitcoin should do its own thing !!!

I like the idea of a Satoshi prize that awards some jackpot of money to someone for doing something the community needs. Like developing a P2P exchange or bringing a certain amount of people into the ecosystem. It could be community funded and have a list of objective criterion.

I think the nobel prized was compromized when hitler was nominated.

However it's still respected in certain pockets so may be educational.

Love the idea of a 'Satoshi Prize' too
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008
CEO of IOHK
May 22, 2013, 01:54:48 PM
The nobel prize is an outdated metric to partition the academic world into a hierarchy over betters. It serves no purpose nor benefit to the Bitcoin ecosystem. Instead market adoption and remove to central banks will be the final metric of success and validation for Bitcoin. Besides, they gave the peace prize to someone who strapped bombs on kids to kill israelis. The award is forever compromised in my opinion.

maybe the bitcoin community should start their own awards/prizes, mainly for development and new coins/protocols/programs etc, recgontion for some of the best ideas from within the bitcoin community where there is presently lots and lots of people working tirelessly on their ideas and inventions to make this new economy of ours work/work better, maybe give them out at the conferences, maybe btcs as prizemoney too , maybe bitcoin itself and satoshi could be given some "posthumous" award, or become the name for the biggest "breakthrough" achievement of each year, forget nobels, bitcoin should do its own thing !!!

I like the idea of a Satoshi prize that awards some jackpot of money to someone for doing something the community needs. Like developing a P2P exchange or bringing a certain amount of people into the ecosystem. It could be community funded and have a list of objective criterion.
Activity: 170
Merit: 102
May 22, 2013, 01:38:08 PM
maybe the bitcoin community should start their own awards/prizes, mainly for development and new coins/protocols/programs etc, recgontion for some of the best ideas from within the bitcoin community where there is presently lots and lots of people working tirelessly on their ideas and inventions to make this new economy of ours work/work better, maybe give them out at the conferences, maybe btcs as prizemoney too Smiley, maybe bitcoin itself and satoshi could be given some "posthumous" award, or become the name for the biggest "breakthrough" achievement of each year, forget nobels, bitcoin should do its own thing !!!
May 22, 2013, 01:31:47 PM
I don't think non-humans or anonymous humans can win the prize.

That's why I suggested Gavin?
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
May 22, 2013, 12:38:38 PM
I don't think non-humans or anonymous humans can win the prize.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
May 22, 2013, 10:34:40 AM
There is no such thing as a Nobel economics prize. There is a prize from the Swedish central bank awarded at the same time in honor of Nobel that some people confuse with a Nobel prize.  

Since Bitcoin can't be printed ad infinitum and the Swedish central bank invariable laureates Keynesians that prize won't ever be awarded to anyone related to Bitcoin.

edit: yes, and the peace prize is now an anti-prize.  That's what you get when you have a board of politicians awarding a prize (which is what happens at Oslo for the peace prize against the guidelines in Nobel's will).

Activity: 520
May 22, 2013, 10:23:58 AM
Considering other recipients of the Peace Prize have been Obama, Kissinger, and Arafat, and not even Ghandi, it's pretty much an ironic award now.

Hayek thought the Nobel Prize in Economics was dumb, and would lead to society thinking Nobel Economists were somehow smarter than everyone else. (I'm sure that'll never happen, right?). Notable winners are John Forbes Nash (crazy guy from a Beautiful Mind), Robert Mundall (father of the euro) and Krugman (Non-partisan super genius).
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
🙏
May 22, 2013, 10:21:48 AM
Bitcoin has to go mainstream and have real impact on global economy before anyone should even think about the Nobel prize.
Activity: 546
May 22, 2013, 10:17:43 AM
If Barack Obama deserves a Nobel Peace Prize, then Bitcoin does not.

I would have a hard time accepting such a prize, given the likes of which have been given it in the past.
May 22, 2013, 09:40:51 AM
Ted Nelson (inventor of hypertext) believes that Bitcoin should win the Nobel Prize.

I think it could potentially win 2 ... one for peace, and one for economics.  Bitcoin is *far* better than anything done by Nash or most other nobel winners, imho.

Maybe Gavin could collect the first, and satoshi the second

Would this give Bitcoin the kudos it needs to go mainstream?
Pages:
Jump to: