Pages:
Author

Topic: Should I copy my electrum wallets to USB for extra backups? - page 2. (Read 269 times)

legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 2139
Professional Community manager
What I'm worried about is someone finding my written down seed and being able to use it, while, if they found a thumb drive they would not be able to use it without the password, which only I remember.
Discretion should be highly considered when storing your back ups and you can play around with it a bit to ensure that if anyone does find it, they would but be able to access your funds with only that information.
An extended seedphrase is one option, and works better than omitting one of the words when writing it down.
You can also have a multi-sig wallet and store them in different locations, so finding one of then would not grant access to the funds.
staff
Activity: 3402
Merit: 6065
Is your password complex enough? Because the wallet file can always be cracked. Regardless though, I think it's better to keep the wallet copies to a minimum.

As for your seed phrase, then you can always make a new one and add custom words to it. Write it down and store it without the extended words, that way, if someone finds it, he can't access your wallet.

Activity: 27
Merit: 50
Right now I have my wallets in cold storage on a laptop that has no internet access.

I also of course have my seed written down.

I was wondering, if I should stash a USB drive someplace very hidden with my electrum wallets on them, where I will remember the passwords. This would be just another backup where if anyone finds it, they wouldn't be able to access the wallet without the password. I would stash the USB drive someplace safe.

What I'm worried about is someone finding my written down seed and being able to use it, while, if they found a thumb drive they would not be able to use it without the password, which only I remember.

Pages:
Jump to: