Pages:
Author

Topic: should I just get used to this? - page 2. (Read 2582 times)

legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
July 27, 2013, 02:44:48 PM
In short, the answer to your question is yes. However, just as the American West has been mostly tamed, the Bitcoin industry will eventually become mostly regulated, and the consumer experience will improve (at a huge cost, of course).

Regarding Blockchain.info: do you run the Blockchain.info app on a rooted Android phone?
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002
July 27, 2013, 12:49:16 PM
OP FWIW I've watched scam sites come and go. There are sites which don't fit the scam mold IMO. BTC-e, Blockchain.info, and MtGox don't fit. At the end of the day it's up to the operator(s) of the site to not cheat their clients, because there is no regulation other than what the free market itself provides.

BTC-e was hacked early on (at least that's the story we were told) and had many coins stolen. This happened to many sites, but BTC-e was one of the few that replaced the lost coins out of their own profits. They seemed to be looking longer term. This was long before they were as popular as they are now. They couldn't have been making much at the time. I've also watched their site go offline without warning from DDoS etc., a classic start to a site disappearing with coins, but they come back. They are now the biggest exchange site for mixed bitcoin/alt-coin trading, moving hundreds of thousands of dollars daily. They are clearly profiting well now. It would hurt their exchange profits to lose customers over trust issues.

Am I saying people should give them full trust? Heck no. I don't say that about any exchange. Any site can pack up at anytime and disappear. That's why I've always said never keep more coins than you can afford to lose in any online service for the longer term. However, you can look at track record to get an idea of how much trust a service might receive. Same thing applies to Gox and Blockchain.info.
Activity: 277
Merit: 250
July 27, 2013, 11:23:02 AM
It is really not right to blame victims but... Do you have a learning deficiency? Stop giving other people control and complete trust.
Activity: 85
Merit: 10
July 27, 2013, 04:01:45 AM
Yes, you should get used to it. Or you can just choose to stop giving your decentralized cash away to strangers.
If you're so aware of the safety of information on you computer, why does it seem to be impossible to manage your own Bitcoin? Storing Bitcoin with third parties, is not something I recommend anybody with a 'heavily firewalled with encrypted FS linux'.

To get back to the car analogy. Showing of you know what side of the road you are supposed to drive on doesn't make you a good driver. And if you're such a good driver: Drive the thing yourself and don't use e-wallets.
Activity: 69
July 27, 2013, 01:18:19 AM
I hate to say it, but I have used all three of those services without any sort of problem, is it possible that your computer has had a security breach?

I had no problem either, until I did.

isn't this like saying "hey, I also drive a car and I have never had an accident"?

To follow your analogy,  you've had 3 car accidents driving 3 separate cars, and I've driven those 3 cars just fine without an issue.  Not saying that I will never have an issue....just saying that I haven't yet.
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
July 27, 2013, 12:31:03 AM
I hate to say it, but I have used all three of those services without any sort of problem, is it possible that your computer has had a security breach?

I had no problem either, until I did.

isn't this like saying "hey, I also drive a car and I have never had an accident"?

I seriously doubt my heavily firewalled with encrypted FS (where my bitcoin info is) linux is compromised, but even if it was, the 2nd password on blockchain uses a virtual keyboard to thwart keyloggers.   But more to your point, I have taken steps to insure my security locally.   Really, it is just blockchain that shocks me.  BTCE has been hacked up one side and down the other (a google search will confirm this, no flames please), and bitcoin-24 was flirting with legal disaster from the beginning, so loosing money to those guys is not a big surprise.
Activity: 69
July 26, 2013, 10:50:09 PM
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
July 26, 2013, 10:47:05 PM
Hi,
so i am wondering if the lack of anything that even closely resembles customer support or even semi-ethical behaviour is simply something I have to get used is I choose to play in th ebitcoins world.

** My account  (and many others) was hacked at BTCE, and their responsce was "Nope"
** Bitcoins-24 closed my account and took all my coins, and have not respoced to one request for their return
** And the latest, my double password protected account at blockchain was emptied of all bitcoins two weeks ago and my ticket asking them if anything had gone wrong is still in the "This request is awaiting assignment to a support agent" queue

I was under the impression that Blockchain was one of the more 'professional' outfits out there.

So far, the only organization that has made any effort in responding to my queries is MtGox.  in fact, they were very helpful in protecting my account after my BTCE account was hacked (as I made the mistake of using the same password on MtGox as BTCE).   

you would think that an industry already suspected my MSM of being overpopulated and driven by money laundering criminals, drug dealers, terrorists and child molesters would make SOME effort to to up their image, and not respond (if they respond) with a "yeah, sucks for you" response, even when their own incompetence is to blame.
Pages:
Jump to: