Pages:
Author

Topic: Should we just remove the wallet function of Bitcoin Core - page 2. (Read 3432 times)

legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564
100-address trap? I'm not aware of such things, is it an exploit of some sorts? Private key extraction through social engineering?

It's not an exploit. It means that backups are only good for 100 transactions from the time of backup. After that bitcoin core generates new private keys that are not in the backup you made so you must make a fresh backup. If you fail to do that and the wallet file on your hard drive is corrupted you lose money.

What's the argument against moving Bitcoin Core to HD?  Are the principle developers against it for some reason?

One of the principle developers invented the concept of HD wallets so they can't be more in favour of it.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
100-address trap? I'm not aware of such things, is it an exploit of some sorts? Private key extraction through social engineering?

I don't thibk the wallet functionality should be removed... I think the key is develop it further, having it deterministic maybe, as it was referred
Activity: 672
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078
I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.
Just see another victim of the 100-address trap in the Chinese subforum. 10BTC lost. Comments in the thread say the best option for noobs is to use a centralized bitcoin bank. I just feel speechless and don't want to argue with them

Should we just remove the wallet function of Bitcoin Core if HD is not (read: will never be) implemented? If people want to be a full node, they can use Armory. Otherwise, they can use Electrum.

Actually, wallets without deterministic backup (e.g. Bitcoin Core) should not be recommended in bitcoin.org

What's the argument against moving Bitcoin Core to HD?  Are the principle developers against it for some reason?
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1084
Actually, wallets without deterministic backup (e.g. Bitcoin Core) should not be recommended in bitcoin.org

Agreed.

Some kind of wallet is needed, even if only to create addresses for getblocktemplate.  A watching only wallet HD key could be used for that though.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1087
Just see another victim of the 100-address trap in the Chinese subforum. 10BTC lost. Comments in the thread say the best option for noobs is to use a centralized bitcoin bank. I just feel speechless and don't want to argue with them

Should we just remove the wallet function of Bitcoin Core if HD is not (read: will never be) implemented? If people want to be a full node, they can use Armory. Otherwise, they can use Electrum.

Pages:
Jump to: