Pages:
Author

Topic: Sia PoW Reset - They are finally bricking all asic miners - page 3. (Read 1205 times)

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

Comming from the guys who were all PRO asics. I could not care less. For me projects like that don't exist.

It was an interesting read for about the first 6-7 paragraphs, just to see what their thought process was, but it quickly devolved into a shitload of fluff that tried to put lipstick on a pig.  A few of my favorite quotes:

"In parallel and in secret, two larger manufacturers also began development of ASICs for Sia. The first one, Bitmain, did not announce their product until 10 days before shipping, effectively disrupting a multi-million dollar project from the community without warning and nearly causing a civil war."

"And indeed, Innosilicon is Sia’s largest miner, mining a stable 37.5% of the Sia hashrate."   (meaning 62.5% of the hashrate is coming from other companies!)

"For the Sia network, an important line was crossed when secret ASIC projects superseded a public project that had substantial community investment. Though the Obelisk project got a few things wrong, largely Obelisk went about ASIC development and manufacturing in the right way."

"Sia is forking today to reprimand the current ASIC monopoly for the damage it did to the Sia community, to make whole the supporters of Sia’s community ASIC project, and to send a clear message to all future Sia ASIC manufacturers: we will not tolerate an abusive ASIC monopoly."

"In the short term, this is a step backwards for Sia’s security. The hashrate will decrease substantially, which means our security margin against an attacker will be lower. In the long term, this sets the stage for a healthy mining community and a higher overall difficulty. We fully expect that the 28nm Obelisk ASICs will be replaced by a 16nm chip from another manufacturer, who will become the new manufacturing monopoly for Sia."
Activity: 308
Merit: 4

Comming from the guys who were all PRO asics. I could not care less. For me projects like that don't exist.
Basically they are douchebags going where the wind blows.

It will be interesting to see all the ASICs and their companies slowly burning Smiley

Also that:

The core developers ultimately decided against forking. We don’t view blockchains as a democracy, we view them as a source of stability. We like decentralization because it prevents groups outside of our control from making decisions that we don’t like. Decentralization is valuable because there is nobody in control, and we weren’t comfortable releasing an update that threatened to rip the community in half.

Is a really weird statement for a crypto project.
Activity: 1179
Merit: 131
Pages:
Jump to: