Pages:
Author

Topic: Siacoin $1 this year - page 2. (Read 715 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 100
send and receive money instantly, w/no hidden cost
February 11, 2018, 07:20:39 PM
I think Sia is worth $ 1. I would not say impossible, but it is a very remote possibility. If the price of bitcoin goes up a lot higher, then I think it might be.
Activity: 62
Merit: 0
February 11, 2018, 02:26:05 PM

OK, two possible scenarios (based on real-life usage):

1) I have a regular PC or laptop running. I use a computer a lot and my PC is running basically for 16 hours a day. I have space storage that I want to use for SIA. Thus, my electricity costs directly caused by Sia are a PC running for 8 hours per day. My PC (old Intel C2D E8400) consumes about 80 watts when on at idle. Let's assume 20 watts in case someone uses his laptop. 8 hours 365 days a year at 20W will give me about 14 dollars per electricity (Europe). If I let Sia use 1TB of storage, from my understanding of Sia, ~340GB can be effectively utilized for (the rest is redundancy). I earn 10.24 USD per year (current price of 2.56 USD/TB/month).

Result - loss of ~4 dollars per year.

2) I will use a dedicated hardware (let's assume something like Raspberry Pi) and 1 TB drive. RPi consumes about 1W of electricity. Let's assume SSD drive which consumes 0.05W in idle. So that means about 1W of power. Yes, then we have the electricity "for free". But your RasPi which is 40 dollars will get paid in more then 3-4 years, not counting the cost of that damn drive. Or you have spare 1TB SSDs for free?

I don't know - try to explain it to me - why is it actually worth for someone to rent its hard drive space. Even if the rewards were 5x that big. Even if I had electricity and the hardware (1TB drive) for free and the prices were x5, I would receive mere 5 USD per month. That is one hour of dishwashing somewhere in the pub like work in my country. And your space has to be 100% utilized which is clearly not the current state of Sia.

Yes - it may make sense for big server players who have hundreds and hundreds of GB spare. But then we are getting closer to centralized storage and not decentralized.

How about 3rd possibility? because 1st one you mentioned won't work at all, you need 99.9%+ uptime to earn good money

So...how about four 8TB disks for 32TB overall (about 220kWh per year plus maybe 200kWh more for Intel Atom-like PC) for about $1000 per year minus electricity?

That would about 1y ROI, but since whole market is low atm, so is sia coin...not too long ago that would be more than $3000 a year

Of course, I took best case scenario, and truth is somewhere in the middle...point of the story is, you can forget using laptop, or anything non-dedicated...you need dedicated
rig, same as with GPU mineable coins

So the only possible way for Sia to work is to be dependent on a large number of individual large-scale (tens of TB at least) providers which will own the hardware? Well, my opinion is that this won't end well. Sia markets that everyone can rent his free hard drive space for Sia customers. We have concluded that this is not profitable and users have no reason to do that.

How are you calculating the Sia rewards? The redundancy is x3 so either only third of space of is used effectively to store user data or the user is charged 3x as much for the data storage. Personally I don't know - do you know how this works? The redundancy must be stored somewhere. That means not 1000USD per year but one third of that which makes your ROI about 4 year-ish counting the electricity. Still not very good.

If the price of storage will rise to 3x current cost, the cost advantage against let's say Google Drive or Dropbox diminishes. Then it will be almost solely about speed, apps developed on top of the storage and marketing.
Activity: 15
February 11, 2018, 02:16:23 PM
as others said before : to much supply to get to this price (1$).
I dont see any chance that sia is going to have 10% share of the world wide cloud market.

Also my opinion is that hardware prices and storage prices for 1 TB sia are too low.
ROI is terrible, uptime must be 99,99% percent what is not possible to run that on a home pc system.
internet providers don´t provide 99,9% uptime, why should they ? thats only possible in data centers where the infrastructure is way better than copper or fiber to home wires.

Sia hosting is profitable when you have acess to:

cheap hardware without VAT
cheap electrical costs or solar energy at home
good internet connection which states that you have a expensive contract with a internet provider.

so hosting is only possible as running as a business, otherwise its really gambling. And for that there are better cryptoassets to speculate out there with better ROI and sharp ratio.
Activity: 532
Merit: 250
February 11, 2018, 02:10:06 PM
I am sure about that Sia will rise in value in the long term, but to predict its price, we should also have an idea about the rise of the market. Another bull run can make it even $2.
Activity: 2562
Merit: 321
February 11, 2018, 02:08:26 PM

1) I have a regular PC or laptop running. I use a computer a lot and my PC is running basically for 16 hours a day. I have space storage that I want to use for SIA. Thus, my electricity costs directly caused by Sia are a PC running for 8 hours per day. My PC (old Intel C2D E8400) consumes about 80 watts when on at idle. Let's assume 20 watts in case someone uses his laptop. 8 hours 365 days a year at 20W will give me about 14 dollars per electricity (Europe). If I let Sia use 1TB of storage, from my understanding of Sia, ~340GB can be effectively utilized for (the rest is redundancy). I earn 10.24 USD per year (current price of 2.56 USD/TB/month).

2) I will use a dedicated hardware (let's assume something like Raspberry Pi) and 1 TB drive. RPi consumes about 1W of electricity. Let's assume SSD drive which consumes 0.05W in idle. So that means about 1W of power. Yes, then we have the electricity "for free". But your RasPi which is 40 dollars will get paid in more then 3-4 years, not counting the cost of that damn drive. Or you have spare 1TB SSDs for free?

I don't know - try to explain it to me - why is it actually worth for someone to rent its hard drive space. Even if the rewards were 5x that big. Even if I had electricity and the hardware (1TB drive) for free and the prices were x5, I would receive mere 5 USD per month. That is one hour of dishwashing somewhere in the pub like work in my country. And your space has to be 100% utilized which is clearly not the current state of Sia.

Yes - it may make sense for big server players who have hundreds and hundreds of GB spare. But then we are getting closer to centralized storage and not decentralized.

How about 3rd possibility? because 1st one you mentioned won't work at all, you need 99.9%+ uptime to earn good money

So...how about four 8TB disks for 32TB overall (about 220kWh per year plus maybe 200kWh more for Intel Atom-like PC) for about $1000 per year minus electricity?

That would about 1y ROI, but since whole market is low atm, so is sia coin...not too long ago that would be more than $3000 a year

Of course, I took best case scenario, and truth is somewhere in the middle...point of the story is, you can forget using laptop, or anything non-dedicated...you need dedicated
rig, same as with GPU mineable coins
February 11, 2018, 01:55:56 PM
Sia coin is a good coin and also the project is really good compare to other sharing HDD but for going to $1 i must say it is almost impossible because of the coin in circullation is pretty big maybe in ten year or maybe not touch that price at all. It is arround 20 billion coin in circullation right ?

Could you please elaborate? I saw numerous times that this project is really good and storage prices are very low but why it should be profitable for storage providers? Current prices almost even do not pay for the electricity consumed due to 24/7 operation.

maybe you didn't check lately how much electricity average HDD uses? Cheesy

On topic, I don't think its possible until network is fully operable and get some major company use it for storage (Netflix, for example)

1) I have a regular PC or laptop running. I use a computer a lot and my PC is running basically for 16 hours a day. I have spare storage that I want to use for SIA. Thus, my electricity costs directly caused by Sia are a PC running for 8 hours per day. My PC (old Intel C2D E8400) consumes about 80 watts when on at idle. Let's assume 20 watts in case someone uses his laptop. 8 hours 365 days a year at 20W will give me about 14 dollars per electricity (Europe). If I let Sia use 1TB of storage, from my understanding of Sia, ~340GB can be effectively utilized for (the rest is redundancy). I earn 10.24 USD per year (current price of 2.56 USD/TB/month).

Activity: 2562
Merit: 321
February 11, 2018, 11:54:08 AM
Sia coin is a good coin and also the project is really good compare to other sharing HDD but for going to $1 i must say it is almost impossible because of the coin in circullation is pretty big maybe in ten year or maybe not touch that price at all. It is arround 20 billion coin in circullation right ?

Could you please elaborate? I saw numerous times that this project is really good and storage prices are very low but why it should be profitable for storage providers? Current prices almost even do not pay for the electricity consumed due to 24/7 operation.

maybe you didn't check lately how much electricity average HDD uses? Cheesy

On topic, I don't think its possible until network is fully operable and get some major company use it for storage (Netflix, for example)
February 11, 2018, 11:45:54 AM

Activity: 1246
Merit: 502
February 11, 2018, 11:36:47 AM
Activity: 1064
Merit: 522
Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network
February 10, 2018, 03:21:02 PM
what a silly title. first supply is too much. I need to increase it 50 times in order to get 1 dollars. this is so hard.
Activity: 176
Merit: 10
February 10, 2018, 03:16:20 PM
I believe in the project and its quality, should not be underestimated, but I will make a slight comparison with Ripple which has large institutions and similar supply,looks at the fight to stay at $ 1, everything will depend on investors and the commitment of the Siacoin team. Yet it is only my point of view.

February 10, 2018, 03:14:37 PM
Prices are extremely profitable, because a terabyte of saved data costs one tenth compared to centralized competitors.

Extremely profitable for whom? For someone who stores his data on the network - yes. But for storage providers, it is an economical suicide (or charity). Both sides have to profit. Sia will sooner or later fail due to this. What is the motivation for someone to rent his HDD space and run his computer 24/7 for couple of dollars per month (hundreds of GBs fully utilized for Sia)?
Activity: 154
Merit: 12
February 10, 2018, 02:44:32 PM
Because of mining, price will not go up as much, but it will continue to grow, maybe in a few years. we will have to wait for it.
Activity: 532
Merit: 103
February 10, 2018, 12:40:45 PM
I think that SC will not reach 1$ till the end of this year. Because there is too big supply of it and it continue to grow with the the mining of it.
Activity: 1540
Merit: 282
tBTC - https://dapp.tbtc.network/
February 10, 2018, 12:20:05 PM
there're a lot of things that we need to consider before investing into it,
even though it has a 'decent' network,
it won't change the fact that it has a lot of coins on circulation and some of them bought it at the bottom,
just like what people said,
the best/peak that we ever reached was around $0,07,if we're talking about its potential.
we can say it may hit $0,5 in the future(quite many in my opinion,but lets dream about it),
but bear it in your mind,it's totally different compared to Bitcoin.
Activity: 364
Merit: 102
February 10, 2018, 12:11:16 PM
Siacoin is already an advanced project, no longer a simple idea. Has been traded on the market since Aug 2015.
The idea itself, has demostrated how a good project can lead to a good currency. Prices are extremely profitable, because a terabyte of saved data costs one tenth compared to centralized competitors.
Despite these premises, I think that 1 usd is highly unlikely. That means 32 billion market capitalization, and compared to other projects it seems too much, at least for the next 2/3 years when hopefully the total market capitalizations would be around 2000 billion
Activity: 644
Merit: 501
February 09, 2018, 07:33:14 PM
Some of the experts are saying that Siacoin will hit $1 this year.

Is it possible with 32 billion circulating supply?

I want to stock it up.

Nope... The all time high previously was around 0.07 USD only. You'd be looking at a 15x gain if you want it to be $1, from the previous all time high. It would have to be some Verge level stuff if that happens.

I wouldn't put money on it. Siacoin usually gets hyped and then very quickly the hype dies off and price regresses to around $0.01 or so.

Right now SC is bearish and it should continue to be that way for a few months to come, and even in the best case scenario I really do not see Sia breaking half a dollar, since that would mean it would have a 16 billion market cap, which is crazy.
Activity: 546
Merit: 107
February 09, 2018, 07:21:58 PM
The $ 1 price level for Sia is far too far. Sia seemed to be in good shape last year in June. Later he suffered a great decline. The restoration will be this year.

$1 for Sia needs more years to achieve, they have so much coins supply.
Activity: 448
Merit: 100
send and receive money instantly, w/no hidden cost
February 09, 2018, 07:13:40 PM
The $ 1 price level for Sia is far too far. Sia seemed to be in good shape last year in June. Later he suffered a great decline. The restoration will be this year.
Activity: 280
Merit: 16
February 09, 2018, 06:42:03 PM
i can't imagine situation where sia reaches the 1$ this year, it must happen something  fabulous, what makes the price grow in 50 times ..if only SIA will become the coolest project providing the service of cloud storage and will kill all competitors  Grin.
Pages:
Jump to: