Pages:
Author

Topic: Simple entropy questions - page 2. (Read 2117 times)

pf
Activity: 176
Merit: 105
July 26, 2015, 08:13:41 AM
On the thread

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=673035.20

Armory developer etotheipi said this:

Quote from: etotheipi
Armory already collects real world entropy, including mouse movements, clicks, key presses, and hashes of system files, when creating the wallet.  It bundles in that extra entropy with the Crypto++ RNG.  That extra entropy alone should be well in excess of 256 bits.
It's collected in the background as you go through the create-wallet process.  Only 32-bytes of entropy is needed, and the whole process collects far more than that, so there's no need to explicitly request the user do stuff.  Though, from a marketing perspective, it's probably better to make the user aware that it's happening.

So is Armory really tracking and storing my mouse moves and keyboard presses while the "Wallet Creation Wizard" window is open? Does this mean I should prefer moving my mouse a lot and typing a lot on the keyboard for a few minutes when this window is open (in either Step 1 or Step 2 in the wizard)? Also, does this have to be done with Armory in the foreground? I'm on Ubuntu 14.04. (I'm guessing the OS won't send Armory those mouse and keyboard events unless it's in the foreground.)

That same thread also explains how to generate a new Armory wallet exclusively using 100 rolls of a 6-sided die. But my question is, how can I use die rolls to add entropy to the existing default Armory wallet generation? As opposed to relying exclusively on the die. The die could be biased after all. Update: Since Armory is tracking keyboard events in that wallet creation wizard window, would this method work?: 1) roll the die. 2) type the number on the die that comes up on my keyboard. 3) repeat 100 times. Once that is done, proceed with creating the wallet. What do you think?
Pages:
Jump to: