Pages:
Author

Topic: smoke detector - page 2. (Read 324 times)

Activity: 279
Merit: 1
January 16, 2021, 12:27:37 PM
I have been using corsair PSU to all my rigs. This rig has individual PCIE cables for each GPU and riser. Sorry but I fail to understand which cable is wrong. Thanks for your help.

Heat is generated when high currents encounter resistances. These are mostly either bad wires (small diameter) or bad connectors.
If you are confident in the quality of your power supply and use dedicated cables, make sure you don't have bad connectors somewhere. If the connector is loose, it should be replaced.

I'm just saying that a smoke detector is not a good solution because the wires shouldn't melt if everything is done correctly.

I completely agree that wires should not melt. I do make sure that there is no loose connections. But this did happen. First incident in 3 years of mining.
There were 2 more cases when one of the black wires in the cable broke. Normally it has 5 small wires but one got broken. I normally keep extra cables and immediately replace the bad ones. Interesting thing that this happened to my latest rig which is less than 6 months old. Other rigs that are close to 3 years never had issue issues  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1359
January 16, 2021, 11:28:18 AM
I have been using corsair PSU to all my rigs. This rig has individual PCIE cables for each GPU and riser. Sorry but I fail to understand which cable is wrong. Thanks for your help.

Heat is generated when high currents encounter resistances. These are mostly either bad wires (small diameter) or bad connectors.
If you are confident in the quality of your power supply and use dedicated cables, make sure you don't have bad connectors somewhere. If the connector is loose, it should be replaced.

I'm just saying that a smoke detector is not a good solution because the wires shouldn't melt if everything is done correctly.
January 16, 2021, 10:32:32 AM
Recently a cable connecting riser to PSU melted. Do people here use any smoke alarm to get notification? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

I experienced melted cables myself, but it was due to poor wiring. Are you sure you didn't accidentally use bad wiring to get that melted cable, for example poorly connected +12V?
Don't skimp on cables. Don't use a 6/8pin GPU power adapter from SATA or Molex. Even 2xMolex to PCIE isn't a smart idea.
Of course if you have a crappy PSU it only makes things even worse.

Use only dedicated 6/8pin PCIE cables and I prefer only power supplies of the top brand with enough juice.

Smoke detector alarm should be your second line of defense. Better safe than sorry, as they say.

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1359
January 16, 2021, 10:24:31 AM
Recently a cable connecting riser to PSU melted. Do people here use any smoke alarm to get notification? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

I experienced melted cables myself, but it was due to poor wiring. Are you sure you didn't accidentally use bad wiring to get that melted cable, for example poorly connected +12V?
Don't skimp on cables. Don't use a 6/8pin GPU power adapter from SATA or Molex. Even 2xMolex to PCIE isn't a smart idea.
Of course if you have a crappy PSU it only makes things even worse.

Use only dedicated 6/8pin PCIE cables and I prefer only power supplies of the top brand with enough juice.

Smoke detector alarm should be your second line of defense. Better safe than sorry, as they say.
January 16, 2021, 10:20:39 AM
I think it's important to understand why the cable melted, possibly you overloaded something PSU or cables ... If you can describe how you connect your Sata or molex risers? how many per cable ...
Only one riser was connected to the cable. This rig has 7 5700 XT using 2 corsair PSU (850i & 800). Each GPU and riser has separate wire to the PSUs. Sata cable to the risers.
Thanks for your help.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1429
Payment Gateway Allows Recurring Payments
January 16, 2021, 09:51:55 AM
I think it's important to understand why the cable melted, possibly you overloaded something PSU or cables ... If you can describe how you connect your Sata or molex risers? how many per cable ...
January 16, 2021, 09:44:36 AM
Pages:
Jump to: