Pages:
Author

Topic: Snowden's Secure Email Service Mysteriously Shuts Down - page 2. (Read 4709 times)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0
Email service Lavabit abruptly shut down citing government interference

Founder of service reportedly used by Edward Snowden said he would not be complicit in 'crimes against the American people'.

Source: The Guardian
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
No mystery there. USG told him to comply with spying, shut down, or face criminal prosecution.

ETA: Before the "show me the citation" comment -- the USG doesn't need one. It's not a lawful government. Just look at how they handled the coup "complex situation" in Egypt. They're very willing to get around the spirit of a law by reinterpreting the letter.
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
http://media.bestofmicro.com/S/A/396298/original/lavabit-shutdown-letter.jpg

Snowden's Secure Email Service Mysteriously Shuts Down

Ever heard of Lavabit? It was a secure email service that NSA leaker Edward Snowden used to communicate while on the run — and now it's been shut down.

"My fellow users, I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of hard work by shutting down Lavabit," wrote Lavabit owner and operator Ladar Levison in an open letter posted on Lavabit.com today ( Aug. 8 ). "After significant soul searching, I have decided to suspend operations."

Source: Tom's Guide
Pages:
Jump to: