Pages:
Author

Topic: So how on earth am I supposed to get bitcoins in the UK? - page 2. (Read 14521 times)

legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067
You could give my site a try http://mjbmonetarymetals.co.uk/ fill a form from the bitcoin tab

I buy bitcoins at mt. Gox gbp price and sell at +5%

Might be useful for some in the UK, at least until we get a fully functioning exchange.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
Have a look at bit2brit.co.uk

There are unanswered questions about this exchange that was launched by someone not recognized as having participated yet in the Bitcoin community (i.e., consider using an escrow if doing a trade.)

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bit2brit-121265
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010
Borsche
People say that you can't do it by credit/debit card because of the risk of a chargeback, that's bullshit. I just purchased a £2000 Gibson by debit card, same thing. How is it different all of a sudden just because the product is bitcoins?

Well, it's pretty easy to hide bitcoins and pretend you never got them; not so much with Gibson, there is a whole postal track record and the physical object in your house, etc.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Hi,

Have a look at http://bit2brit.co.uk, you can buy and sell BTC here, buy bitcoins: http://bit2brit.co.uk/buy-bitcoins-uk, and trade btc for gbp here: http://bit2brit.co.uk/sell-bitcoins-uk at a good exchange rates.

We are based in the UK and offer personal meetings to trade large sums over 2k.

Please PM me or email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
The Bit2Brit Team
Activity: 910
Merit: 1005
For those unable to use PingIt we now also offer an instant bank transfer option. Limits apply.
Activity: 34
Easiest method seems to be.............
Pop down to the local shop and buy a Ukash voucher,
Use Ukash tools on their website to convert to Euros,
Register with Cashu, convert Ukash to CashU,
Register with OKPAY, add funds to account with CashU,
Buy BTC`s via MT.Gox adding funds using OKPAY - 1% fee,

Yeah, I know it is a joke trying to buy BTC`s in the UK,

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Annuit cœptis humanae libertas
Some meaningful news on Mt Gox's troubles with Barclays / the UK banking system would be nice. Will this get fixed any time soon?
Activity: 179
Merit: 100
From the UK, the cheapest way to buy with GBP is via PingIt to Blockchain as the post above says (you have to open up an account with Barclays first). The fee is 0.97% total which is reasonable as even with Mt Gox you still have to pay a 0.6% transaction fee. The other way is to do international money transfer to say Mt Gox but it is expensive, e.g. with Barclays this costs £25 per transfer. I think Mt Gox's bank in Japan also charges like 1000Yen for handling the transfer so altogether you are looking at around the £35 mark. To make this cost efficient, you'd have to do a transfer of at least £10,000 and this gets the charge down to 0.35% plus add on the 0.6% from trading and you have equivalence with the PingIt/Blockchain method. Downside with PingIt though is you can only transfer a maximum of £250 per week.

WE WANT A CHEAP NO LIMIT WAY TO BUY BITCOIN IN GBP DAMNIT!

Update on this one - the fee for blockchain.info pingit deposits is now 5.97% - so not so great. Does suck in the UK at the min for getting bitcoins. But yeah, try localbitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
Convert your funds to euros and wire tranfer to bitcoin-central.net EUR account:
Account Holder Name: Paymium (Paymium is the registered company operating bitcoin-central, instwawire, instawallet and Paytunia)
IBAN: FR76 3006 6108 8700 0200 7310 542
BIC: CMCIFRPP

If you do not want to convert, send GBP to Paymium's account in GBP .
Your bitcoin-central account will be credited in Euro at the going rate when we receive the funds.
IBAN: FR76 3006 6108 8700 0200 7310 930

In any case, since the UK is in the SEPA zone, the wire transfer is free.
There is a 15 € fee only if you mistakenly send euros to a GBP account or vice versa.
Do not forget to copy your bitcoin-central account number (BC-XXX..) in the "comments" field of your wire transfer online form.
Which banks allow SEPA transactions for free? Natwest trying to charge me £25!

Heh, same with Barclays, from what I've read. I'm not convinced the UK *is* actually in the SEPA zone, but only just started looking into it...

I think UK is just tad behind implementing SEPA transfers to other EU contries, source:

https://www.ukpayments.org.uk/payment_options/cross_border_payments/single_euro_payments_area_(sepa)/

Although the UK is a non-euro country and the number of cross-border euro payments to and from the UK is comparatively small, the UK payment industry is committed to making SEPA a reality.
A number of UK-based payment service providers (including many Payments Council Members) currently offer SEPA Credit Transfer products to their customers. These institutions account for in excess of 85% of the UK payments market by volume. Customers of these institutions are able to make SEPA Credit Transfers from their accounts in the UK on a SEPA-wide basis.
At this stage, we believe that the creation (or realisation) of SEPA will be invisible to the vast majority of UK customers making sterling payments, as the sterling Schemes will continue to operate alongside the SEPA versions. However, UK-based businesses and individuals who make or receive payments in euros will be affected by SEPA as its geographical scope extends beyond the eurozone.

I found out British people could use transferwise for sending SEPA wires though

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4149375
Activity: 295
Merit: 250
Convert your funds to euros and wire tranfer to bitcoin-central.net EUR account:
Account Holder Name: Paymium (Paymium is the registered company operating bitcoin-central, instwawire, instawallet and Paytunia)

Your bitcoin-central account will be credited in Euro at the going rate when we receive the funds.

There is a 15 € fee only if you mistakenly send euros to a GBP account or vice versa.
Do not forget to copy your bitcoin-central account number (BC-XXX..) in the "comments" field of your wire transfer online form.

Heh, same with Barclays, from what I've read. I'm not convinced the UK *is* actually in the SEPA zone, but only just started looking into it...
Activity: 168

legendary
Activity: 1221
Merit: 1025
e-ducat.fr

Activity: 168
For Bitcoin in the UK, BitInstant just released an online bank transfer system. This has not been publicly announced yet, but it works, and is very fast.  

On BitInstant.com, select your UK flag (You can see many other countries are available for this as well), then select Online Bank Transfer and go through the process. You can have the funds converted automatically into BTC and sent to your Bitcoin account, so you don't even need to bother with any exchanges. Fee is 3.49% if over $100 worth, and 3.99% if under.

EDIT: note that these bank transfer payments are nearly instant (matter of minutes). It does not take 1-3 days like most bank transfers. It's pretty baller, actually Wink

Just tried this with various amounts and received the same message:

"We are sorry but we are unable to accept this transaction at present. Please double check your transaction amount is within limits or try again later"

Sad
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata

Mercabit tried to charge me something like £12.50 per bitcoin. No thanks... it was £8 or something last time which was reasonable :s

Pease pm me your email to check it out, and apologize if that's true.
Activity: 30
The only optioned seemd to be OKPay. They have documentation which proves who I am, and where I live official government documents. Yet  if I do a bank transfer, they need to see further proof, a photo of my holding my identification! Are they fucking idiots? What a load of bellends.

Shoe on head, sharpie in pooper and stfu.

I might deliver to them. I called up their customer services before and it was absolutely diabolical.

Anyway, I've just sent Blockchain some money with Pingit. I probably won't see the bitcoins until the morning as Pingit is all mobile based and transactions will have to be processed manually, and understandably, the fella who runs blockchain is probably sleeping, unless he is nocturnal like me.

A local lad down in Crocky is also selling coins, I might pay him a visit and take everything he has.
Activity: 756
Merit: 522
The only optioned seemd to be OKPay. They have documentation which proves who I am, and where I live official government documents. Yet  if I do a bank transfer, they need to see further proof, a photo of my holding my identification! Are they fucking idiots? What a load of bellends.

Shoe on head, sharpie in pooper and stfu.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
You can buy gold and silver with bitcoin from coinabul.com and then sell  it locally
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1023
Democracy is the original 51% attack
For Bitcoin in the UK, BitInstant just released an online bank transfer system. This has not been publicly announced yet, but it works, and is very fast.  

On BitInstant.com, select your UK flag (You can see many other countries are available for this as well), then select Online Bank Transfer and go through the process. You can have the funds converted automatically into BTC and sent to your Bitcoin account, so you don't even need to bother with any exchanges. Fee is 3.49% if over $100 worth, and 3.99% if under.

EDIT: note that these bank transfer payments are nearly instant (matter of minutes). It does not take 1-3 days like most bank transfers. It's pretty baller, actually Wink
Activity: 369
Merit: 250
I sell bitcoin for a fixed fee. As much as you will realistically need. Pm me.
Activity: 30
Ok I've figured everything out on Pingit I think, where it says 'message', should I put my reference no. in there? Going to try it out with a smaller deposit before throwing a few hundred quid at it.
Pages:
Jump to: