Pages:
Author

Topic: So I got a free laptop and am looking to setup a linux os for a node . - page 2. (Read 365 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 896
Hi. Personally I have tried the following 2:

1. I had Ubuntu installed on a laptop that I used for programming. I formatted the SSD and reinstalled Ubuntu. Then everything went super smooth, though I suppose Ubuntu is not designed to be working 24/7 (as a server)

2. I bought a raspberry pi 4B and installed the native raspberry Linux distro (raspbian). I used SSH from my laptop to connect to it and installed custom software for running the node. I managed to run Core and CLN but I was unable to install my own mempool instance, which I really wanted to do.

legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
Ahhh, the linux distro wars bitciontalk style.

IMO debian and unbutu and the projects based on them such as mint are the most supported though the community with a lot of places to look for help.
CentOS and it's forks tend to be more stable (not always but tend to be)
And FreeBSD is a royal pain in the ass, but once you get it up it's rock solid and secure.

But, for something like this. If you install one and it does not work for you, just move to the next. You don't have to live with any particular distro if it's not working the way you want it to.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
From my own experience: try a few, and see which one you like. I tend to switch once in a while, for instance when Ubuntu went nuts with their Unity interface. Totally designed for Newbies, but I didn't like it.
I've also switched between Gnome and KDE a few times. They all tend to get more demanding and animating. Try Knoppix (boot from DVD without installation) to see how crazy animations can get: the last one I downloaded had "magic lamp minimize" and "wobbly windows" by default.
After this, I'm down to Linux Mint now. With adjusted Appearance: I want my active window to have a clear blue border. The default is dark and barely shows which window is active. Clearlooks is a good start for Appearance, but I've customized it further.
Good luck Smiley It's all about taste Smiley
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
I have an i7 3rd gen Asus if you wanted to run a node which linux would you put on it?
If I were you, I would install Linux Mint. That OS I tried in the past and very light to running nodes. Apart from that, Linux Mint looks like Windows to me, that enough familiar for a beginner who just learning Linux.

I am a guy that forgot the debian and the unbutu. i used back in 2014 and 2015.

but if mint is easy. i would do it.

The 2tb ssd arrives tomorrow I will drop it in and download either mint or debian.

I will post back tomorrow once it is down loading.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1022
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
I have an i7 3rd gen Asus if you wanted to run a node which linux would you put on it?
If I were you, I would install Linux Mint. That OS I tried in the past and very light to running nodes. Apart from that, Linux Mint looks like Windows to me, that enough familiar for a beginner who just learning Linux.
legendary
I should recommend a debian installation, it have a lot of support and a strong comunity. But all depends of you.

I have not done a Debian in years. I will give it a try tomorrow. 

Any special things you can think of to keep in mind. I think I will look for the Debian forum and read a bit.
Activity: 828
Merit: 657
I should recommend a debian installation, it have a lot of support and a strong comunity. But all depends of you.
legendary
So have not setup a linux in a while I went to linux.org and wanted to download a linux

I would drop in a large 2tb ssd and start from scratch.
Pages:
Jump to: