Pages:
Author

Topic: So, my guy at HP Personal Systems... - page 2. (Read 4881 times)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500
Your *what* is itchy?
October 11, 2012, 03:39:31 PM
ugh, yeah, i will agree with ya about hitachi drives. i've never had any luck with hitachi, and i do deep digging before i buy something now to make sure it doesn't have Hitachi inside...

Well, market share would seem to support us in the server space. the DL380G7 was the best-selling 2U/2socket box in the world for 2yrs straight. the DL380G8 looks well poised to keep that going... 

As someone who was a hp/compaq server customer/user/admin long before i joined HP, I can honestly say that I had very few issues with the servers. a few add-on card failures, a drive failure here and there, but overall, the ProLiant rackmount family as a whole was pretty solid, and from what I've played with here for the last 2 years, it's still pretty great stuff.

We're anonymous here, so i've got nothing to lose or prove by spewing marketing bullshit and "company line" rhetoric....yeah, a lot of our PSG (now PPS) stuff sucks, particularly our attempts to get into the handheld and tablet markets (although the Slate2 is a pretty good win7 tablet device..i have one, it's a fun toy...could use a little more OOMPH in the CPU, and a bit more ram, but it's a pretty cool tablet), but printers and servers and storage, we're still kicking ass, and we're gaining share year over year in networking...Cisco is still the big bear to beat in that space.

Not gonna lie, this year's been tough. we reduced our workforce by 30,000 heads worldwide a few months ago, offered early retirement to a bunch more last month, and there'll probably be another round of cuts before the end of the month (our year end).   But it's been a tough year for almost everybody in the tech space. We're not the only ones taking a beating out there.

and no need to apologize for sticking to Cisco servers/blades. If they're working for you, and you're happy, then good on ya! :-) I certainly won't slander them by sayign their stuff sucks, cuz it doesn't.  They make industry standard servers, we make industry standard servers.  apples-to-apples, the hardware's pretty close to being the same. it's the management software and functionality stack that really differentiates.  For example, our Gen8 servers, blades and rackmount, are 3 seconds to video on a remote management connection, which is a huge improvement over the previous iteration. let's you see POST a lot sooner and react a lot faster to any error states.

Anyway, almost time to call it a day, gonna go home and install this Tesla card, run GUIMiner for a little bit just to get an idea of the performance, and then play Torchlight2 on it for laughs. Then back to my 6770. :-)

and sorry, csshih, i gotta give the Tesla back in a couple weeks LOL
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
October 11, 2012, 03:02:26 PM
Ohhhhhh so he was already inside cuz you work there  Grin Didn't think of that possibility, lol.

The lowest failure rate I've seen on a HP laptop is 24% over 3 years (realistically I'd say 75% but that's what squaretrade said) so congrats, you fell within the odds just barely, lol.  I however, at my shop, have a stack of 5 different dv6000-9000 models that are totalled.  Also, my brother's mother in law got 1 from the store and the keyboard didn't work so she returned it and within 1 week, the 2nd one's screen failed.  HP uses the worst parts for all their systems.  I saw a $900 elitebook come in and it had a Hitachi hard drive.  You cannot escape from their non-existent part quality standards at any price level!

Oh and as for Meg, do the paraphrased words "Let's stop making desktops and kill the entire division of our company that makes them....aww fuck it, keep making them" ring a bell? Tongue
She was right the first time.  I told my server vendors at my other job I'm not even touching an HP server until they assured me about 10 times that their server products aren't like their desktops (or printers) at all and they're actually respectable and don't fail.  We're still getting cisco ones, sorry Tongue I am under the impression that HP is incapable of building anything good after seeing their printers, laptops, and desktops so not ruining their company's reputation by making them would be a very good idea.

I run a repair company and after seeing so many bad parts and unnecessary failures of parts and bad product designs and bad software, I would not use an HP computer if it was free.
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
October 11, 2012, 02:43:17 PM
when you're done playing with that card I would love to buy that from you Smiley
Your *what* is itchy?
October 11, 2012, 02:23:13 PM
Hmmm I don't get it...at my work, if anyone comes in trying to sell us HP equipment, we throw furniture at them until they leave.  How did yours make it in the door? lol.

Are you not aware of their bullshit prices, awful warranties, awful support, beyond awful hardware with massive failure rates, the fact that they're dead last in customer satisfaction and dead last in failure rates in 2009-2011 for laptops, their printers' TCOs are the highest in the industry, their server parts have about a 1000% markup, their software is written by morons and is bulky, non-working crap for any product they've ever released, 5 of their last 7 CEOs got arrested, their tablet was the worst disaster in recent tech history, their current CEO is a moron, and they're headed toward bankruptcy?

I work at HP too...so he just walked by my cube and handed it to me.

Believe me, I'm well aware of the issues in Personal Systems Group, and our revolving-door CEO position. Don't even get me started on the TouchPad. I bought a bunch during the internal "fire sale", and flipped em for a 300% profit by hacking them into Android tablets.

I will say, however, that my last two laptops have been HP "entertainment" PC's, and i have had no issues. 

Meg's a moron? hrm. haven't seen that yet, but time will tell.  Bankruptcy? You must have better sources than i do...

Activity: 392
October 11, 2012, 02:10:26 PM
Hmmm I don't get it...at my work, if anyone comes in trying to sell us HP equipment, we throw furniture at them until they leave.  How did yours make it in the door? lol.

Are you not aware of their bullshit prices, awful warranties, awful support, beyond awful hardware with massive failure rates, the fact that they're dead last in customer satisfaction and dead last in failure rates in 2009-2011 for laptops, their printers' TCOs are the highest in the industry, their server parts have about a 1000% markup, their software is written by morons and is bulky, non-working crap for any product they've ever released, 5 of their last 7 CEOs got arrested, their tablet was the worst disaster in recent tech history, their current CEO is a moron, and they're headed toward bankruptcy?
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
October 11, 2012, 02:02:03 PM
Wonder how the S2070 got such a high Mhash rating?  Must be a major architectural difference between the C-series and S-series teslas?

Should I even bother having him get me a Quadro6000? or just see if he has any ATI V7800's in the store room?

*edit* yeah, just found out. S-series has 4GPUs, C-series has 1. That'd do it. so, basically, i'dget about 1/4 of the Mhash...like 125....bah.

ah well. if he has some V7800's lying around, those are probably EOL soon and he can write em off/dump em.

Check out powercolor Devil 13 for mining.
Your *what* is itchy?
October 11, 2012, 01:15:21 PM
Wonder how the S2070 got such a high Mhash rating?  Must be a major architectural difference between the C-series and S-series teslas?

Should I even bother having him get me a Quadro6000? or just see if he has any ATI V7800's in the store room?

*edit* yeah, just found out. S-series has 4GPUs, C-series has 1. That'd do it. so, basically, i'dget about 1/4 of the Mhash...like 125....bah.

ah well. if he has some V7800's lying around, those are probably EOL soon and he can write em off/dump em.
Activity: 378
October 11, 2012, 01:12:14 PM
*booooourns*

Well that kinda blows.  Still gonna toss it in anyway, just for shits'n'giggles.  First time I've had my hands on a $2000+ video card...got a bunch of ATI FirePro and FireGL's (V7800, V7750x2), but those are old.

Yeah, the Nvidia cards just suck for mining.  Probably great for Folding@Home projects though.
Your *what* is itchy?
October 11, 2012, 01:10:47 PM
*booooourns*

Well that kinda blows.  Still gonna toss it in anyway, just for shits'n'giggles.  First time I've had my hands on a $2000+ video card...got a bunch of ATI FirePro and FireGL's (V7800, V7750x2), but those are old.

Activity: 378
October 11, 2012, 01:08:14 PM
I wouldn't waste your time, you'll likely get under 100 MH.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_Hardware_Comparison#Nvidia

Your *what* is itchy?
October 11, 2012, 01:05:40 PM
...jsut dropped me off a Tesla C2050 to play with...

can't wait to get home and install it in my mining PC
Pages:
Jump to: