Pages:
Author

Topic: So you think you're going to start a Bitcoin business, right? - page 9. (Read 71670 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but you make it sound like the glory days of Bitcoin are behind us. Sure, I was just a baby when a bunch of weirdos started playing their metal in the 80s, but it shaped the face of music for decades to come. As the excitement and novelty of Bitcoins wear off, we start to move toward an even more important phase: How are bitcoins incorporated into our everyday lives? We're just BARELY starting to get to that point.

I'd have said the stupid days of Bitcoin are behind us. Sorta like how the Van Buren crisis brought an end to the stupid days of America.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
Well, take this with a grain of salt as I am not Nostradamus or Merlin or anything, but: Bitcoin started as some bullshit nonsense (not in fact, but in the eyes of the world). A year or so of diligent work by dedicated people (you know, the geeks working on client etc) slowly changed this, and suddenly a section of the general population felt very empowered. Any anonymous bank clerk thought himself promoted to bank manager because Bitcoin. Any half-literate chav felt ready to open a stock exchange. Because Bitcoin, and his own partial understanding thereof makes him special enough.

These people weren't rich, weren't educated, weren't experienced or intellectually sophisticated or more generally speaking...these people had no social value, practically (which explains why they sought their value in Bitcoin: same reason the US was originally colonized, same reason anything new happens). As such, they constructed the usual buildings of the stupid, creating fake agreement, inventing their own version of political correctness and so forth. The divergence between reality such as it was and the very limited abilities of representation that they possessed increased over time and eventually allowed swindlers slightly more savvy than the average rock to wreak all sorts of havoc.

The imaginary towers built on the shoddy representations of shoddy minds came tumbling down, and after Pirate you've seen all these wanna-bes collapsing one after another. They're too many to list here and possibly not worth the mention anyway.

The people that are left are...well...the people that are left. But for what it's worth I don't think intent enters much into it at all, so far. What we've had were idiots who honestly thought they're good enough, like Kludge, like Harnett, like who have you. They weren't good enough. That's pretty much all.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but you make it sound like the glory days of Bitcoin are behind us. Sure, I was just a baby when a bunch of weirdos started playing their metal in the 80s, but it shaped the face of music for decades to come. As the excitement and novelty of Bitcoins wear off, we start to move toward an even more important phase: How are bitcoins incorporated into our everyday lives? We're just BARELY starting to get to that point.
Activity: 382
Merit: 253
Well, considering I can count to 31 on one hand, that's still a decent amount of them.
You know of 31 different people that you would willingly loan 10,000BTC? I can think of maybe 5.
That's your question?  I was wondering how he had 31 fingers on one hand...
Lol no he's using a binary that's basically 2^(number of fingers you use). On one hand, that means counting to 31. If he had 31 fingers, he could count to 2.1Billion!

Bingo!
Not quite as many as there used to be, sadly.
lol That says it all...
HAHA I was thinking the same thing.

And why is that? They take those 10k BTC and run? Tongue  Wink Grin

Well, take this with a grain of salt as I am not Nostradamus or Merlin or anything, but: Bitcoin started as some bullshit nonsense (not in fact, but in the eyes of the world). A year or so of diligent work by dedicated people (you know, the geeks working on client etc) slowly changed this, and suddenly a section of the general population felt very empowered. Any anonymous bank clerk thought himself promoted to bank manager because Bitcoin. Any half-literate chav felt ready to open a stock exchange. Because Bitcoin, and his own partial understanding thereof makes him special enough.

These people weren't rich, weren't educated, weren't experienced or intellectually sophisticated or more generally speaking...these people had no social value, practically (which explains why they sought their value in Bitcoin: same reason the US was originally colonized, same reason anything new happens). As such, they constructed the usual buildings of the stupid, creating fake agreement, inventing their own version of political correctness and so forth. The divergence between reality such as it was and the very limited abilities of representation that they possessed increased over time and eventually allowed swindlers slightly more savvy than the average rock to wreak all sorts of havoc.

The imaginary towers built on the shoddy representations of shoddy minds came tumbling down, and after Pirate you've seen all these wanna-bes collapsing one after another. They're too many to list here and possibly not worth the mention anyway.

The people that are left are...well...the people that are left. But for what it's worth I don't think intent enters much into it at all, so far. What we've had were idiots who honestly thought they're good enough, like Kludge, like Harnett, like who have you. They weren't good enough. That's pretty much all.
legendary
Yes. I could count them on one hand, but there are people that are that well trusted.
Well, considering I can count to 31 on one hand, that's still a decent amount of them.
You know of 31 different people that you would willingly loan 10,000BTC? I can think of maybe 5.
That's your question?  I was wondering how he had 31 fingers on one hand...
Lol no he's using a binary that's basically 2^(number of fingers you use). On one hand, that means counting to 31. If he had 31 fingers, he could count to 2.1Billion!
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Yes. I could count them on one hand, but there are people that are that well trusted.

That's your question?  I was wondering how he had 31 fingers on one hand...
legendary
Activity: 382
Merit: 253

legendary
lol That says it all...
HAHA I was thinking the same thing.

And why is that? They take those 10k BTC and run? Tongue  Wink Grin

lol That says it all...
This part caught my eye...
"Who are the movers and shakers? Whose word is worth 10k Bitcoins no questions asked and from whom? Why?"

Does anyone in the Bitcoin community really have this sort of unshakable faith in any other member?  Any person who could convince a dozen others each to trust him/her with 10k Bitcoins would have to be considered a flight risk.

50000-100000 Bitcoin has a lot of value compared to a reputation.  I wouldn't trust ANYONE with that kind of temptation, it would seem kind of foolish to even consider doing so.

Then again you're new, so that's both naturally to be expected and quite reasonable.

On the other hand, communities build trust over time, irl people end up married even, it's how these things work. In time.

legendary
"Who are the movers and shakers? Whose word is worth 10k Bitcoins no questions asked and from whom? Why?"

Does anyone in the Bitcoin community really have this sort of unshakable faith in any other member?  Any person who could convince a dozen others each to trust him/her with 10k Bitcoins would have to be considered a flight risk.

50000-100000 Bitcoin has a lot of value compared to a reputation.  I wouldn't trust ANYONE with that kind of temptation, it would seem kind of foolish to even consider doing so.

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

Did the whole otc-pgp thing finally, went trough my past transactions and found a whopping one person who could rate me Sad I guess a rating of one is better than none, but not by much.

Well done. Don't despair, like all good things it takes time.
Did the whole otc-pgp thing finally, went trough my past transactions and found a whopping one person who could rate me Sad I guess a rating of one is better than none, but not by much.

Personally, I had better luck with heatware.  Same basic principle, it just works with multiple websites/trading groups...
Activity: 910
Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com
Just goes to show WOT is not foolproof.  Trusted people can turn scammer.  It happens.  Just because they are trusted on the wot doesn't mean the business wont fold.

Basically, your arguments are sound.  And sure it may help to be on wot, but you have to admit that there are exceptions to every rule.  There are no absolutes, especially on the interweb...

Obviously nothing is foolproof. Let's look at it in the drive-vs-fly perspective: the fact that flight is a superior mode of transportation over driving if long distances are involved does not imply either that cars should never be used or that planes can never crash.
Late last week, a few of us in #bitcoin-otc were scammed by someone (GPG-registered and positively rated in the Web of Trust) who was buying Bitcoins and paying with a stolen/hacked Chase QuickPay account....

Just goes to show WOT is not foolproof.  Trusted people can turn scammer.  It happens.  Just because they are trusted on the wot doesn't mean the business wont fold.

Basically, your arguments are sound.  And sure it may help to be on wot, but you have to admit that there are exceptions to every rule.  There are no absolutes, especially on the interweb...
Activity: 1470
Merit: 509
MPOE-PR - superb post in every way! :-)

Well done. Everything you have said is valid. And it ain't easy .. I've learnt that the hard way .....

Pages:
Jump to: