Pages:
Author

Topic: Soft Fork | Can the users who didn't update their client still mine blocks? - page 2. (Read 289 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
In case of a soft fork, users who don't update their client software will still be able to see new blocks being mined but will they be able to mine blocks themselves?
Nodes that don't have the updated version of a Bitcoin client will reject any blocks that will contain SegWit transactions. Thus, they'll follow their own chain that will quickly become abandoned.

If no , then was Bitcoin's SegWit softfork an exception?
It wasn't an exception, it was as being said, a “soft fork”. It means that it is backwards-compatible, but the majority of the miners have to agree upon the new rules.

If yes, wouldn't it lead to two types of blocks being mined?
Well, if the majority of the miners switched to other rules, then the old chain would be abandoned and there'd be less effort given to it which would make block generation slower. But, I guess that theoretically, yes. The “old” nodes could continue mining with their own rules.

Note that the reason for Bitcoin Cash's creation was a minority that disagreed with SegWit. An expert could correct me if that's false.
Activity: 2
Merit: 2
In case of a soft fork, users who don't update their client software will still be able to see new blocks being mined but will they be able to mine blocks themselves?

If no , then was Bitcoin's SegWit softfork an exception? Because as far as I know, even the ones who didn't update their software can still mine blocks.
If yes, wouldn't it lead to two types of blocks being mined?
Pages:
Jump to: