Pages:
Author

Topic: Solar array starting to look good. - page 6. (Read 20463 times)

legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
February 28, 2016, 04:11:24 PM
Wow, how about you sir where are you located exactly. Are you going for a bigger setup?

northeast USA. i doubt bigger.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
February 28, 2016, 01:53:41 AM
really gonna spend time in this thread. we are going solar soonish (well we hope anyway), all ground mount, and have room for a lot of panels.

Wow, how about you sir where are you located exactly. Are you going for a bigger setup?
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
February 27, 2016, 08:35:44 AM
really gonna spend time in this thread. we are going solar soonish (well we hope anyway), all ground mount, and have room for a lot of panels.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
February 26, 2016, 04:43:37 PM
Enjoying the progress...  Drool.....
Too bad the weather doesn't permit this every where in the U.S. to make it worth it.
What is worth it.... The inevitable move!

Look forward for more.

yeah actually NJ is fairly sunny which helps.  But the real key is if the state you are in gives good incentives. We are a good state that way.

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
February 26, 2016, 04:16:39 PM
Enjoying the progress...  Drool.....
Too bad the weather doesn't permit this every where in the U.S. to make it worth it.
What is worth it.... The inevitable move!

Look forward for more.
legendary
February 26, 2016, 10:47:16 AM
that looks really good sofar guys cant wait to see a finished version

Hoping to do some more photos on tues.

I have some avalon6's due to my home today. Will test them and get ready to bring to buysolar's place.
Activity: 735
Merit: 500
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
February 26, 2016, 01:15:14 AM
that looks really good sofar guys cant wait to see a finished version
legendary
February 26, 2016, 01:01:16 AM
The array style I went with can be converted to a tracking system. As it is currently installed, it can be adjusted seasonally to maximize the yield. I have 4 preset tilt angles built into the array, 10degrees, 20degrees, 30degrees and 40degrees. The issue with solar tracking systems is the extra expense. Trackers cost more per watt than solar panels do. If you're tight for space then spending the extra money on trackers could be appropriate. But at the present time, you get more yield for less expense by buying more solar panels if you have the space for them. If the cost of tracker to solar panels changes in the future I'll consider it again.
My analysis is based on a large number of factors, that are not the same for every project. So just because there is no way to justify the cost of a solar tracker on this project, does not mean that projects do not exist which trackers would be appropriate for.

this photo shows slots to adjust tilt angle.

so 1 row has 8 posts or so

four rows = 32 posts may take a bit of time but only need to do it 4 times a year.

Activity: 125
Merit: 12
February 26, 2016, 12:48:14 AM
maybe he will post info about pros and cons of suntracking.

I know he will do what is best when the time comes.

The array style I went with can be converted to a tracking system. As it is currently installed, it can be adjusted seasonally to maximize the yield. I have 4 preset tilt angles built into the array, 10degrees, 20degrees, 30degrees and 40degrees. The issue with solar tracking systems is the extra expense. Trackers cost more per watt than solar panels do. If you're tight for space then spending the extra money on trackers could be appropriate. But at the present time, you get more yield for less expense by buying more solar panels if you have the space for them. If the cost of tracker to solar panels changes in the future I'll consider it again.
My analysis is based on a large number of factors, that are not the same for every project. So just because there is no way to justify the cost of a solar tracker on this project, does not mean that projects do not exist which trackers would be appropriate for.
legendary
February 24, 2016, 01:50:57 AM
Considering you're not running a motor continuously, just doing adjustments, it should not take much energy to do the couple of adjustment during the day. Worse case scenario, you could always do it with a crank, but i can't really imagine saving the power and doing it manually is really worth the effort.

maybe he will post info about pros and cons of suntracking.

I know he will do what is best when the time comes.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
February 24, 2016, 01:44:06 AM
buysolar has told me he may add sun tracker in the summer.  

we want to be sure all other things are working well.

Considering you're not running a motor continuously, just doing adjustments, it should not take much energy to do the couple of adjustment during the day. Worse case scenario, you could always do it with a crank, but i can't really imagine saving the power and doing it manually is really worth the effort.
legendary
February 24, 2016, 12:17:29 AM
don't see why it would eat much power. Just google 'solar tracker add DIY to that and you will fnd dozens of ways to do it. Simplest is 2 photo cells with a diffuse image of the sun shining them feeding a comparator. When image is centered between the cells the comp is in balance and motors are off. If the image favors 1 cell or the other the motor is powered on to move the right way to center the image. All in all depending what you set the in-balance window to, very little power is expended. The at-dusk/nighttime rewind to morning position is just as easy.

buysolar has told me he may add sun tracker in the summer.  

we want to be sure all other things are working well.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
February 23, 2016, 11:10:36 PM
I need to find the video of it, but I remember that a university evaluated the difference between static panel vs rotating panel and they determined that the power to rotate the panel is bigger than the power you get from doing it. So not sure if you should go that way.

Will try to find the video.  Wink
don't see why it would eat much power. Just google 'solar tracker add DIY to that and you will fnd dozens of ways to do it. Simplest is 2 photo cells with a diffuse image of the sun shining them feeding a comparator. When image is centered between the cells the comp is in balance and motors are off. If the image favors 1 cell or the other the motor is powered on to move the right way to center the image. All in all depending what you set the in-balance window to, very little power is expended. The at-dusk/nighttime rewind to morning position is just as easy.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
February 23, 2016, 10:54:26 PM
I need to find the video of it, but I remember that a university evaluated the difference between static panel vs rotating panel and they determined that the power to rotate the panel is bigger than the power you get from doing it. So not sure if you should go that way.

Will try to find the video.  Wink
legendary
February 22, 2016, 11:54:54 AM
definitely a very nice set up keep the pics/info coming will be nice to see when its all up and running and what the farm ends up looking like.

do the panels auto rotate with the sun or are they static?

He may do this  later but for now no.

We will be moving avalon6's out of my garage this week.

I hope that I can have a few photos showing the avalon6's installed by the end of the week.

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
February 22, 2016, 12:04:26 AM
definitely a very nice set up keep the pics/info coming will be nice to see when its all up and running and what the farm ends up looking like.

do the panels auto rotate with the sun or are they static?
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
February 21, 2016, 09:23:49 PM
First time poster.
Have read this thread closely and would like to know your total AC kW output or your DC kW input that will be installed with this new system?
Also will the new system be tied to the existing system? Whats the size of existing system that generated the 43870kW since mid 2013? I'm guessing 10kW AC.
legendary
February 21, 2016, 06:57:46 PM
I financed the whole thing (with low interest financing) so ROI is immediate. I actually am cash flow positive from day 1 with this size system using a 10yr low interest loan.

Not bad.  I will keep an eye out for avalon6's and s-7's on resales,but I really hope to get  some bitfuries.
Activity: 125
Merit: 12
February 21, 2016, 06:55:12 PM
Thanks for putting together such a good list on price.  What do you calculate on time to ROI  on your setup?

It's super impressive just curious with you being a expert in the area what your time is till it's paid off from usage.

I financed the whole thing (with low interest financing) so ROI is immediate. I actually am cash flow positive from day 1 with this size system using a 10yr low interest loan.
Pages:
Jump to: