Pages:
Author

Topic: Solar powered CPU mining - page 2. (Read 7429 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
September 29, 2017, 12:56:04 PM
You may want to look into Solarcoin.

As I understand it, it's "mined" by producing solar power.  I've never looked too far into it, but it may interest you.

Additionally, if you want an easy answer to this question, just fire up any mining calculator (Google has several) and set the "power cost" field to 0, using your hashrate / etc.

A staking wallet, run on a cellphone powered by a small solar panel would effectively be "free" coins, not accounting for whatever your Internet access costs may be.
Activity: 1680
Merit: 845
September 29, 2017, 12:18:15 PM
Altcoin mining is not dead at all, your power consuption and electricity costs are up to you and the country you reside. However, if you are going to mine anyway, do not even bother with CPU mining, it's not profitable anymore, for years now, if you are planning to invest in solar panels, use GPUs or ASICs miners, which do have a higher consumption costs.

Although, you would have to think and plan your investment, do you think it's worth spending all this money for solar panels? Unless you already own them, the ROI to have solar powered mining rigs will be low and probably will take many months or even years to achieve. I would stick to normal GPU mining if I were you, unless the electricity costs are too high and prohibit that.
Activity: 837
Merit: 500
September 29, 2017, 11:32:37 AM
CPU mining is bad; they're not that well suited for hashing as GPUs, their cost is too much in comparison to their hashing speeds and you can't scale them (1 PC = 1 CPU, maybe 2).

Yes CPUs are just too expensive, and require lots of space (1mobo per CPU). or if you get one of those server mobo, which are like >600$ you might get 4 on one board.

Personally i wouldnt do it

Besides from it is expensive. The hashrate and the duration of usage of cpu is too short compared to GPU. I already try that using the workstation computer in my office. Intel xeon cpu. But it only gave me a penny for almost a day of mining using minergate app.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
September 29, 2017, 02:35:41 AM
I don't see the point of a dedicated solar system for mining. Solar is just one power source and mining is just one
power load. Why not connect the solar to the house power as a hybrid system where you can use solar for everything
when it's available and commercial power when not. This would avoid imbalances in power availability and load.
A dedicated solar mining system would either have excess load leaving some mining HW without power or
too much power that can't be absorbed by the mining HW and would have to be bled off and wasted. A hybrid system\
would ensure all the mining HW is mining all the time.
Using GRID-TIE and exporting your excess electricity in to the grid just like joblo said and of course no need for battery since it will make your cost double. What you need is inverter that greater from your current need since you just can add more solar panel later (if you got small budget).
Yeah, especially that requlations in EU country can be funny ( In my country, we have to PAY to grid owner tax for sending him our produced electricity and they act as Vault of Energy, taking additional 20% of it for free - not good option :x )

in the US the Electric Company pays us for any thing we make and don't use Smiley . but some solar company's if you rent there panels will charge you for what you don't use in the US i found that kind of stupid, so I stayed a way form them sense most of the ones i looked at lets us keep anything left over an auto sells it to the to the Electric Company by law they  have to take it and pay us but we have to stay on the Grind in my state .

some states in the US  are trying what you deal with in the EU but it won't pass . mostly the Republican states .
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
September 29, 2017, 02:32:11 AM
I don't see the point of a dedicated solar system for mining. Solar is just one power source and mining is just one
power load. Why not connect the solar to the house power as a hybrid system where you can use solar for everything
when it's available and commercial power when not. This would avoid imbalances in power availability and load.
A dedicated solar mining system would either have excess load leaving some mining HW without power or
too much power that can't be absorbed by the mining HW and would have to be bled off and wasted. A hybrid system\
Using GRID-TIE and exporting your excess electricity in to the grid just like joblo said and of course no need for battery since it will make your cost double. What you need is inverter that greater from your current need since you just can add more solar panel later (if you got small budget).
Yeah, especially that requlations in EU country can be funny ( In my country, we have to PAY to grid owner tax for sending him our produced electricity and they act as Vault of Energy, taking additional 20% of it for free - not good option :x )
Activity: 215
September 28, 2017, 09:53:01 PM
Activity: 196
September 28, 2017, 09:10:43 PM
CPU mining is bad; they're not that well suited for hashing as GPUs, their cost is too much in comparison to their hashing speeds and you can't scale them (1 PC = 1 CPU, maybe 2).

Yes CPUs are just too expensive, and require lots of space (1mobo per CPU). or if you get one of those server mobo, which are like >600$ you might get 4 on one board.

Personally i wouldnt do it
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114
September 28, 2017, 08:53:19 PM
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
September 28, 2017, 07:56:07 PM
Some kind of battery and regulator is needed. Nothing to run that thing overnight but something to just keep it alive.

Batteries are still really expensive and they do max 6 years.

Mining hardware likes 12volts. It is possible.
Activity: 135
September 28, 2017, 07:30:28 PM
We have solar on our house for a few years now and trust me when i say that you need to take under consideration many things.

In my opinion it could be viable if you managed to plan on doing it without batteries (will dramatically cut down costs as well as performance) but it also depends on what you're going to mine. If you forget about batteries and only run it during the day (no need to store power), you will get the invested money back much faster.

It will be a real pain in the ass to optimize your setup and make it efficient though.

That really isn't possible.  You can't run anything off just panels, you need some kind of battery.  Solar moves up and down just like mining.  It is different every second.  On a 12v panel you could be getting 18v in full sun, a cloud goes buy and it could drop to 11.  This goes through an inverter which changes it to usable AC current.  Your inverter would be cutting off all the time (they have low voltage warnings).  This is where a battery comes in.  It stores the energy so the volts are constant and steady.  Yes, you can set up a bank of batteries and run your inverter at night time without the panels, but you have to have a battery just to keep things from spiking high and low.  If you have your panels hooked up to your house, the AC from the power company does this and takes the place of the batteries.  

The reason I haven't run a rig off solar is that it may run me 1500.00-2000.00 to get 800-1000 watts consistently.  Because it would take YEARS to ROI vs just paying for .12 electric, I haven't considered it (but have done the pricing and math.  Sometimes it is not worth adding to the ROI on the rig.  You have to sometimes just sit down and just try to make money.  

What I am working on is running laptops to mine.  I have 5-6 laptops sitting around (bought at gov auctions for 20-30.00) that can be charged by solar panels that cost very little.  No batteries, no inverter, the panels put out DC and the batteries take DC.  As I progress I'll start a thread.
legendary
September 28, 2017, 06:59:20 PM
Sorry guys.
Activity: 615
Merit: 502
September 28, 2017, 06:21:28 PM
Yes it does, my brother in law is running his masternodes with his solar installation.   
You don't need solar power to run blaablaanode. MOST of the time you only need static ip.

I know, but I want to have solar power backup for my home data center .. My blaablaanode's have paid for it Grin
legendary
September 28, 2017, 05:58:16 PM
Yes it does, my brother in law is running his masternodes with his solar installation.   

You don't need solar power to run blaablaanode. MOST of the time you only need static ip.

Activity: 238
Merit: 12
September 28, 2017, 05:52:51 PM
I reckon just stick to masternode coins, way cheaper and better ROI Smiley
September 28, 2017, 05:44:46 PM
masternodeblaablaablaa

True, as long as you can find that greater fool. Solar power has nothing to do with it.

Yes it does, my brother in law is running his masternodes with his solar installation. And I've bought some panels as well which I'll set up this summer.   

But whats wrong with masternode coins?  They have this intrinsic value property that other coins don't have.  If you know a better way to increase your crypto supply I'd be keen to try it out.

legendary
September 28, 2017, 05:33:46 PM
masternodeblaablaablaa

True, as long as you can find that greater fool. Solar power has nothing to do with it.

September 28, 2017, 05:01:37 PM
I used to mine bitcoin a lot.  Now I've got a garage of dusty mining gear, and have gone all in on Masternode coins.  Beats mining hands down!  No gear to buy, no extra power to pay for.

Here is some background info: https://www.investitin.com/masternode/  

and a new site that has launched that compares these coins is: https://masternodes.pro/

I use XenServer and host several nodes on a single PC. The cost of running 1 node is about the same as running 50 (yes, maybe one day  Wink ) , and the profit potential is pretty ridiculous if you diversify into a few of these coins.

So with this setup it is definitely possible to  run a solar powered mining op because you might need max 250W to run a reasonably specced PC with lots of RAM.
legendary
September 28, 2017, 04:46:05 PM
One day i wanna have a house and a little river nearby to play with such stuff   Cool

This is what I'm dreaming about. Add some wind, solar, fiber and brown trout.

Activity: 280
September 28, 2017, 04:18:57 PM
If you live in a very sunny place it would be a cool fun project for sure.
There are places where you can melt nails with a frensel-lens of an old rear-projector.
And a lot places where you do not have so many sunny hours/year.
If you are a tinker you could build some kind of storage-system where water is pumped up and released in a tiny turbine at night.
That is what switzerland does- they pump up water in a dam when power is cheap and release it to generate power when they can sell it at high prices.

One day i wanna have a house and a little river nearby to play with such stuff   Cool
legendary
September 28, 2017, 03:20:38 PM
We have solar on our house for a few years now and trust me when i say that you need to take under consideration many things.

In my opinion it could be viable if you managed to plan on doing it without batteries (will dramatically cut down costs as well as performance) but it also depends on what you're going to mine. If you forget about batteries and only run it during the day (no need to store power), you will get the invested money back much faster.

It will be a real pain in the ass to optimize your setup and make it efficient though.

gorenje knows the facts, batteries kill all the profits, I still don't understand how that teslaguy can run his business.

I have used solar power for almost 20 years now and first started to play with the idea of solar-only mining when nvidia maxwell's (750ti) came out, never made any prototypes but the idea itself is fascinating.

System would need sun and internet connection, the most power efficient hardware (hash/watt) you can find, it would have to know how to boot on power.

Obviously that wouldn't be a goldmine but when hardware is getting more efficient we are getting closer to the point where it could actually work. 20 cents/ day is a lot of money in some parts of the world.

OT:

Looking at this section of bct there is an inevitable everlasting bullmarket ahead of us. In theory, would it be possible that every human (and their pets) in this planet just started their own farms and we would never ever need to do anything again? Washing machines, microwaves, toasters would have asics integrated? Most of this shit is going to the moon, we could start remote farms there, plenty of solarpower available. Would that work?

(:

Pages:
Jump to: