Pages:
Author

Topic: Solar Roadways... - page 3. (Read 4471 times)

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000
June 09, 2014, 01:07:54 AM
as Ron said there is the disposal issue while with wind turbines there is not

The disposal issue is a minor one. The technology has advanced very much these days, and it requires just around 100 sq. km of barren land to contain the entire nuclear waste generated in this earth for a 100-year time period.

Nuke power then put it on a one way rocket to the sun every 50 years or so...
Activity: 1493
Merit: 763
Life is a taxable event
June 09, 2014, 12:59:20 AM

The disposal issue is a minor one. The technology has advanced very much these days, and it requires just around 100 sq. km of barren land to contain the entire nuclear waste generated in this earth for a 100-year time period.

How come Big Coal doesn't just take over nuclear and enjoy a more profitable revenue stream? yes their old market might be cannabalized but I just don't understand...is it to milk what they can over their investment in coal lobbying before doing so?  Huh

Nuclear is really expensive and difficult to start.

A factory takes a long time to become operational, and starting up a nuclear factory takes months even after completion until the reaction reaches a good level.

It's also a regulatory nightmare and there is always the difficulty of finding the right people to run a nuclear factory. It's not like you can find them with a job search on craigslist overnight.

Plus your dealing with something that poops out potential bomb grade plutonium, not something you do without the government fondling your privates.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
June 09, 2014, 12:48:52 AM

How come Big Coal doesn't just take over nuclear and enjoy a more profitable revenue stream? yes their old market might be cannabalized but I just don't understand...is it to milk what they can over their investment in coal lobbying before doing so?  Huh
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
June 09, 2014, 12:39:39 AM

"Solar panels that you can drive, park, and walk on. They melt snow and... cut greenhouse gases by 75-percent?!!!"

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways#home

Very bad idea. This will be much more expensive then using cement as is used now.

If this was really a profitable venture then they could simply build a little bit of "solar roadways" then use the money generated by electricity to build more roads.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
June 08, 2014, 11:58:51 PM

Activity: 434
June 08, 2014, 08:47:47 PM
sheesh, 2 million... some people just wanna donate without vetting and thinking where their money goes. i already have enough trouble donating to "children in need" for fear that it's some sort of scam.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
Activity: 223
Merit: 100
June 06, 2014, 02:43:56 PM
It's innovative, but I predict blackouts during rush hour.  Roll Eyes
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
June 05, 2014, 03:48:51 PM
wind turbines don't pollute, hydro power doesn't either (altough there are some negative effects), let's stick to wind Cheesy
nuclear power plants are enviromentally friendly, am I missing something?

I am not a big supporter of hydro-power. Hydropower generation requires large dams and reservoirs, which flood millions of acres of forest land, adn there by disrupting the original ecology.

IMO, nuclear power plants are environmentally friendly. With the advancement of technology, new methods for the waste disposal are being developed.

legendary
June 03, 2014, 11:16:02 PM
wind turbines don't pollute, hydro power doesn't either (altough there are some negative effects), let's stick to wind Cheesy

I am not a big supporter of hydro-power. Hydropower generation requires large dams and reservoirs, which flood millions of acres of forest land, adn there by disrupting the original ecology.

IMO, nuclear power plants are environmentally friendly. With the advancement of technology, new methods for the waste disposal are being developed.
Activity: 406
June 03, 2014, 07:02:08 PM
Slightly off-topic...  but everyone should read this before supporting any form of solar energy.

sometimes it's not just about cost. sometimes it's about the rising climate and how it affects the planet we live on. that's actually much more important than making people extremely rich. at least to me.

sometimes it's not just about cost. sometimes it's about the rising climate and how it affects the planet we live on. that's actually much more important than making people extremely rich. at least to me.
Wind energy is about 3 times cheaper when compared to solar energy.

your graph says 2x Cheesy

You should really add a graph with nuclear power also

I wanted to add one, but couldn't get any. Anyway.. thanks for posting the graph.

This is exactly why I prefer nuclear power plants. They are:

1. Environmentally friendly (no Greenhouse gas emissions, no coal mining and destruction of the terrain.etc).
2. They are affordable. (I have seen people posting here that they won't mind paying $0.25 per KWh, but trust me, most of the world population wouldn't be able to afford electricity at such rates).
3. There are enough Uranium deposits to provide electricity for everyone in this world for more than a thousand years, unlike coal or gas.

We need to solve the waste disposal problem for sure but other than that it is actually very cheap green energy. Technology and smart people will solve the disposal issue if governments get out of the way. 
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
June 03, 2014, 05:11:17 PM
Slightly off-topic...  but everyone should read this before supporting any form of solar energy.

Wind energy is about 3 times cheaper when compared to solar energy.

your graph says 2x Cheesy

I wanted to add one, but couldn't get any. Anyway.. thanks for posting the graph.

1. Environmentally friendly (no Greenhouse gas emissions, no coal mining and destruction of the terrain.etc).
2. They are affordable. (I have seen people posting here that they won't mind paying $0.25 per KWh, but trust me, most of the world population wouldn't be able to afford electricity at such rates).
3. There are enough Uranium deposits to provide electricity for everyone in this world for more than a thousand years, unlike coal or gas.

Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust
June 03, 2014, 03:00:21 PM
With the amount spent on solar and wind equipment we could have developed by now a fusion plant with deuterium as a energy source that would wipe away the fears of nuclear waste or accidents.

Have to disagree with you on that. A large number of nuclear fission reactors are operating in the world right now, but nuclear fusion is a bit more complicated. So far no one has come up with a viable methodology to produce electricity cheaply from nuclear fusion. The current fusion reactors exist only for demo purposes.

If all the money that as poured into solar and wind energy would have gone to development on nuclear fusion things would have improved a lot.

But of course there are lots of people not so happy about plants producing solar panels shutting down.
legendary
June 03, 2014, 12:43:27 PM
With the amount spent on solar and wind equipment we could have developed by now a fusion plant with deuterium as a energy source that would wipe away the fears of nuclear waste or accidents.

Have to disagree with you on that. A large number of nuclear fission reactors are operating in the world right now, but nuclear fusion is a bit more complicated. So far no one has come up with a viable methodology to produce electricity cheaply from nuclear fusion. The current fusion reactors exist only for demo purposes.
legendary
Activity: 868
ADT developer
June 03, 2014, 12:36:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power would be a be a better place to spend money
Activity: 798
June 03, 2014, 12:00:50 PM

True. Except I heard that some of the same environmentalists that push solar and wind also despise nuclear energy. Paid by energy companies much?
in defi we trust
June 03, 2014, 10:53:56 AM
When we talk about nuclear energy we should also remeber that there are two types fusion or fission,

legendary
June 03, 2014, 10:47:43 AM

in defi we trust
June 03, 2014, 10:18:33 AM
Slightly off-topic...  but everyone should read this before supporting any form of solar energy.

Solar energy it's just a new hype , let's be the jetson family , nothing more.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=619852.20
Topic: Solar Freak'n Panel Roadways!!!! Awesome Indiegogo Project, LETS SUPPORT IT!!
legendary
amarha
June 03, 2014, 07:41:34 AM
Is the one of the most vaporware ideas ever to grace our planet.

One might say it's the vapouriest vapor to ever vape.

No government municipal, state or federal would ever invest in such an expensive project. The use cases that roads go through are insane and just maintaining asphalt is a ton of work.
Pages:
Jump to: