Pages:
Author

Topic: Sold my truck for bitcoins - page 2. (Read 2602 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
February 15, 2013, 03:10:48 PM
Ok, it is not all that spectacular since I am selling my truck to my mother but...

I told her that if she is going to buy it she has to pay me in bitcoins.

This is mainly to help her learn how to convert her dollars to bitcoins to help her get her feet wet.

Plus the usefulness of Bitcoin comes into play here. I will be out of the country with no access to a bank. She cannot send me a check. She would have to either go to my bank and deposit into my account or attempt some sort of wire transfer or come up with some other difficult way to pay me (or expensive using PayPal).

why how does your mom have bitcoin?
Are you making her buy the coins off mtgox and then she can buy your car with it
this is your MOM, why! why, would you do this to her Huh

I could care less if other people use Bitcoin. They will eventually, it is just a matter of when will the technology make it as simple as paypal to switch over. Until then, I am content in buying Bitcoin cheap while it still takes a bit of effort to get set up initially.

But I care about my family and want them to benefit as well. If I can show my mom how to get Bitcoin so that after that initial transaction she knows how to easily transfer money from her bank account, then she will be able to do so at her leisure from then on and enjoy the benefits that come along with it.

She used to not understand text messaging on her cell phone (she called it a "tex mex"). Now she is on her iPhone almost constantly.

if you want your family to benefit as well, give them a COIN or two... OR  buy their car with bitcoin!  don't make then spend their bitcoin  Tongue

I'd take her dollars and convert them to bitcoin myself if it was my mom...
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
February 15, 2013, 02:32:08 PM
Ok, it is not all that spectacular since I am selling my truck to my mother but...

This is mainly to help her learn how to convert her dollars to bitcoins to help her get her feet wet.

Plus the usefulness of Bitcoin comes into play here. I will be out of the country with no access to a bank. She cannot send me a check. She would have to either go to my bank and deposit into my account or attempt some sort of wire transfer or come up with some other difficult way to pay me (or expensive using PayPal).

Are you making her buy the coins off mtgox and then she can buy your car with it

I could care less if other people use Bitcoin. They will eventually, it is just a matter of when will the technology make it as simple as paypal to switch over. Until then, I am content in buying Bitcoin cheap while it still takes a bit of effort to get set up initially.

But I care about my family and want them to benefit as well. If I can show my mom how to get Bitcoin so that after that initial transaction she knows how to easily transfer money from her bank account, then she will be able to do so at her leisure from then on and enjoy the benefits that come along with it.

She used to not understand text messaging on her cell phone (she called it a "tex mex"). Now she is on her iPhone almost constantly.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
February 15, 2013, 01:31:33 PM

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
February 15, 2013, 01:21:49 PM
Have fun explaining this to your mom when MtGox gets "hacked" and her passport and personal information are all over the internet.

If you're having trouble with Bitcoin's Paypal, try Bitstamp.net
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
February 15, 2013, 01:19:42 PM
Your mother spent money and time raising you and you made her buy your truck Sad What a terrible son you must be! Tongue

Well, actually I was just going to drop it off at CarMax and get a check but she wanted it. I told her she could just have it but she insists on paying for it.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
February 15, 2013, 01:07:42 PM
Your mother spent money and time raising you and you made her buy your truck Sad What a terrible son you must be! Tongue
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
February 15, 2013, 12:29:49 AM
much anger there, eh Gestas? Tongue

As for OP, good on you, hope your mother takes to it!
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
February 15, 2013, 12:23:42 AM
Have fun explaining this to your mom when MtGox gets "hacked" and her passport and personal information are all over the internet.

P.S. a Bank deposit would be much simpler but I guess you need to teach your poor mom a lesson instead of being grateful that she is doing you a favor.

Not when the closest branch for my bank is hundreds of miles away from where she lives.
Wire transfer is still incredibly easy compared to having to bathe in the blood of a virgin and give all your personal info to use MtGox.

Oh well though, maybe I could interest your mother in my investment fund? 15% interest per week!!
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
February 15, 2013, 12:22:32 AM

P.S. a Bank deposit would be much simpler but I guess you need to teach your poor mom a lesson instead of being grateful that she is doing you a favor.

Not when the closest branch for my bank is hundreds of miles away from where she lives.
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
February 15, 2013, 12:19:02 AM

legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
February 15, 2013, 12:09:45 AM

Pages:
Jump to: