Pages:
Author

Topic: Solve a riddle, guess a 4 char password and add 10 BTC to your xmas... SOLVED!! - page 7. (Read 13586 times)

Activity: 226
Merit: 100
You can send it to 1GAtPwoTGPQ35y9QugJueum5GzaEzLYjiQ

All winnings will be passed on to a followup contest! It might take a while, but there will be one!

On it's way:

http://blockchain.info/tx/003a4b9ee67639a08c28b9c183ab36f3b2fc192aeac84d9bd8cc29684f6f094e

I have a much better bash script that I am including with a custom Open SUSE distro (which I am still putting together) - that will be a hell of a lot more challenging than this to crack (the point being similar to Mike Caldwell's one that you don't need to remember a huge password to get good security).

Smiley

Thank you very much! You will be in the list of sources of the price for my upcoming challenge!

Could you please direct me to Mike Caldwell's statements? With a (light but still) background in information theory I'm rather skeptical to this statement. Entropy is a b-tch   Cool
Activity: 293
Merit: 250
Oh really - then why hasn't this been cracked already?

First of all, you're implying that just because we haven't cracked it in 10 hours then it will never be cracked.

Secondly, we don't know the exact implementation of your key derivation function.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
This is security by obscurity though. Once they know about your implementation it will be easily cracked.

Oh really - then why hasn't this been cracked already?

(the script in the OP is a simplified version of the one I will publish - btw you cannot run the script I will publish without first modifying it in order to hopefully stop someone being silly enough to run it without first modifying it as I modified the one being tested here)

If I can modify one line of a script and use a 4 letter password that no-one here has been able to crack already then I think that speaks for itself.

Smiley
I have a much better bash script that I am including with a custom Open SUSE distro (which I am still putting together) - that will be a hell of a lot more challenging than this to crack (the point being similar to Mike Caldwell's one that you don't need to remember a huge password to get good security).

Smiley

This is security by obscurity though. Once they know about your implementation it will be easily cracked.

Why not use a well scrutinized key derivation function and run 10 million iterations of it?

yes, for opencl u have to change this
Code:
typedef struct {
        uint8_t length;
        uint8_t v[24];
} gpg_password;
change the 24 to 64 in both files (current folder and opencl).
now its working Smiley

Looks good!
I would still defiantly try that using a key with known password to make sure it really works Smiley
legendary

All winnings will be passed on to a followup contest! It might take a while, but there will be one!

On it's way:

http://blockchain.info/tx/003a4b9ee67639a08c28b9c183ab36f3b2fc192aeac84d9bd8cc29684f6f094e

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null

this hurts... who is so retarded and sets this?
Code:
#define PLAINTEXT_LENGTH    32

Hehe. I bet they thought "noone is retared enough to try to brute force more than 32 chars anyway" when they set it Cheesy

As for the open-cl version they seem to have a more legit reason. Probably more restricted data types and more clever packing of data in there to get nice performance.

yes, for opencl u have to change this
Code:
typedef struct {
        uint8_t length;
        uint8_t v[24];
} gpg_password;
change the 24 to 64 in both files (current folder and opencl).
now its working Smiley
Code:
guesses: 0  time: 0:00:00:36 DONE (Wed Dec 26 12:44:56 2012)  c/s: 409200  trying: 7277b9b8b5034fc4e715be0e9e61bf3aac30cce46396a30b5272d89e19418a61 - eea8eca3d1525375b2091f1760ae69e
eea8eca3d1525375b2091f1760ae69e <-- last hash in wordlist which is a bug but dosnt matter. (bug fixed, forgot to fsync it)
How are the rest of you going - want that hint earlier or happy to wait till until confirmation # 200?

Whatever you decide let us know now.

I am also throwing in the towel after 210 or so tries. Been running it since yesterday on a 16 core Xeon.
I tested all passwords for 9 different key derivations before throwing in the towel.

Sorry to hear that but as you have been very helpful with this I will be sending you 1 BTC anyway (let me know what address to send to either here in a PM if you prefer).

How are the rest of you going - want that hint earlier or happy to wait till until confirmation # 200?

Thanks!

legendary
/dev/null
I tested all passwords for 9 different key derivations before throwing in the towel.

Sorry to hear that but as you have been very helpful with this I will be sending you 1 BTC anyway (let me know what address to send to either here in a PM if you prefer).

i got 7 so far, still got the wordlists Smiley
waiting seems fine, i need to sleep too, my body is still human Tongue

Code:

Hehe. I bet they thought "noone is retared enough to try to brute force more than 32 chars anyway" when they set it Cheesy

As for the open-cl version they seem to have a more legit reason. Probably more restricted data types and more clever packing of data in there to get nice performance.
legendary

Not sure if you guys have already been doing this but if some basic stats (such as the total # of attempts each of you have tried) could be published then I think that would be very useful (after it has been cracked of course and perhaps only by the winner).

legendary
/dev/null
how did you fix this? google results are unrelated to this problem (or atleast all i have read so far).
good that i dont delete my wordlists so afterwards i can just recheck...

Google is usually good, but sometimes one need to just have a look at the source code. You'll find the gpg plugin implemented in src/gpg_fmt_plug.c

I'm sure you will find the length defined there!
Code:
recompiling with 64.
edit opencl_gpg_fmt_plug.c too! (defaults to 15, wtf?)
compiling done:
Code:
guesses: 0  time: 0:00:00:35 DONE (Wed Dec 26 12:31:23 2012)  c/s: 411250  trying: 7277b9b8b5034fc4e715be0e@a785a10e4399ab30ec56aee3@f30430753b6537 - eea8eca3d1525375b2091f1760ae69e
now the opencl stuff is crap (see the @).

python stuff:
Code:
$ python --version
Python 2.6.5
my guess: faster hashing/loops in 2.7 compared to 2.6.
A general recommendation when writing brute force scripts is to try it on something you know the password to!

In this case, create a gpg key with a password using your own 4 letter password run through the key derivation and check that you actually find the key!

I myself tend to always screw up at least some small detail. Testing is crucial if you don't want to wast all those cpu-hours Smiley
Not sure if you guys have already been doing this but if some basic stats (such as the total # of attempts each of you have tried) could be published then I think that would be very useful (after it has been cracked of course).
200+ salt variations tested.

Kill me now.

I've been running this since yesterday. Been aware of the echo newline injection and the JTR limitation from the get go.
legendary
Not sure if you guys have already been doing this but if some basic stats (such as the total # of attempts each of you have tried) could be published then I think that would be very useful (after it has been cracked of course and perhaps only by the winner).
Has anyone tried to use c to create the dictionary?
i do it in java with JNI mixed.
What's your speed? It would take me something like 1 day to write the 14 million combinations there are...
2 seconds to create the wordlist (4 chars)
17 seconds to create all sha256 sums
1.5 seconds to write it down to disk (916MB)

Feel free to benchmark the python version on your überclocked machine with blazing fast SSD!
i dont have SSD, dislike to loose my data so fast, the reason why it writes so fast is simply the ext4 cache/buffer.
Code:
real	1m39.336s
user 1m38.058s
sys 0m0.868s
altough this test dosnt seem to be a good benchmark since there are several daemons/VM running.

which python version, pypy or python?

Code:
$ python --version
Python 2.7.3

how did you fix this? google results are unrelated to this problem (or atleast all i have read so far).
good that i dont delete my wordlists so afterwards i can just recheck...

Google is usually good, but sometimes one need to just have a look at the source code. You'll find the gpg plugin implemented in src/gpg_fmt_plug.c

I'm sure you will find the length defined there!
legendary
/dev/null
Has anyone tried to use c to create the dictionary?
i do it in java with JNI mixed.
What's your speed? It would take me something like 1 day to write the 14 million combinations there are...
2 seconds to create the wordlist (4 chars)
17 seconds to create all sha256 sums
1.5 seconds to write it down to disk (916MB)

Feel free to benchmark the python version on your überclocked machine with blazing fast SSD!
i dont have SSD, dislike to loose my data so fast, the reason why it writes so fast is simply the ext4 cache/buffer.
Code:
real	1m39.336s
user 1m38.058s
sys 0m0.868s
altough this test dosnt seem to be a good benchmark since there are several daemons/VM running.

which python version, pypy or python?
Pages:
Jump to: