Pages:
Author

Topic: SOLVED [Bitcoins.lc] Issue with invalid shares (10 BTC bounty) - page 2. (Read 16718 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I'm planning to keep that to me self, due to i think the other pools based on pushpoold will eventually face the same problem.
This issue costed the pool/me personally 10 BTC + a whole day of hard work with debugging, tcpdump and ~10 people that tried in all ways to help us.

If I'm about to release this, the pool need something in return.
We'll see if this is just an isolated issue with our pool, or if anyone else will face the same problem.
I agree with you
Activity: 731
Merit: 503
Libertas a calumnia
The server is up but the pool is down now...
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
Kupo!
another server attack ?
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Server is down no website, connection problems mining.

D:
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Server is down no website, connection problems mining.
Activity: 797
Merit: 1017
If there's a bug with pushpool (which is what it sounded like from IRC) then you should let it be known. The developer of that was good enough to let you use it freely... share the love.

edit: Also it'll save me a weekend of serious debugging. If I track it down myself I won't be keeping secrets!

+1

If it's about pushpool, then you should tell them.
Activity: 403
Merit: 250
I'm planning to keep that to me self, due to i think the other pools based on pushpoold will eventually face the same problem.
This issue costed the pool/me personally 10 BTC + a whole day of hard work with debugging, tcpdump and ~10 people that tried in all ways to help us.

If I'm about to release this, the pool need something in return.
We'll see if this is just an isolated issue with our pool, or if anyone else will face the same problem.
Activity: 222
Merit: 12
What was the problem?
We finally solved our issue with rejected shares!
Credits to ius over at #bitcoins.lc for helping us out.

His account was just credited with 10 BTC ($270)
Thanks all for trying to help us! We really appreciate it!

If any other pool operator want to know what it is, please contact me and we can work something out...
Activity: 56
I'm chasing a hunch. If anyone currently using bitcoins.lc would like to compare results from disabling Long Polling vs. leaving LP on, I'd find it instructive.
#bitcoins.lc at irc.quakenet.org or use the webchat:
http://www.bitcoins.lc/chat

/ Jim
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1026
Where the hell is your IRC channel?  I've been lurking in what I thought was the channel all day and haven't seen a peep.
The bounty have not been claimed yet.
Still looking for a solution(!)

A few people over at our IRC-channel is working HARD to figure out the problem.

I think a packet sniffer would also tell us the answer to this, and wouldn't require a restart of anything?

We tcpdumped all bitcoind->pushpoold comminucation and founded 4 duplicate getwork's.
What we should do about it, or why it's that way - we don't know.
kjj
legendary
I think you are going to need to restart pushpoold with full logging on, and hope that you get enough information from the logs.

Right now, I can't tell if the problem is in get_work handing out the same work to many people, or if the problem is in check_hash (or hist_lookup) finding improper duplicates.  (both are in msg.c)

The answer is in the history elist, but I don't think there is any way to interrogate it while running.  Looks like the logs might show enough info.
What are the specs of the computer it's running on (including bandwidth), too little ram could potentially cause shares to not be accepted.

Enough for both DB and MySQL.

jine@bitcoins:~$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          2022       1372        649          0        105        611
-/+ buffers/cache:        655       1366
Swap:          234          4        230

Bandwidth is redundant 100mbit (200+200mbit full duplex)
CPU for main VM is 8 total cores of two Xeon E5504
Activity: 53
Worker's doing duplicated work.

See screenshot below.

It's from all workers, all over the pool.
Duplicated work, and we really can't figure out why or what to do about it.
I can see my IP Cheesy
kjj
legendary
Has nothing to do with the midstate.  The midstate is calculated on the first 512 bits, which is identical in the two examples given in IRC.  The difference is in the timestamps, which is in the second half and will not change the midstate at all.

Also, the extraNonce is in the generation transaction.  The mining client never sees it and can't change it.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
bitcoind isn't threaded AFAIK (yet)

Some more data:

14:56:31 <@jine> 28  133 total - SELECT * FROM `shares` WHERE `reason` = 'unknown-work'
14:56:54 <@jine> 193  114 total - SELECT *  FROM `shares` WHERE `reason` = 'stale'
14:57:40 <@jine> 239  898 total - SELECT * FROM `shares` WHERE `reason` = 'duplicate'
14:58:18 <@jine> 10  424  570 total - SELECT *  FROM `shares` WHERE `reason` IS NULL

SELECT * FROM shares WHERE solution ="*one of the duplicated solutions*"
Returns: http://jine.be/2

Example shares - query: SELECT * FROM `shares` WHERE `reason` IS NOT NULL LIMIT 465990 , 30
Returns: http://bitcoins.lc/_files/shares.csv

Jobbernowl:

No, but it only caches authentication AFAIK - not shares.

SomeoneWeird:

We were running stable of both versions before, when the problem started occouring.
Upgraded and restarted both pushpoold and bitcoind without any change.

What are the specs of the computer it's running on (including bandwidth), too little ram could potentially cause shares to not be accepted.
bitcoind isn't threaded AFAIK (yet)

Some more data:

14:56:31 <@jine> 28  133 total - SELECT * FROM `shares` WHERE `reason` = 'unknown-work'
14:56:54 <@jine> 193  114 total - SELECT *  FROM `shares` WHERE `reason` = 'stale'
14:57:40 <@jine> 239  898 total - SELECT * FROM `shares` WHERE `reason` = 'duplicate'
14:58:18 <@jine> 10  424  570 total - SELECT *  FROM `shares` WHERE `reason` IS NULL

SELECT * FROM shares WHERE solution ="*one of the duplicated solutions*"
Returns: http://jine.be/2

Example shares - query: SELECT * FROM `shares` WHERE `reason` IS NOT NULL LIMIT 465990 , 30
Returns: http://bitcoins.lc/_files/shares.csv

Jobbernowl:

No, but it only caches authentication AFAIK - not shares.

SomeoneWeird:

We were running stable of both versions before, when the problem started occouring.
Upgraded and restarted both pushpoold and bitcoind without any change.

Activity: 222
Merit: 12
I might be completely wrong here, but it like there could be some threading issues with bitcoind when using long polling.

edit: Never mind, answered my own question, before the next one is sent to it... duh.
Pages:
Jump to: