Pages:
Author

Topic: [SOLVED] Do not upgrade Google Authenticator (iPhone), you will lose keys! - page 3. (Read 18545 times)

Activity: 74
Merit: 10
Ok google have put up a support page here:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3376859

And they suggest restoring from iCloud backup if you back up to it.  I tried the following and it worked for me:

Restore from an iCloud backup
On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Software Update. If a newer version of iOS is available, follow the onscreen instructions to download and install it.

Update your device to the latest version of iOS to make sure you can restore from a recent backup of another device, such as a lost or broken device.

Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap “Erase all content and settings.”

In the Setup Assistant, sign in to iCloud, tap “Restore from a Backup,” then choose from a list of your backups in iCloud.

The above was taken from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph12521

Hope this helps!
Activity: 633
Merit: 500
It's always a good idea to also backup secret key in case something happens to your phone, right?

I have all of them in a text file and zipped with 7z and passphrase.

I was able to restore back to v1 GA, but in case it wouldn't work, i would just enter secret keys again in v2 GA and "life is good" again.

I hope you guys make "GA secret key" backups too.

This is what I was getting at.  If every phone is different and all the GA's out there are different... then it isn't enough to merely backup the QR codes used to generate site specific tokens.  One must also have the token that GA uses in the first place, no?

Where does one find this?
Activity: 622
So this is fine on android?

It is working fine for me.  I have the latest version for android 2.49
donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
It's always a good idea to also backup secret key in case something happens to your phone, right?

I have all of them in a text file and zipped with 7z and passphrase.

I was able to restore back to v1 GA, but in case it wouldn't work, i would just enter secret keys again in v2 GA and "life is good" again.

I hope you guys make "GA secret key" backups too.
legendary
Activity: 977
Merit: 1000
So this is fine on android?
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Activity: 547
Decor in numeris
Let's assume that one has 2-factor set up for Bitstamp.  At the time it was set up, the QR code used to authenticate was saved and printed out.

Suppose I just throw my phone into a fire, switch carriers, phone numbers, etc..., and download a new Google Authenticator to my new phone.

Now, will my previously saved QR printout work?  Or is there something unique about each Google Authenticator app that should be backed up as well.

It should certainly work.  What you have done is what we should all do!  Save the QR code or write down the secret key (around 20 characters, easily done).  That will also save you if you loose the phone.
I thought the secret code/QR code would recover any "lost" google auth issues.

So as long as I have a backup of the QR code used to generate a working Google Authenticator token... it really doesn't matter what Google does, I can always get some copy of Authenticator from somewhere at some time and I can simply rescan and log in to Bitstamp or Mt. Gox, or whatever...

Is this a correct assessment?
Activity: 457
Merit: 250
I thought the secret code/QR code would recover any "lost" google auth issues.
Let's assume that one has 2-factor set up for Bitstamp.  At the time it was set up, the QR code used to authenticate was saved and printed out.

Suppose I just throw my phone into a fire, switch carriers, phone numbers, etc..., and download a new Google Authenticator to my new phone.

Now, will my previously saved QR printout work?  Or is there something unique about each Google Authenticator app that should be backed up as well.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Thanks for making this known! I almost certainly would have updated. Catastrophe avoided!
Decor in numeris
Did that and still didn't work. When I deleted the new GA app (or when you delete any app) it asks if you want to delete all the data that comes with it. In order to delete any app you have to say yes, is that why it probably didn't work? I know I've backed up my iPhone within the last few months so it doesn't make sense to me why it's not there.
It should be OK to delete the app's data - it should be restored when restoring from backup.  However, most people have automatic backups enabled, either over WiFi or when you connect the cable.  If a backup has occurred since you upgraded GA it is almost certainly too late.
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
Oops, just did...

I hate the red "1" sign on the top right, so I always upgrade everything as soon as it's available.

Just successfully recovered the old version in iTunes. Here is how I did it:

First of first, go to iTunes ASAP, locate your most updated iPhone backup and make a copy before you try any recover trick.

1. delete the new version of authenticator on your iPhone
2. disable auto sync in iTunes
3. Connect your iPhone via USB
4. Click your iPhone, then go to "application" tab
5. On the left side, scroll down, you gonna see the old version of authenticator, install it.

So close... Wink

Ok, so I unfortunately sync'ed my phone since updating the app. The last time my phone was backed up was 2 months ago. My keys were added after the last back-up. Am I screwed?!
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
Oops, just did...

I hate the red "1" sign on the top right, so I always upgrade everything as soon as it's available.

First of first, go to iTunes ASAP, locate your most updated iPhone backup and make a copy before you try any recover trick.

5. On the left side, scroll down, you gonna see the old version of authenticator, install it.

So close... Wink

Did that and still didn't work. When I deleted the new GA app (or when you delete any app) it asks if you want to delete all the data that comes with it. In order to delete any app you have to say yes, is that why it probably didn't work? I know I've backed up my iPhone within the last few months so it doesn't make sense to me why it's not there.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Any way to install old version from icloud?

If you have not sync'ed to icloud since upgrading, you can probably delete the app, and then restore from icloud.  

Yep, worked for me.  Phew.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

If you have not sync'ed to icloud since upgrading, you can probably delete the app, and then restore from icloud. 

It worked, thanks a lot!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Phew, I have feeling really f****
Decor in numeris

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001
Activity: 642
Evolution is the only way to survive
thanks for sharing!
Activity: 116
Merit: 10
Oops, just did...

So close... Wink
Pages:
Jump to: