Pages:
Author

Topic: Some one paid 1.0394BTC as fee for 2 transactions. - page 3. (Read 4467 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
He may of been fishing for 'fame' like some posters above stated but...

why be famous for being a money wasting moron and everyone thinks you made a mistake lol
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
As @franky1 suggests it is most likely a mistake with creating a "raw transaction" (it seems fairly obvious that the tx creator forgot to add a "change output").

Compared to the mistake that I made in 2013 (with a fee of over 100 BTC) it really isn't so bad. Wink

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/resolved-111-btc-as-fees-dont-do-raw-txs-when-youre-tired-135665

And the huge tx fee that I accidentally paid is not the highest on record (I forget exactly what the record is but it is well over 100).

I just read that thread, glad you got your coins back, back then. BTCGuild owner eleuthria is a great guy.

I still can't believe it. 111BTC fee. http://blockr.io/tx/info/098b3a9faeb2c6e5dc42878b9d0a1106d4aafce72c85d0eab54c384652e0bdbc

At current rate it translates to $46,600 while back then it was just worth $1,500. Which means a price of $13.5 per coin.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
why wasting all that on txs he could just donate it to some organisation better then to go to mining companys miners are not just relying on him to do this
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
As the title states. Why on earth would some one do this? Is it a mistake, or done on purpose?

This tx includes 0.2493BTC as fee; http://blockr.io/tx/info/621cd73e184ef9180f2b3451a1b5b244de48e07effc9be6b731f7466358a924f

This tx includes 0.7901BTC as fee; http://blockr.io/tx/info/07f11415bc6b6a4611c96812e2d40b8a53554e64c7f0bdf9a2bb7c6eeb2b43e7
I've seen alot of people do stuff like that just to donate and help support the miners, im guessing this person had the same intentions, its not that uncommon as you might think.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1113
move stolen coins fast? no, the fee is to high.
stupidity: maybe

i think that someone just wanted to get famous. and now he/she/they is on the best way to hit this goal.

I don't think so. Why would you try to be famous by losing money and staying anonymous.

Probably some guy who wanted to transfer his coins very fast and made a mistake.

now people are talking about this. and even more people are reading about this.
thats what i call fishing for attention. => publicity => fame.

loosing money?
if you have enough money and you are bored?

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091
It might be a hacker that somehow gained access to a wallet and trolled that person by sending the coins with ridiculous fees. Or the person in question is dumb.
Activity: 406

i think that someone just wanted to get famous. and now he/she/they is on the best way to hit this goal.

I don't think so. Why would you try to be famous by losing money and staying anonymous.

Probably some guy who wanted to transfer his coins very fast and made a mistake.
legendary
Activity: 1007
Merit: 1000
Am i correct in reading that both transaction amounts were actually less then 1 BTC each??? with that high of a tx fee??
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1113

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002
as per my knowledge if he has used web wallet then their is no chances of that much huge transactions fees as they have automated standard fee structure for transactions. ya if he has used any hardware wallet then their may be chances as in hardware wallet you can decide how much fees you have to pay for every transactions.

i am using electrum and in that their is a option of manually deciding the fees for transaction.
Activity: 560
Well looks like more to be a test transaction to see how  many time takes to get the transaction confirmed,but sure if not makes no sense to pay such fee,when i had read i thinked someone is moving a huge ammount of bitcoins...i thinked it were nakamoto waking up his wallets.
Activity: 770
✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪
Perhaps he was only testing if there would be a confirmation message for such a big fee... and the message did not come. Then he wanted to double-check it  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
he scammed someone maybe and want high priority for the transfer? this thing happned with the hacker on bitstamp, i remember the hacker payed 1 btc for the fee
But it's not Bitstamp. Bitstamp can detect the unauthorised TX fairly easily with the infrastructure and hence 1BTC would make any miner happy. No one in the right mind would immediately pay up to 1 BTC as a transaction fee just to prevent any double spend.

Judging by how both TXes only have one output. It would be possible that the client made an error and forgot to include any change address and thus the amount not redeemed is the miner fee. It's an expensive error.

is not for preventing double spend, it was for sending the funds asap , the hacked at that time did it for taht reason on bitstamp
Why would they want the funds ASAP? They need at least a confirmation to try to stop Bitstamp from double spending it. If they don't, Bitstamp can easily double spend it by asking a few miners to mine their TX and move it elsewhere.

it's not so easy for bitstamp to doublespend by asking miners, you say it like it's somethign they can do at will

the hacker wanted to get the funds asap to avoid the account being locked from bitstamp, supposedly
Activity: 636
That's another way for miners to launder coins. Big mining companies are launder their dirty coins with these tricks. They find the block so they get the same money, just changing it with a clean one. Left pocket to right pocket, not news. It happens since Lydians found money.
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform
Adoption is just around the corner, this is just more proof that bitcoin is simple to use.

First, what a waste. paying over 420 USD on fees. We use bitcoin because we like the low fees right Wink.

Anyway yes, a warning should have been displayed and/or a confirmation message for all transactions above 1 BTC stating the exact amounts is needed
F.e.
Payment 1.BTC
Fee 1.0001 BTC
Total 1.0001 BTC
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
Relayed bt IP: blockchain.info
Wallet is probably web wallet.

A warning should be displayed by wallets while sending with these kinda huge fees.
Or a raw TX constructed by user and relayed using: https://blockchain.info/pushtx
If you scammed someone why would you draw attention to it with a huge fee? A slightly above normal one's gonna do the job just fine. I guess it's probably an unfortunate mistake.
I agree with your opinion this is indeed a huge mistake and the sender is very unfortunate since there is no way it can be recovered this kind of things is the one that every one should be aware you can do that on paypal but never on bitcoin transaction where there is no third party that can help you recover the funds
If only the fee, it still can be recovered if pool which mined block that transaction want to give back it.
In past someone made same mistake, but the pool which mined block which has his transaction found out about this mistake & he gave back the huge fee to the owner.
But, i wonder if there are any pool which would do that Roll Eyes
There have been instances where a pool refunded the fees fully.[1][2] There is no chance of getting a refund with decentralised pool like p2pool or most pools. There is a higher chance with privately owned pools.
[1] https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/28-btc-transaction-fee-paid-help-please-final-update-refunded-by-ghashio-602152
[2] https://m.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1lb5my/asicminer_refunds_the_accidental_200_btc/
I don't think it's a pushed raw transaction.
Because you should say the miners fee to the wallet software.
Transaction fee is never specified. The transaction fee is always total input deduct total output. An error can be made while constructing a raw TX.
Activity: 661
Merit: 509
There is something in these transactions with "replace by fees" new method. As he wants to double spend a transaction to scam someone
But I still can not understand why he paid so much fees !

This replace by fees will be in Bitcoin Core 0.12, so not used much now. Deffinitively scammer paradise comming soon (after Bitcoin Core 0.12 released) before people learn to do not trust 0 confirmation transactions.

But this case looks more like pure mistake by somebody creating transaction itselves and overlooking/not understanding the fees.

Is there a source for that? I don't think this double spend feature will be added to the core wallet.
Activity: 700
Adoption is just around the corner, this is just more proof that bitcoin is simple to use.
Activity: 423
There is something in these transactions with "replace by fees" new method. As he wants to double spend a transaction to scam someone
But I still can not understand why he paid so much fees !

This replace by fees will be in Bitcoin Core 0.12, so not used much now. Deffinitively scammer paradise comming soon (after Bitcoin Core 0.12 released) before people learn to do not trust 0 confirmation transactions.

But this case looks more like pure mistake by somebody creating transaction itselves and overlooking/not understanding the fees.
Activity: 661
Merit: 509
Relayed bt IP: blockchain.info
Wallet is probably web wallet.

A warning should be displayed by wallets while sending with these kinda huge fees.
Or a raw TX constructed by user and relayed using: https://blockchain.info/pushtx
If you scammed someone why would you draw attention to it with a huge fee? A slightly above normal one's gonna do the job just fine. I guess it's probably an unfortunate mistake.
I agree with your opinion this is indeed a huge mistake and the sender is very unfortunate since there is no way it can be recovered this kind of things is the one that every one should be aware you can do that on paypal but never on bitcoin transaction where there is no third party that can help you recover the funds
If only the fee, it still can be recovered if pool which mined block that transaction want to give back it.
In past someone made same mistake, but the pool which mined block which has his transaction found out about this mistake & he gave back the huge fee to the owner.
But, i wonder if there are any pool which would do that Roll Eyes
There have been instances where a pool refunded the fees fully.[1][2] There is no chance of getting a refund with decentralised pool like p2pool or most pools. There is a higher chance with privately owned pools.
[1] https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/28-btc-transaction-fee-paid-help-please-final-update-refunded-by-ghashio-602152
[2] https://m.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1lb5my/asicminer_refunds_the_accidental_200_btc/
I don't think it's a pushed raw transaction.
Because you should say the miners fee to the wallet software.
Pages:
Jump to: