Pages:
Author

Topic: Some people say they will never sell BTC. Is there any reason for that? - page 3. (Read 272 times)

Activity: 2520
Merit: 783
So, time to time, I see some people saying they will never sell BTC. And I am thinking why is that? (I mean I understand that you can't say never, there will be a time you will have to use your BTC). Anyway, is there any calculations, reasoning behind this? Or it is just pure maximalism?

If there are reasons I would like to discuss them.   

Its easy to say that but actually hard to do especially if things will not go on our side and the value will decrease more due to unwanted market scenarios. But most of the time this statement will come out from people when there's good thing happened like this speculated event to come like halving. People usually hold their bitcoins for that reason so provably they would provably hold until next year for thinking that they can earn huge from its upper growth activity that could possibly happen in future.

Maybe other reason is they believe on bitcoins future but its hard to find those people hold for long term without any worry since most of people I meet is trading bitcoin for short term because they are afraid on its sudden market changes.
Activity: 2422
Merit: 266
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
So, time to time, I see some people saying they will never sell BTC. And I am thinking why is that? (I mean I understand that you can't say never, there will be a time you will have to use your BTC). Anyway, is there any calculations, reasoning behind this? Or it is just pure maximalism?

If you take it with literal meaning then what they are doing is investing their money for no reason at all but the term is never meant to be long term if I am not wrong. Because the potential of Bitcoin is way too far ahead and if you are tempted to cash out whenever you seem to feel bullish then you will be the guys who sold their BTC in 2014 and 2017 yet we are here at 2023 and one who sold at that period they thought they made huge profits which are true but if they are looking from today's perspective they missed it.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1321
CoinPoker.com

Because they chooses not to. But for me, cant say I wont sell or sold my bitcoin, thats one thing Id do but having bitcoin is like a lifetime gunner for your wealth but of course the action should be timely manner like the bitcoin hike happened and it did do some crazy pumped. But no one can really say their gonna hold off forever maybe Satoshi would do for the love of his project.
Activity: 2772
Merit: 518
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

Never sell their BTC? I don't believe it otherwise, they don't have a purpose of buying this.
People are investing in Bitcoin for profit, not just holding it forever. Meaning, it is a lie as sooner or later they will sell them, they just wait for the right time.

If you know someone who is buying Bitcoin, try to ask them the reason why and you get the answer. In fact, the price of Bitcoin continues to grow because of active trade -buy and sell demand. Never selling means that we are not helping the market to grow but stopping it.
Activity: 322
Merit: 176
Op see so far as investment or trading is concerned, no matter how much one has invested in bitcoin and recorded a lot of profits doesn't mean they ain't gonna sell it like what's the essence of investment? Isn't it to make profit? So how can someone say they won't sell their bitcoin, even if the person doesn't want to sell their bitcoin after making some profit from it I think that will be a higher risk because i feel that despite the volatility of bitcoin, it's future cannot be predicted yet despite making a head way since it was introduced but I feel bitcoin is still very young and requires some more years to be fully recognized as a Legal asset across the globe.

Moreover, hodling a volatile asset like bitcoin for a very long time without exchanging it to fiat or using it to make transactions doesn't make any sense at all as the coin can only be more valued if it is being spent or use it for exchanges.

Activity: 812
Merit: 560
So, time to time, I see some people saying they will never sell BTC. And I am thinking why is that?

You need to realized that bitcoin is a form of money in digital technology, just as you may wish to hold down your fiat curre for long without spending it for some specific reasons personal to you, you can also decided to hold bitcoin without selling or spending and what you gain after this is profitability, unlike fiat they its currency loose value over time, you can decide to leave your bitcoin as an inheritance for your children and later they amass wealth in it when they sell it out, so it's at someone's discretion to choose what to do with his digital currency.
Activity: 574
Merit: 566
Yep maybe they will never sell BTC instead they will spend BTC since BTC is a currency similar to fiat.

Maybe in the future many countries are accepting Bitcoin as a currency, so people will not hesitant to use their coins.

If they never want to sell BTC and spend BTC, they're just stupid because there's no point to hold a currency without use it.
Activity: 266
Merit: 113

If you check well, those are the ones that will sell their Bitcoin off immediately after a little problem hits them.  While it is okay to hold on to your bitcoin for future profit reasons, in the event of unplanned occurrence, you can't close your eyes to the reality and allow yourself go through pains and harsh condition when you have something you can sell off to offset your predicament.

I even feel that accumulating bitcoin is a two angle venture; it could serve the purpose of maximising profit in the future due to increase in it price and also be used as a saving or investment you can rely on in times when uncertainty might set in.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174
Professional Community manager
What I find more believable is when someone's says they will never completely liquidate their bitcoins. I sell from time to time as the need arises but will never cash out fully and hold zero bitcoins. More than that I will always view Bitcoin as a valid investment and keep some level of capital constantly shored up in it.

They are just lying in front of you in order to show how much they trust Bitcoin. If someone has no plan to sell their Bitcoin, not even after hundreds of years, either it is Satoshi, or they are just lying in front of you.
Some people can buy Bitcoin as a future plans for their children with no plan to sell during their lifetime. This technically passes as never selling your Bitcoin.
Activity: 644
Merit: 379

They are just lying in front of you in order to show how much they trust Bitcoin. If someone has no plan to sell their Bitcoin, not even after hundreds of years, either it is Satoshi, or they are just lying in front of you. There is no point in buying bitcoin, and holding it for decades, and does not have a plan to sell it. If someone buys Bitcoin and their Bitcoin grows in price, they are not in profit until they sell and cash it out. They are in profit, but it's unrealized gain. They must sell to gain the profit. So, it's just they want to encourage others to hold Bitcoin for a long time. I don't want to blame them for such statement.
Activity: 574
Merit: 129
Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

Its not true if there comes a time where they really need money, and don't have any choice they will sell their bitcoin, its just a matter of how important the situation, like for example hospitalization, or wedding, etc, it will come down how badly he needed money.
Activity: 139
Merit: 36

Pages:
Jump to: