Pages:
Author

Topic: Some random thoughts on avalon 6 antminer s-7 and j4bberwock/finksy boards - page 3. (Read 3362 times)

legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
Some one sent me some fan controllers to test out.  I need to do  a review on them.

they do allow for extra fans.  I plugged a pcie cable(yellow-black one) into one of the 2880 boards  and put a positive and negative into it.

here is an ebay link

I do not use the heat sensor or the alarm but it runs 3 fans fine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-PWM-PC-CPU-Fan-Temperature-Control-Speed-Controller-CPU-High-Temp-Alarm-/131557958526?

back to the problem at hand.

I think the finksy/j4bberwock boards are decent gear but as you see by the plugs they can blacken under a 250-275 watt draw.

So the avalon 6 with its 2 jack per board can pull that 250-275 watts.

My problem was discovered when we had two  82F  temp days last week .

My first  thought  was to use a y-cable to come from the break out board to the avalon 6
Activity: 462
Merit: 300
How do you power the 3 fans to cool the finksy/j4bberwock boards.  I can see two ports did blacken.
legendary
The avalon 6's are preferred for sound  and for the good service I get from yan of block_c

But they have some flaws.

First off they should have 6 pcie jacks not 4. _ this is a major design flaw.

The avalon 6 will pull 1000 to 1025 watts dc at freq 500

and that means 250 to 260 watts per pcie connection.

This is a lot to ask of a pcie connection  and now that I have run them long enough I am getting some heat darkened pcie jacks on the units and on the finksy/j4bberwock 2880 break out boards.

So what is the cure for this?  I have purchased this product

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/dehydrator-screen-material/food-dehydrator

let me show a few photos

three fans drag hot air away from the jacks

see jacks in this photo

Activity: 355
Merit: 276
So what about the avalon 6's.
legendary
Okay :

I have mined with the s-7 since sept 30
I have mined with the avalon 6's since Nov 22

I have used the 2880 break out boards
and the dual 2000/4000 break out boards

I can't comment on the newer s-7's

Since I am using a batch 1 and a batch 2

My experience with batch 1 was it underhashed and I sold it at a discount to buy solar I lent him an evga titanium 1600 watt psu to run it

It under hashes for him   but it has run none stop 24/7 since sept  and it does do close to .25 watts to the gh

My batch 2 s-7 sold as a 575 freq is basically a god   ,"not the god, but a god" I will give a prize to the first person that identifies that quote correctly.

I can over volt it to 12.5 watts with the finksy j4bberwock boards  and over clock it to freq 650  hash at 5200 gh at .25 watts and get 0.0005% error rate.

I run it under clocked in my friends office at freq 480 get  hashrate of 4000gh.

It is using a seasonic 1200 platinum psu and burns just under 1000 watts  with the under clock my error rate is under 0.0010 %  fans at 2500 rpm and it is a set it and forget piece of gear.

So basically I had a dud and a stud with the 2 s-7's.  

The other 17 or 18 I owned  were client's  except for one of them at li's China hosting site.

That was a batch one it was an underhashing unit and li was good enough to give me a credit for the underhashing.  I have sold it to a forum member and do not track it.  The ones for clients have been un-eventful  in that I got them on time and shipped them to my clients on time.  Our deal is as long as he or she gets them my part is over.  So basically I got them on time from bitmaintech and shipped them on time.

The s-7 will run in a hot spot I have had it run in 102 f  garage without issues.
They are loud but flexible over ducting make them much better sound wise with out restricting air flow.
Pages:
Jump to: