Pages:
Author

Topic: Some riser advice please - page 2. (Read 898 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 100
June 20, 2017, 05:22:54 PM
Anyone know where I can get those for cheaper?

I was invoiced directly and invoice was $1 per piece that seller was getting them at - but I couldn't source the company. I need about 200 of them but wouldn't mind buying a few thousand to have on hand.

None of the guys from alibaba have replied to us either which is weird since their price is even triple or more what I saw the invoice was for.
Activity: 192
June 20, 2017, 04:16:36 PM
Thanks guys appreciate the fast replies.

So the point of the adapter that comes with it is if you don't have enough extra 6pin connectors on your PSU?

The one I linked connects to the riser with a molex 6 pin and the other end that connects to the PSU is Sata.  Does it matter what the end that connects to the PSU is?  Will the one linked provide the most power compared to other conenctors?

Is it only the Riser end as Sata which is not as good?
Activity: 258
Merit: 104
June 20, 2017, 10:03:52 AM
Not to mention, sata connectors are only rated to handle 4.5 amps which equates to 54 watts.  If you trying to power a 1080ti with a sata connector to the riser you are taking a much greater risk than if you used molex or 6 pin.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 606
June 20, 2017, 09:40:22 AM
There is not so much models : they are all the same.
The only choice is the connector : take those who can connect directly to your PSU, whithout adaptors.

There is definite quality difference between risers. The better risers, like the ones in the OP link have four capacitors for a more stable current flow compared to the three used by the molex and sata risers and also have a voltage regulator to prevent spikes. The 6-pin risers also use three thicker wires that are designed to spread a higher 12V load instead of the two thinner wires used by molex and sata connectors.
Activity: 826
Merit: 440
June 20, 2017, 09:34:15 AM
There is not so much models : they are all the same.
The only choice is the connector : take those who can connect directly to your PSU, whithout adaptors.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
June 20, 2017, 08:40:18 AM
Just sort by number of orders and then look for reviews on specific listing. Also make sure to use either air or aliexpress standard shipping, otherwise be prepared for a long wait.
Those you linked are ok, but not available.
Go ahead and plug one of your 6pin pcie connectors to the riser, just make sure you buy riser with 6pin connector Smiley
Actually it is the best method of powering risers, so no worries.
Activity: 192
June 20, 2017, 06:34:32 AM
Question about risers.

I have an older Gigabyte motherboard its a P67-xxxxx running and i5 CPU.  It has two full PCI-e slots and I am currently running two 1080 ti FE on it as an open air rig.  It also has one small PCI-e slot.

I have a third card running on an even older motherboard that only has one PCI-e slot.  I want to get rid of this and get all three cards running on the open air rig.

I know I can probably do this with a riser.  Is there any gotcha's with slightly older motherboards?  At this stage I dont want to purchase a new motherboard if this one is going to do the job.

I was looking at this Riser.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/TISHRIC-VER006C-Blue-PCI-E-Extender-1x-to-16x-PCI-Express-Riser-Card-60cm-USB-3/2942230_32808611545.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.JffWvK

I have a 1000W PSU connected to this rig.  (slightly overkill I know but huge shortage of plat PSU in newzealand i didnt have a choice).  I was thinking if I get the 6 pin riser I can plug a connector directly from my power supply to the riser as I have heaps of extra connectors rather than using the adapter that comes with it.  Is this advisable?

Or is it better to use the adapter and connect it to one of Sata power connectors?

Is the linked version the type I should be going for there is several to pick from.  What do I need to look out for when buying off ali express? I am limited to buying from there as I can't really find them in my country.

Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: