Pages:
Author

Topic: Somebody paid $310,000 in transaction fee to send 0.1eth - page 5. (Read 978 times)

Activity: 950
Merit: 120
CryptoGames: Revamped Games, Multiple Coins
Activity: 145
Merit: 1
That is a large amount of fee, I am sure he will definitely regret his actions. This is why checking is very important, especially when we set the transaction speed (gwei). Because if we mistakenly set gwei, it will cause a higher fee. I hope that the incident will not happen again in the future, because we cannot take our Ethereum anymore.
copper member
Activity: 336
Merit: 3
Cryptoknowmics - World's First Decentralized Media
Poor guy, it is unbelievable to pay so much money for a small transaction. I hope there will be a solution for a double spending problem and we would not face such awful things in the future. I cannot believe in this still.
Activity: 230
Merit: 10
Wow!
Why would somebody do that? and what has caused that?
Is that some bug?
If it is , then miners have been so happy about it!
Activity: 507
Merit: 100
I heard that now the mining pool froze the money and wants to return it to the person who committed this transaction
Activity: 280
Merit: 2
This is an honest mistake and I'm sure wherever he is now You would be explain himself I guess he got it mixed up or maybe he was high But I also heard of a case where The miner mining the block was actually asked to refund the money in other not to cause commotion or inflate gas fee, its an honest mistake tho and i feel really sad for him because he would probably lose his job
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018
Wallets should really be setting a transaction fee that is considerable to have its confirmation faster, I can imagine how the person's face after learning he sent so much money as transactions after sending few bucks to someone.

Don't you think its the ZERO or any other number on his keyboard that stuck when editing the transaction fee that causes this misfortune?
copper member
Activity: 168
Merit: 0
Thats crazy Smiley It shows us why we need to check 2 times before we approve any transaction. They must got hard pains after they realize what they have done.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002
had seen the news in the media crew a few hours ago I thought aimed at the miners, it looks like someone was not an ordinary person by see all the eth wallet transactions of that person so many eth collected by him but it is likely that there was an error between the fee box and box inverted shipping
Activity: 294
I do not know if this person didnt know what they did and switch the sending amount with the transaction fee or what happened. But I think their boss will be giving them a talk tomorrow morning on why their customer didnt get the payment they were suposse to.

That is 2100 ethereum to the miners. As the comments say "They must be happy! Grin"
 Roll Eyes
https://etherscan.io/tx/0x1f73b43dc9c48cc131a931fac7095de9e5eba0c5184ec0c5c5f1f32efa2a6bab

it hurts by just looking on it. I don't know that thing was possible on ethereum blockchain. Why did he/she not double checked it. If you sending that kind of amount you should check it twice or more. Hoping that the miners sent back the transaction fee the the sender's address.
Activity: 552
Merit: 1
The sender might have some defects that need to be corrected, which could be eye defect.
Come to think of it, he should have then allowed someone else to get it done for for him, because I am trying to imagine the condition he would be now.
If someone like me, who has nothing or not even rich, makes such a mistake, I will just quit.
Activity: 625
To be honest, I thought it was a joke. However, looking at your screenshots and comments, I realized that it was not. It's terrible. It is interesting whether it is possible to sue this employee from the court through the court because the amount is too large.
Activity: 3024
Merit: 680
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
$310,000 boy just for that transaction fee.

I wouldn't know what I can do to myself if I commit that myself. I hope that good will shall come and the amount will be sent back.
It was said earlier it happened on the bitcoin blockchain several years ago and the pool who received the botched amount sent as the the transaction fee resent it back to the sending address.
So you never know as this recent incident happened just today about 21 hours 21 minutes ago. Smiley
Yes, I'm aware that it happened recently.

It's a lot of money and hoping that this kind of incident won't happen again.  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 2996
Merit: 1188
Dude probably meant to send 2100 eth and pay 0.1 as the transaction fee but mistook the places in between. This has happened multiple times in many coins before, people keep doing the same mistake, thankfully that money is not going to waste, the miners who take the fee's take that money so its still in circulation and not lost but we need to find a way to fix this.

For example, a blockchain that basically stops people from sending too much money as a fee would be a good option, think of ethereum and when you want to send money blockchain declines anything over 1 eth for transaction fee? That would be super cool but I am not a developer so I don't know how it could be done.

That would prevent stuff like these to happen and we would be at least ease in mind about our transactions and making mistakes like this.
Activity: 336
Merit: 11
he got one job and really mess it up. this guy really need a glass of coffee. he probably use myetherwallet new interface and got confused when he set gas fee.
ETH upgrade fork should include a change of fee limit on ETH, so unwantted accident like this not repeated again.
Activity: 1820
Merit: 107
I do not know if this person didnt know what they did and switch the sending amount with the transaction fee or what happened. But I think their boss will be giving them a talk tomorrow morning on why their customer didnt get the payment they were suposse to.

That is 2100 ethereum to the miners. As the comments say "They must be happy! Grin"
 Roll Eyes
https://etherscan.io/tx/0x1f73b43dc9c48cc131a931fac7095de9e5eba0c5184ec0c5c5f1f32efa2a6bab
This is crazy I think its a huge mistake and the person who send those transaction is in deep trouble now, if he just an employee. But what if the person who send those transaction is the big boss herself hes in vain now im sure.
Activity: 1382
Merit: 105
My be he is unknown person who is sending ETH ,in my point of view he was setting gas price that is default 21000 and new version of ETH is also reason the mistake.
Activity: 1358
what the fuck? he really didn't see that big transaction fee? what a big loss for him, I think he was drunk that time maybe he just tried to set the fastest transaction. Grin
Activity: 686
Merit: 125
Wow, what a great loss to this transaction. I think there is really nothing good here that happen. This is a very bad day I guess a newbie doing a experiment transaction that relatively failed due lack of knowledge and understanding about how transfer of coins or tokens work.
copper member
Activity: 493
Merit: 13

Roll Eyes
I saw this on the news yesterday... this may just be a developer bug on the ethereum network..  Why would anyone wanna temper with the recommended gas fee given by the wallet address?? It's just not right... there may be more to this story
Pages:
Jump to: