Pages:
Author

Topic: Sony Pictures Pulls “The Interview” From Theaters - page 4. (Read 4062 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 503
As I said in https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9884609 this might just be a marketing move. With the attention the hack got, no matter who did it, build up even more attention, then release the movie some time later. That or those 100TB contain something Sony wants to keep secret at all costs.

I highly doubt it is a marketing move.  The hackers made off with a tonne of information from Sony, some of it highly personal and sensitive.  They have halted tours of their studios, and Sony employees have filed a class action lawsuit against them for leaking the data. They've also lost a ton of brand power, productivity, and reputation over this. I'm sure lots of people have lost theirs jobs as well. 

If it is a marketing move, it's a highly risky one.  Sony has a lot more to lose over this than gain.  Pisses me off, I was looking forward to seeing it.  They filmed much of it in Vancouver.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014
All I can say, respect to North-Koreans (whatever my view on the N-K policies are otherwise). They show in a no-nonsense way that they are no push-overs.  Grin
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
the rumor I heard is the movie wasnt creating the buzz they thought it would along with poor testing with test groups.

Also I'm sure when they do release it in the future or in demand or dvd whatever.... It will do double what it would of done just being a bad movie with moderately funny people.

Even if the movie was testing poorly, they wouldn't go to this length in order to make sure that the movie doesn't come out. 

They are losing millions of dollars on this, and thats all they are thinking about is trying to minimize the amount of loss they will have on this project.
Activity: 434
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
the rumor I heard is the movie wasnt creating the buzz they thought it would along with poor testing with test groups.

Also I'm sure when they do release it in the future or in demand or dvd whatever.... It will do double what it would of done just being a bad movie with moderately funny people.
Activity: 308

I'm disappointed to see them cave over some obviously empty threats.  Score one for terrorism.

I had a conversation with someone about this actually.  Although it truly sucks that they pulled it, they had no other option but to pull it.  If someone were to even get hurt at any place due to this movie.  The lawsuit would be terrible. 

Until Sony and the government actually find out who is hacking, they have full control
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
If a North Korean movie came out about an attempted hit on the president, there would be a lot of protest and people calling it propaganda.

Am I against freedom of expression? No, but I think there is a major double standard here. That and North Korea doesn't need any more reasons somewhat fictional or not, to suspect the US of an assassination attempt against Kim.

In agreement, the fact that the people decided to make this a Christmas release as well just seems like they were egging North Korea to retaliate in one way or the other, if someone here released a lets all kill Obama the comedy on Christmas a storm would ensue, at least with Team America World Police it was puppets and everyone was well owned. (Although steelhouse has a good one Obama gets owned by ISIS and a bunch of rape occurs as a bonus lets make this a holiday release imagine the outcry)

Simple enough solution don't make movies about assassinating heads of states when their alive especially if your technically hostile to them lol.
Activity: 717
Merit: 501
I've personally been against this movie all along (even before the Sony hack and such) and I'm glad they stopped showing it. There is a very obvious difference between parody movies (think Team America World Police) and a thinly veiled realistic threat that the US is going to use the media to assassinate the leader of North Korea. I wasn't worried about hurting Kim Jong Un's feelings, I was worried that the movie would make him more paranoid and it would put Americans or suspected Americans in danger. Look at American cinematography, there are hundreds of movies about the president being kidnapped by terrorists, aliens, the works, but they are always either fictional presidents or an already dead ones. If a North Korean movie came out about an attempted hit on the president, there would be a lot of protest and people calling it propaganda.

Am I against freedom of expression? No, but I think there is a major double standard here. That and North Korea doesn't need any more reasons somewhat fictional or not, to suspect the US of an assassination attempt against Kim.

I agree with you 100%.  I guess Charlie Chaplin put out "The Great Dictator" of a living dictator.  People assume the world is sane, it is not NK might change their target to Hollywood and I live near there.  Why would anyone even offer to do this job, Rogan et. al. must be idiots.  It is really a sign of U.S. arrogance and self -righteousness. This movie is going to get into NK and the people are going to see it.  What next an ISIS movie about beheading Obama and raping his daughters, ha ha. Horrible!
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
Cowards, the lot of them, North Korea just won this battle, for all the trash talking the American congress does on camera they certainly can't back it up when facing a country that has an actual standing army.
Activity: 675
Merit: 500
As I said in https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9884609 this might just be a marketing move. With the attention the hack got, no matter who did it, build up even more attention, then release the movie some time later. That or those 100TB contain something Sony wants to keep secret at all costs.

Pulling out the movie doesn't show Sony in a favourable light.
Plus they already got a lot of publicity until now; no point in postponing the movie release.
legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1001
Activity: 675
Merit: 500
This has been done when the Department of Homeland Security says that the threat is not credible.
They should have shown more spine.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
I've personally been against this movie all along (even before the Sony hack and such) and I'm glad they stopped showing it. There is a very obvious difference between parody movies (think Team America World Police) and a thinly veiled realistic threat that the US is going to use the media to assassinate the leader of North Korea. I wasn't worried about hurting Kim Jong Un's feelings, I was worried that the movie would make him more paranoid and it would put Americans or suspected Americans in danger. Look at American cinematography, there are hundreds of movies about the president being kidnapped by terrorists, aliens, the works, but they are always either fictional presidents or an already dead ones. If a North Korean movie came out about an attempted hit on the president, there would be a lot of protest and people calling it propaganda.

Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
The decision was the depressing climax to a weeks-long nightmare after Sony Pictures Entertainment suffered on Nov. 24 a massive and unprecedented hack of roughly 100TB of embarrassing, sensitive, and confidential data. On Monday, the group claiming responsibility for the hack, who call themselves Guardians of Peace, threatened theaters that plan on showing the film The Interview — which depicts the assassination of North Korea leader Kim Jong Un. “We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places ‘The Interview’ be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to,” the group said in a statement. “Remember the 11th of September 2001.”

I'm disappointed to see them cave over some obviously empty threats.  Score one for terrorism.
Pages:
Jump to: