Pages:
Author

Topic: South Africa Kidnappers demands Ransom in Bitcoin to free teenager - page 2. (Read 406 times)

Activity: 133
Merit: 0
well am so sorry for the family affected though, lots of haters of bitcoin will start to carry this bad news around now knowing fully well that it will tag bitcoin with negative comments from the public. but i want us all to know that there is nothing that cannot be abused, so the terrorist groups also know that the best way to obtain ransom fee without getting compromised with their identity by their prey or police is through BTC since it can be anonymously transfer without a trace.
Activity: 336
Merit: 20
the criminal rate there is very high., I think this is a stupid act, but on the other side, crypto has become a trend in the world. so crypto will be more popular.

does the kidnapper have not a better way to get crypto?

and this is the lesson for us, to be more careful, we better not talk much about the amount of crypto we have. and do not spread to others.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028
It's not new anymore, a lots of previous incidents happened before and didn't change any critics points of view, bitcoin is a currency and if those kidnappers are well informed how to use this system to avoid physical contacts with the family of their victims then we cant deny the fact that they will use it for their benefits, nothing was change and nothing is new with this news, better to research more about bitcoin history and learn from those previous information.
Activity: 280
Thats aweful since then, when the criminals are still free, when they going to free the kidnap victim, Bitcoin transaction is hiding someones identity!
Activity: 150
Merit: 29
Happy mother of 5 children
Of course, this story about the abduction of a teenager is just terrible! But this does not affect the use of bitcoin - the bandits could demand a ransom in fiat money. It's strange that they know anything about bitcoins at all...
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 6403
Blackjack.fun
How will such news affect critics view of bitcoins?

It's not the first, and it's not going to be the last, so nobody cares about this anymore.
Just two months ago:

Kidnappers demand ransom in bitcoin
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/kidnappers-demand-ransom-in-bitcoin/

And that's nothing compared to this one:
Taiwanese Kidnappers Receive $1.68M Bitcoin Ransom from Billionaire Yuk-Kwan
https://cointelegraph.com/news/taiwanese-kidnappers-receive-168m-bitcoin-ransom-from-billionaire-yuk-kwan

Do a google search and I'm willing to be you;re going to find at least 10 cases in less than 5 minutes..

So, if you're expecting something big, you're going to be disappointed
Activity: 983
Merit: 502
Surely this would be difficult if we see that most people out there use all the means to extradite Bitcoin extensively, whether it's for the needs of terrorists whether a gang of segrombols that seeks to take advantage of the moment, at least it can be followed up by the local authorities how to unveil the victims of the kidnappers who notabennya request ransom Bitcoin which is calculated very much ...
Activity: 196
Merit: 20
A criminal gang in South Africa who kidnapped a teenage boy on Sunday are demanding a ransom in bitcoin crytocurrency of nearly $120,000, police said.

http://www.africanews.com/2018/05/23/south-africa-kidnappers-demand-ransom-in-bitcoin-to-free-teenager

hmm every news is good news? for sure this will affect the view of btc to some. but on the other hand side btc becomes popular..
Activity: 448
Merit: 4
I don't think so,but maybe you just read a fake news! There's no bad elements who will plan to kidnap their subject just for ransom of bitcoin instead of hard cash.
Activity: 238
I wish that teenager become free soon from the kidnapper. This news is a sighn that what kind of things bad people do for bitcoin. The demand of bitcoin is rising so its price. But whenever we do something we also think about our future. It is also a good sign for us that we can invest in bitcoin trading.
Activity: 56
A criminal gang in South Africa who kidnapped a teenage boy on Sunday are demanding a ransom in bitcoin crytocurrency of nearly $120,000, police said.

http://www.africanews.com/2018/05/23/south-africa-kidnappers-demand-ransom-in-bitcoin-to-free-teenager
 Another FUD in the social media stream, it'is not a new one, it's been a strategy that big whales and other manipulators being orchestrated for a long time but still there are weak people are victimized with this kind of strategy, but if this news is really true then it could be creating another negative effect as it is one reason with why regulation being impose.
Activity: 56
I sympathize with the aggrieved family. But asking for bitcoin as ransome is a bit awkward.
Activity: 448
Merit: 1
New innovation lol with kidnappers maybe they might have been told the value of it so they want to explore to know it feels to own it ,But honestly speaking this a whole new negative point on bitcoin God help us.
Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

These are calibre of people that we should collectively castigate and ensure they are not getting any support despite our love for crypto currency. People like this are continuing in destroying the already fragile relationship between government and their grouse against bitcoin. Even though government have their own blame for not ensuring that security of life and property is adequate, they would then use this as an excuse to further launch their attacks against bitcoin forgetting with less emphasis on their own inefficiencies.

We can only hope that the young lad is return back to his family unhurt because I can imagine the trauma that he would have been through with the hope of those people getting caught dimmer than if other form of payment have been requested.
Activity: 1834
Merit: 759
I don't think it'll change critics' views. They've already made up their minds that Bitcoin is evil, so this is just another drop in the bucket. Never mind the fact that kidnappers have asked for cash in kidnappings since time immemorial.

But yeah, it kind of baffles me why they would ask Bitcoins as ransom money. They realize they're going to have a ridiculously hard time spending it because the addresses involved will be heavily monitored right? Cash would be a lot easier to hide and spend. They're probably planning to escape overseas or something, and even then, their identities could still be traced fairly easily. It kind of makes me think that the kidnappers themselves know nothing about the technology. Misconceptions work both ways, if that were the case, and they will be brought to justice because of Bitcoin lmao.
Activity: 93
Merit: 1
Mountains is my passion
Not bitcoins fault really is it
You have money and go to such places then you are taking a risk........ sometimes it doesn't pay off.
Hopefully the transaction goes through and the kidnappers release them unharmed... takes pressure off of the kidnappers and less likely to encourage a failed rescue attempt than a cash settlement
This is more of an indication that the some countries have failed to address social problems ... I would say it is far worse news for s africa than it is for btc that is doing its job perfectly.

Yeah, I think they're using Bitcoin name just to get more attention, there is no point in blaming cryptocurrency. Same way that people can kidnap a kid and demand Dollars or Euros  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353

Of course this will be another negative for bitcoin as a whole. And those who are against bitcoin will really used this crimes another way to opposed it in every way. Maybe those critics inside Africa will blow this out of the proportion and painted bitcoin as a tool for criminals. As for the price, it may have affected it but I don't think that it will be long term though. Right now the price keeps going down and maybe this news have added fuel to the fire. But if you are going to analyze it, criminals will be criminals and will exploit any system that they can find and crypto is one system that they can take full advantage because of its (pseudo) anonymity.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167
MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG
Not bitcoins fault really is it

You have money and go to such places then you are taking a risk........ sometimes it doesn't pay off.

Hopefully the transaction goes through and the kidnappers release them unharmed... takes pressure off of the kidnappers and less likely to encourage a failed rescue attempt than a cash settlement

This is more of an indication that the some countries have failed to address social problems ... I would say it is far worse news for s africa than it is for btc that is doing its job perfectly.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
Abductions happen every day and this is nothing new, also there is a reports that kidnappers ask ransome in cryptocurrency before. But BTC is not completely anonymous and in such cases special efforts can be made to find the kidnappers. It is obvious that these perpetrators are not familiar with facts that they can ask ransome in some other crypto which is much harder or nearly impossible to track.

Such news certainly does not contribute to popularity of BTC, but they should be seen as just one more obstacle on the road to success.
Activity: 358
Merit: 11
A bad news for bitcoins that will affect its implicitly. The criminality that bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies can be use for is the main reason why banks and governments dont want to give it a full support. Other bad people will follow and it will become norm for kidnappers to demand their ransom in cryptocurrencies.
Pages:
Jump to: